Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Wwyd? I think we made a mistake with this dog

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:51 pm
We just adopted a dog. Ladt week. We thought the dog was perfect for us. We adopted thr dog through an organization who helps rehome animals.
The dog has been with us for almost a week and a few of us, myself and my two kids, both older teens, realize thst we probably made a big mistake with this specific dog.
So my question is, would you contact the organization and explain it to them, exactly why we feel weve made a mistake or make up a story and just try to find this dog a new owner on our own?
Im sort of embarrassed. We were so sure this dog was perfect for us. And the woman in charge of the organization worked so hard with me to find a dog for us. She will think im a flake.
What would you do?

Success10  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:54 pm
I think mismatches happen and the organization has probably dealt with them before. I don’t see why you can’t be upfront with her. It will be very difficult to rehome the dog on your own.

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:56 pm
Just wanted to add, it’s only been a week. Can you give it a bit more time?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:59 pm
Most reputable agencies would rather have someone bring the dog back so it can find the correct "forever" home

That said, what are the specific issues with this dog? It is not uncommon for dogs to have an adjustment period and sometimes a dog had a completely different environment if it is a middle aged dog - I.e. had a previous home.

If it is a puppy, that is a really serious undertaking and might not be suitable at all for a family.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:59 pm
Success10 wrote:
Just wanted to add, it’s only been a week. Can you give it a bit more time?

Yeah, we are going to give it a bit more time. But its just something we feel that most prbably cant change.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:00 pm
The best thing to do is contact the organization to take the dog back. It is not appropriate to rehome the dog after a week on your own, especially when there are usually criteria for what dog goes to what home

Keep in mind they may be hesitant to find you another dog though if they feel you will have commitment issues

Do you want to share what about the dog makes it a mistake? It’s only been a week, it’s possible some of your fears can be temporary issues

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:01 pm
Success10 wrote:
I think mismatches happen and the organization has probably dealt with them before. I don’t see why you can’t be upfront with her. It will be very difficult to rehome the dog on your own.

Yes,,most probably very true.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
Most reputable agencies would rather have someone bring the dog back so it can find the correct "forever" home

That said, what are the specific issues with this dog? It is not uncommon for dogs to have an adjustment period and sometimes a dog had a completely different environment if it is a middle aged dog - I.e. had a previous home.

If it is a puppy, that is a really serious undertaking and might not be suitable at all for a family.

We cant bring the dog back. This org hrlped a family who couldnt keep their dog rehome it and we found the dogs info posted in a dog group. So the dog cant go bwck, but the org could possibly help us.
No, not a puppy. The dog is trained, neutered etc. Not a baby but not old.
We realized that the dog is way more energetic than we originally thought. Its harder than we originally thought.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:09 pm
Definitely contact the organization and also double check your adoption paperwork—most rescue organizations have a clause in their adoption contract that if for any reason, the pet you adopted is not working out, that you will return the pet to them.

If the main issue is the dog has more energy than you feel you can handle, perhaps try signing up the dog for a doggy daycare program (or other arrangement like a dog trainer or dog walker), who can help to brainstorm and come up with ways to deal positively with the dog’s extra energy.

Keep in mind that any other dog that you may adopt in the future will also come with behaviors or concerns or medical needs that you may not have been aware of or predicted would be an issue.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
We just adopted a dog. Ladt week. We thought the dog was perfect for us. We adopted thr dog through an organization who helps rehome animals.
The dog has been with us for almost a week and a few of us, myself and my two kids, both older teens, realize thst we probably made a big mistake with this specific dog.
So my question is, would you contact the organization and explain it to them, exactly why we feel weve made a mistake or make up a story and just try to find this dog a new owner on our own?
Im sort of embarrassed. We were so sure this dog was perfect for us. And the woman in charge of the organization worked so hard with me to find a dog for us. She will think im a flake.
What would you do?

The organizations don't want you to rehome yourself. They prefer you bring the dog back and they can investigate a new home that will be safe for the dog.

ETA: I see this dog came from somewhere else. For sure see if you can call the original organization. They want the best outcome for the dog.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:23 pm
Are you a first time dog owner?

Like others said, the organization most likely wants to know if it isn't working out.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:39 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Definitely contact the organization and also double check your adoption paperwork—most rescue organizations have a clause in their adoption contract that if for any reason, the pet you adopted is not working out, that you will return the pet to them.

If the main issue is the dog has more energy than you feel you can handle, perhaps try signing up the dog for a doggy daycare program (or other arrangement like a dog trainer or dog walker), who can help to brainstorm and come up with ways to deal positively with the dog’s extra energy.

Keep in mind that any other dog that you may adopt in the future will also come with behaviors or concerns or medical needs that you may not have been aware of or predicted would be an issue.

There is no doggy dag camp where I live.
We knew the dog had 3nergy, just not as much as he has.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:40 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Are you a first time dog owner?

Like others said, the organization most likely wants to know if it isn't working out.

No we are not first time dog owners.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Yesterday at 9:55 am
What’s the problem with the dog?
It takes time to get used to a dog. The beginning can be difficult , but once you adjust and learn how to care for the pet, it gets easier. I would give it a few more months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets