Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you say viduy (al chet's) in english?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:29 pm
Or at least look at the definition of them? If you use a Hebrew machzor, do you understand what you are atoning for? Or just reading from the machzor? (Assuming you're not so familiar with hebrew)

amother
Red  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:36 pm
Do YOU?

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:39 pm
Yes, I do. Why? Is it wrong to daven in English?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:42 pm
I have a booklet (I forgot who publishes it but I have still seen it in stores) that has a linear english translation with each line you say in ivrit translated on the other side of the page. It also has some explanatory footnotes and I read those yk night.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Yes, I do. Why? Is it wrong to daven in English?

No just the opposite. You are supposed to understand the tefillah, especially al chet

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:43 pm
amother Red wrote:
Do YOU?

Yes interlinier

amother
  Red

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:55 pm
No it's not wrong to daven in English if you don't understand the Hebrew, better to understand what you're saying than to break your teeth muttering and probably butchering words that are meaningless to you. FTR a lot of the piyyutim were written in medieval Hebrew and include "forced" words (words changed into unnatural forms that were never used in real speech or writing) and words invented for the sake of the rhyme that appear nowhere else, so unless you're a scholar of medieval Jewish liturgical poetry, your chances of really understanding word for word are slim to nonexistent. Your question just sounded very judgemental.

emee2

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Red wrote:
No it's not wrong to daven in English if you don't understand the Hebrew, better to understand what you're saying than to break your teeth muttering and probably butchering words that are meaningless to you. FTR a lot of the piyyutim were written in medieval Hebrew and include "forced" words (words changed into unnatural forms that were never used in real speech or writing) and words invented for the sake of the rhyme that appear nowhere else, so unless you're a scholar of medieval Jewish liturgical poetry, your chances of really understanding word for word are slim to nonexistent. Your question just sounded very judgemental.

This post and OP sound the same to me…aren’t you both saying ppl should say viduy in a language they understand well?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur