Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
What do you do? Gluten free
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Yesterday at 11:45 am
What type of chicken do you want to do?
You can do chicken marsala but instead of dredging in flour use corn/potato starch

Gluten free products:
Taanug rice crispies
Ungers gefilte
la choy soy sauce

For warm dessert cube apples bake with cinnamon and sugar serve warm with scoop of vanilla ice cream

tichellady

Post Yesterday at 12:38 pm
You can make poached pears, flourless almond or peanut butter cookies and almond flour chocolate chip squares for dessert

rae

Post Yesterday at 12:48 pm
It’s pretty late to be told that they need gluten free. I would serve my regular menu and make sure there are two options for them to eat every meal
You can quickly grill chicken cutlets, oyster steak. Throw in sweet potatoes or baked potatoes before the meal and have fresh salads.

amother
Seablue  

Post Yesterday at 12:52 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Yes, not hard once you find the substitute. There is gluten free call easy puff pastry you can buy in some kosher supermarkets have it. Leach Rice Krispies is only company that is gluten free, gefen corn flakes, rorie flour or almond flour is gluten free, there’s coconut aminos soy sauce and teriyaki sauce that’s gluten free. brown rice pasta or they sell cassava flour pasta and orzo. But easiest is rice and potatoes if you don’t want to make all new dishes for guest. Just make same things with substituting different ingredients.
Not so hard once you know the products you can improvise with

I believe Taanug is good too

Gefen cornflake crumbs are good. Make sure the ingredients read just corn and salt

amother
  Seablue  

Post Yesterday at 12:53 pm
tichellady wrote:
I would skip the gf substitutes and Just make some normal food for them - chicken, sweet potatoes, roasted veggies, etc
Your kids are likely not going to like gf puff pastry and breadcrumbs

Taamti Puff PAstry is practically like the Gluten version.

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Yesterday at 12:56 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Taamti Puff PAstry is practically like the Gluten version.

Where do they sell it? I havent seen it..

amother
  Seablue

Post Yesterday at 12:58 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Where do they sell it? I havent seen it..

I've seen it in Shoprite, but it's a seasonal item so it's possible that they don't have it in stock. you can call them at (718) 369-4600 (which is kedem, their parent company) to ask which local stores stock it all year round. Not really helpful I know.

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Yesterday at 1:00 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I've seen it in Shoprite, but it's a seasonal item so it's possible that they don't have it in stock. you can call them at (718) 369-4600 (which is kedem, their parent company) to ask which local stores stock it all year round. Not really helpful I know.

Thanks.
In shoprite it by gf section?

farm

Post Yesterday at 5:18 pm
If it was me, I would tell them I finished cooking and they should please bring along challah they can eat, as well as a hearty dish. Then I would make GF chicken and a steamed veggie side dish so they have 2 options available and serve my usual menu and call it a day.
I must be the grinch. And I’m truly inspired by all of your tzidkaniyos willing to reshop and recook to accommodate a pretty challenging dietary requirement for a family not used to this!

amother
Honeydew

Post Yesterday at 5:27 pm
Didn't read the whole thread, but I have a few gf kids.

1) ask them to bring their own hamotzi.

2) salmon with gluten free soy sauce (we use la choy) and whatever else you like on your salmon (brown sugar and garlic is yummy). Or just lemon juice and herbs.

3) main- chicken on the bone with bbq sauce (most are gf, just check) or schnitzel with gf cornflake crumbs (gefen makes them) or a roast or London broil. You can also do mini meatballs over rice. Also stuffed cabbage but it's late to start that.

4) Sides- think rice, potatoes, roast veggies, kugels

5) dessert- this is the annoying one. Fresh fruit, pareve ice cream, invite them to bring gluten free desserts.

amother
Banana

Post Yesterday at 5:57 pm
I'm not sure whether this is health or allergy as to how careful to be. As someone who is gluten free, I always bring my own challah, I don't expect my host to try and bake gf challos, or buy for me.
Most real food is naturally gluten free and as long as you have one or two things that they can eat, it's fine if you are also serving gluten options.
I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of buying gf pastry or anything like that, especially if you've never worked with it before, or know how careful to be with cross contamination.
I would just do some of the portions without gluten. Think basic marinade or potatoes, or rice. As long as you're careful with what you flavor with that it doesn't contain gluten.

mushkamothers

Post Yesterday at 6:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I already cooked most of Yom tov.
I didn't do my grains, salads, salmon or chicken.
Do I not serve my kugels, pies, pastries?
How can I make chicken cutlets or chicken festive? I don't want to do shnitzel or regular spices.
Also it's really cold here. Normally I would just do ice cream for gluten free dessert but I'm doing hot baked desserts.
Thanks for telling me about malt. I never knew to look at that.

Make your salmon and chicken GF (soy sauce has gluten)
Make a grain that isn't pasta- like rice or something
Make 1 roasted veggie side
Have fresh fruit option for dessert - can be as simple as grapes

Done. Serve all your regular food as usual. Don't buy or make anything special.

ra_mom  

Post Yesterday at 7:58 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Make your salmon and chicken GF (soy sauce has gluten)
Make a grain that isn't pasta- like rice or something
Make 1 roasted veggie side
Have fresh fruit option for dessert - can be as simple as grapes

Done. Serve all your regular food as usual. Don't buy or make anything special.

This.

If you need help making the salmon and chicken let us know.

Have a veggie dish at every meal that is just veggies. Fresh salad or green beans or broccoli, anything. You can make one or two and keep taking out a bit of the same for each meal. Pair that withba carb side at each meal that isn't gluten (potato, rice, quinoa). Again, you can make one or two of the above and keep bringing some out.

Make sure she's bringing her own challah alternative.

Enjoy Y"T!

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 9:04 pm
Any salmon ideas?
Chicken cutlets dressed up ideas that aren't shnitzel?

I just checked and my soy sauce and BBQ sauce have gluten.

amother
  Whitewash

Post Yesterday at 9:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any salmon ideas?

Chicken marsala (use corn starch or potato starch instead of flour)
chicken pastrami rollups
italian seasoning chicken fingers with pastrami sauce (marinate chicken in italian dressing then coat in gefen cornflake crumbs and bake/fry make sauce saute onion add strips/cubes pastrami, ducksauce drop of ketchup brown sugar and water)
grilled balsamic herb chicken

salmon
traditional cooked sweet n sour/pickled
or
sprinkle salt and garlic, mix duck sauce and mustard spread over fish sprinkle gefen corn flake crumbs
or lemon juice and herbs

ra_mom

Post Yesterday at 9:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any salmon ideas?

Lemon Garlic Salmon

1 1/4 lbs. salmon fillets
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (3/4 to 1 teaspoon if using table salt)
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Soak salmon in lemon juice for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
Arrange tightly packed in a greased baking pan.
Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over salmon.
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 degrees, for 18 minutes.

Honey Mustard Salmon

1/4 cup deli or dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Season salmon with salt and pepper. Mix up mustar, honey, brown sugar and garlic, and spoon over salmon.
Bake at 375 for 18 minutes.

Sesame Style Chicken

Season (garlic and salt) and fry or stir fry chicken breast cubes. Mix up 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup ketchup (heinz is GF), 1 cup water. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with sesame. Bake covered 20 minutes (or just warm it for meal covered with the sauce poured on).

Snickers18

Post Yesterday at 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I already cooked most of Yom tov.
I didn't do my grains, salads, salmon or chicken.
Do I not serve my kugels, pies, pastries?
How can I make chicken cutlets or chicken festive? I don't want to do shnitzel or regular spices.
Also it's really cold here. Normally I would just do ice cream for gluten free dessert but I'm doing hot baked desserts.
Thanks for telling me about malt. I never knew to look at that.

Crumbles and crisps are easy and you can make them gluten free (most oats are GF).

Do you know whether they have celiac or a gluten allergy? There’s usually a difference. We have lots of GF guests but the ones with celiac have to be way more careful. The ones with allergies will usually eat the matzah ball soup with no matzah ball, whereas those with celiac wouldn’t touch the soup. Most of our guests with allergies will eat stuff with small quantities of soy sauce but those with celiac cannot.

amother
Poppy

Post Yesterday at 11:16 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
Crumbles and crisps are easy and you can make them gluten free (most oats are GF).

Do you know whether they have celiac or a gluten allergy? There’s usually a difference. We have lots of GF guests but the ones with celiac have to be way more careful. The ones with allergies will usually eat the matzah ball soup with no matzah ball, whereas those with celiac wouldn’t touch the soup. Most of our guests with allergies will eat stuff with small quantities of soy sauce but those with celiac cannot.
Lots of disinformation :-/

Most oats are NOT gluten free. They need to specifically be gf certified.

I can't imagine that people that have a wheat allergy can eat soup that a matzah ball was cooked in or soy sauce, even in small quantities.

Maybe you mean a gluten sensitivity, not a true allergy?

amother
Jetblack

Post Yesterday at 11:18 pm
Definitely serve your regular gluten dishes as well! I like fruit and pudding for dessert. Also Katz's makes baked goods you can warm.

amother
Tealblue

Post Yesterday at 11:24 pm
There are gluten free panko crumbs that are good like the Jeff Nathan one. But if they just told you, I would make it simple, salad, rice, chicken, and roasted veggies.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics