Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Raising your kids in a diverse community
Previous  1  2  3

shabbatiscoming  

Post Today at 8:04 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
I don’t think this true at all. I know people in diverse communities that were not accepted and were judged terribly for being “too frum”. It’s really not the utopia everyone pretends it is.

Then it wasnt as diverse as they thought.
A truly diverse community really will accept everyone.

amother
  Periwinkle

Post Today at 8:06 am
amother Beige wrote:
Having spent a few childhood summers as the only observant Jewish child and usually the only Jewish child, period, in an inner-city public-school summer day camp, I wouldn't want my children to grow up that way. It is a very tough and less than pleasant position to be in, even if the other kids are friendly. You feel like a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific. That said, there is value to learning how to interact with people of different backgrounds and with the outside world in general while retaining your own principles and way of life. I understand why people want to live in a totally insular environment -- it's simply easier and less challenging. But it's also restrictive and stultifying, and risks making you narrow-minded and intolerant. Furthermore, not everyone is cut out for that kind of existence, and the backlash can be severe when such a person discovers that there is a whole other world out there.

I don't think anyone here is saying diverse as in secular diversity. We are saying diversity within the jewish frum communities.
I would never want my child to be the only frum jew. Im sorry you had to go through that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Today at 8:07 am
amother Calendula wrote:
In my mixed community, the OTD or semi-OTD kids from RW homes that I know of, I don't think it had anything to do with their handful of MO classmates. One very common thread is learning difficulties, especially for boys but also for girls.

And shocker of shockers, MO jews can and do aldo go otd Smile

amother
  Navyblue

Post Today at 8:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Then it wasnt as diverse as they thought.
A truly diverse community really will accept everyone.

That’s simply not true. Being a diverse community doesn’t automatically give you good middos or make you not judge. And how can you make such statements about every community. You think diverse communities are diverse with the exception of being uniform when it comes to judgment? It’s not how it works.

amother
  Beige

Post Today at 9:48 am
Again, what is SES? Sounds like a newly designated learning disorder, which doesn't make sense in the context. And I'm not the ima who first asked the question, so clearly the term in not universally understood.

amother
  Calendula

Post Today at 9:49 am
amother Beige wrote:
Again, what is SES? Sounds like a newly designated learning disorder, which doesn't make sense in the context. And I'm not the ima who first asked the question, so clearly the term in not universally understood.

Socio-economic status.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics