Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lower a1c
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:40 pm
I’m so upset and confused.

I’ve been working so hard on eating properly, excited to get my A1c down. It was 5.8 in July and I took a blood test last week and it went up a few points!! The entire last 7 weeks I have been eating 1000 percent clean, very low carb and zero sugar… aside from a small amount of maple syrup. I’ve also been exercising regularly. I really don’t understand. I was so shocked that my number went up. Could it be because the first two months, July and August I wasn’t eating so well? Do the last seven weeks have no impact on the number at all or I guess it could’ve been even higher if I wasn’t eating well.

could it be that there’s something else going on? Is there something else I should be addressing? my brilliant doctor just said to eat better.

I’ve also been taking berberine and inositol. Inositol has worked to lower my number in the past

amother
Vermilion  

Post Yesterday at 5:46 pm
Do you need to lose weight? My A1C was high too. They said cut sugar and carbs (use brown rice, quinoa), but they also said it helps to lose a few pounds.

amother
PlumPink  

Post Yesterday at 5:48 pm
It could take longer than that to see, I think about 3 months. I don't know the exact science but something about the life cycle or memory of the cells connected to insulin/blood sugar. Keep doing what you're doing and recheck it in few more weeks. And make sure you're keeping your workouts to low-impact, non-stressful because that can actually have a adverse reaction for some people, causing their cortisol to shoot up which in turn triggers blood sugar levels.

amother
Lightgray  

Can you get a CGM? It can really help to find hidden spikes.

amother
Magenta

amother OP wrote:
I’m so upset and confused.

I’ve been working so hard on eating properly, excited to get my A1c down. It was 5.8 in July and I took a blood test last week and it went up a few points!! The entire last 7 weeks I have been eating 1000 percent clean, very low carb and zero sugar… aside from a small amount of maple syrup. I’ve also been exercising regularly. I really don’t understand. I was so shocked that my number went up. Could it be because the first two months, July and August I wasn’t eating so well? Do the last seven weeks have no impact on the number at all or I guess it could’ve been even higher if I wasn’t eating well.

could it be that there’s something else going on? Is there something else I should be addressing? my brilliant doctor just said to eat better.

I’ve also been taking berberine and inositol. Inositol has worked to lower my number in the past

I'm so sorry, that must feel so frustrating to have worked so hard and not to see the results!
The A1C reflects the average blood sugar over the past three months, so if you've been focusing more the past 7 weeks it wouldn't give as accurate a picture. It's measuring the sugar attached to your hemoglobin, and hemoglobin life span is around 120 days.

I'm also trying to lower my blood sugar since I had gestationaldiabetesmy last pregnancy, would you mind sharing your tips and tricks? What should I know about inositol, never heard of it

agreer

Post Yesterday at 5:51 pm
You need to add exercise in - easy exercise like walking is ideal. If you can walk after supper, that's fantastic, but anytime will do.

Also, don't eat 4 hrs before bedtime. That helps a lot.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:07 pm
What would a hidden spike be?

I stop eating around 6pm and don’t eat until after 9am

I’ve been walking almost daily.. but with all the chagiim I haven’t done it every day

chocolate moose

Post Yesterday at 6:59 pm
it could be stress. are you sleeping enough?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:08 pm
Definitely not. Bh got little ones at home that keep me up at night. But that’s not new. It’s been like that since I had my oldest many many years ago

#BestBubby

Post Yesterday at 7:10 pm
The supplement Berberine lowers blood sugar.

amother
  OP  

And yes I do need to lose a significant amount of weight. Min of 30 but ideally more. I’ve lost 10lbs since the beginning of September but I really feel like something is “stuck” bc it’s moving soooo slowly considering the way I’m eating and working out

amother
  OP  

#BestBubby wrote:
The supplement Berberine lowers blood sugar.

I’ve been taking it for a couple months already

amother
Turquoise

Post Yesterday at 7:27 pm
Metformin does work---been taking it for close to a year- took it down significantly within first 3 months-

amother
Denim

Post Yesterday at 7:42 pm
Walk for 10-15 min after each meal

Weight training for 45 min 3-4x a week. Can start with strength training for body weight and then get yourself some adjustable dumbbells and do workouts slowly increasing weight as your body can tolerate.

Eat high protein (35-40g) at each meal. Snacks can be straight protein (turkey slices, crunchy tofu, boiled eggs). Carbs should be exclusively fruits and veggies and beans. No sugar. (You can also track your macros on an app. I like Cronometer. Protein 35%, fat 30%, carb 30% —but made of fruits veggies and beans)

Sleep well.

Do this for 8 weeks are retest. I bet you anything the numbers will be way way better.

Signed—health coach who’s worked with people who have pcos and diabetes.

amother
  Vermilion

Post Yesterday at 7:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
And yes I do need to lose a significant amount of weight. Min of 30 but ideally more. I’ve lost 10lbs since the beginning of September but I really feel like something is “stuck” bc it’s moving soooo slowly considering the way I’m eating and working out

Go to a nutritionist.

amother
Brunette  

Post Yesterday at 7:46 pm
No sugar no sweeteners no honey no whites not potatoes or rice or flour
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Orchid

Post Yesterday at 7:48 pm
Intermittent fasting worked really well for me, lowered a1c, fasting blood sugar and I barely changed my actual food at all

wantavaca

Post Yesterday at 7:51 pm
No sugar no carbs??
Like how is that sustainable in this world?
I don’t understand
I’m also needing to lower numbers but I feel so stuck… the thought of deprivation makes me want more and more

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:06 pm
I eat scrambled eggs and a slight sprinkle of mozzarella cheese

Tuna, salmon, vegetables in all form. Apples and a banana, some nuts.. not too many.. big salads

I don’t eat so much

I walk almost daily.

I do IF

I can’t sleep well. It’s always disturbed by adorable children

dankbar  

Post Yesterday at 8:08 pm
Once you stop with sugar carbs the cravings stop too
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise