Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5 year old climbs on adults

amother
OP

Post Today at 3:58 am
My 5 year old is constantly climbing on his uncles and aunts, or jumping on them.
Some are ok with it and think it is cute, and some find it annoying.
I keep trying to force a boundary like before we see them I say- we can sit next to xyz, we can give xyz a hug but if we jump or climb on them, it hurts cuz we aren't a baby anymore.
But of course when we get there, he is climbing and jumping all over their laps.

Any advice?

amother
Candycane

Post Today at 6:15 am
I would keep reinforcing how you’re all so proud of how grown up he is. Explain again how big kids give hugs but he’s getting so grown up that it hurts if he climbs on the people who love him. Does he need extra reassurance and love? Would he benefit from a stuffed animal that he could hold and hug?

amother
Denim

Post Today at 6:20 am
How is he at home? Does he climb/ jump around furniture too?

I'm wondering if there is a sensory seeking aspect here, I'm addition to being super excited to see his aunts and uncles.

Also, What are you doing to enforce the boundary? He needs to be redirected in the moment.

amother
Dimgray

Post Today at 6:34 am
wouldn't you hate it if someone's 5 yo child did that to you?

I would get strict with my child if they did this because someone could get hurt.
You can say, don't do this, or if you don't stop doing this you have to leave the room.
It's not appropriate at all.

amother
Puce

Post Today at 6:43 am
it needs to stop it's not okay on many levels does he have adhd? can you get him to get his energy out before visiting? take him to park for an hour before or do jumping jacks outside?

singleagain

Post Today at 7:11 am
amother OP wrote:
My 5 year old is constantly climbing on his uncles and aunts, or jumping on them.
Some are ok with it and think it is cute, and some find it annoying.
I keep trying to force a boundary like before we see them I say- we can sit next to xyz, we can give xyz a hug but if we jump or climb on them, it hurts cuz we aren't a baby anymore.
But of course when we get there, he is climbing and jumping all over their laps.

Any advice?

Could the fact that some are ok with it and some not be confusing? Like why can I jump on my uncle but not my aunt? I'm making this comparison 100 times lehavdil... But if you are trying to train a puppy not to jump on ppl you have to be consistent. No to everyone. Maybe you have to do the same with your kid.

amother
NeonPink

Post Today at 7:25 am
Is this an otherwise typically developing child?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Today at 7:30 am
They should also enforce the rule. For those who allow climbing, my rule is the kid can do it once at the end of their stay. They help me enforce the rule and don’t allow more climbing than that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics