Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Doctor checking private parts of teen
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  Burntblack

Post Yesterday at 5:46 am
amother Stone wrote:
Huh it’s a 2 second check. It’s not what abuse is. Same way if a kid fights anything else they must do for basic health. But hopefully the doctor patiently explains and gets the kid to cooperate. It’s on you to pick one with a good bedside manner.

If a child doesn't consent, it doesn't make a difference how long it takes. Two seconds without consent is not OK. The Dr can say that the exam isn't valid without, but he can't force.

amother
  Rainbow  

Post Yesterday at 5:52 am
I cannot believe there are drs who don't check private areas and there are mothers that don't know that drs are supposed to.
Did you not go to the dr as kids and get checked there?

amother
  Garnet  

Post Yesterday at 5:59 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
I cannot believe there are drs who don't check private areas and there are mothers that don't know that drs are supposed to.

Dr never checked
Whats there to check on a girl

amother
Amethyst  

Post Yesterday at 6:14 am
I have both girls and boys. The pediatrician checks both genders at their yearly well visit and uses it as a yearly opportunity to teach kids that no one should be touching them down there other than a parent if necessary or a doctor in the parent's presence. We use a pediatric practice with both male and female doctors, so I schedule well visits with the doctors my kids feel most comfortable with.

amother
  Amethyst

Post Yesterday at 6:16 am
amother Garnet wrote:
Dr never checked
Whats there to check on a girl

Proper development. Look up Tanner stages.

amother
  Gray

Post Yesterday at 6:25 am
amother Catmint wrote:
every year? that's not normal.

Umm yes it is normal. In fact, it's standard of practice.
Do you live in the U.S.?

amother
  Beige  

Post Yesterday at 6:34 am
amother Catmint wrote:
every year? that's not normal.

Of course it's normal, and it's especially important during puberty. The doctor needs to know if he's developing properly and there aren't problems (or if thereare, that they get addressed). Ultimately you can't force it, and if he's really resistant, it is what it is. But the doctor needs to at least explain the importance so you know what you're skipping. Ours explained it well to my son, and while he doesn't like it, he does ultimately decide that it's worth a few seconds of discomfort to make sure he's developing properly. He cares about being a father one day iyh.

amother
  Teal

Post Yesterday at 6:38 am
amother Maple wrote:
If the sac is larger than usual, tender or painful it is a medical emergency. I don't know why this is not taught to the boys in Yeshiva or at the very least in Chosson classes.

It's not taught in yeshiva because you're the parent, this is on you

amother
  Stone

Post Yesterday at 6:47 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
If a child doesn't consent, it doesn't make a difference how long it takes. Two seconds without consent is not OK. The Dr can say that the exam isn't valid without, but he can't force.

The parent can force it.

amother
Diamond  

Post Yesterday at 7:22 am
This thread was very educational. Really as women how are we supposed to know this? And no I don’t think my dh knows this either though he was checked as a kid.
I have a question, if an endo is checking my son for puberty would she notice those sorts of issues as well?

amother
Acacia

Post Yesterday at 7:23 am
amother Rainbow wrote:

As a kid my pediatrician did not check "down there" but did start breast exams sometime in my mid teens and taught me about doing it monthly

amother
  Garnet  

Post Yesterday at 7:42 am
amother Gray wrote:
Umm yes it is normal. In fact, it's standard of practice.
Do you live in the U.S.?

All drs do this?
What if you have a Dr the other gender than your child?
TyH I didn't grow up in the US

amother
Seagreen

Post Yesterday at 7:46 am
Americans are obsessed with monitoring everything like a child won't grow or develop if it's not observed and noted on a chart.

If a doctor is concerned about precocious or delayed puberty, there are questions that can be asked.

Notice how some doctors check more frequently than others - obviously it's not life or death.

It's highly unlikely a teenage girl has breast cancer, you can teach without doing it on her.

Yes, many times things are done as routine without much thought. We are learning that now when it comes to unnecessary pelvic and prostate exams so be alert and thoughtful.

amother
  Diamond

Post Yesterday at 7:48 am
amother Garnet wrote:
All drs do this?

lol dh didn’t grow up in the US and was checked by female doctors. If anything European countries are less prudish about this. Ds also gets checked by a female dr.

amother
Trillium  

Post Yesterday at 7:53 am
amother Garnet wrote:
All drs do this?

There are no well visits in the place you grew up?

I guess screening for cancer (colonoscopy, breast exams etc) is also not appropriate because it involves sensitive areas?

I guess I am glad I grew up in the US

amother
Peony

Post Yesterday at 8:29 am
momomany wrote:
they are also checking for varicoceles. very important. if they do have it, it is very correctable. left uncorrected it can lead to infertility

Dh had this, discovered by a routine examine when he was a young teenager and had surgery to correct it. Bh we then had no problems - kids right away.

amother
  Beige  

Post Yesterday at 9:40 am
amother Garnet wrote:
All drs do this?

I use a practice that has both. When the kids are little it doesn't matter, but once they're old enough to care, yes, my boys opt to use a male doctor and my girls opt for a female one.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Yesterday at 9:47 am
amother Trillium wrote:
There are no well visits in the place you grew up?

I guess screening for cancer (colonoscopy, breast exams etc) is also not appropriate because it involves sensitive areas?

I guess I am glad I grew up in the US
If needed yes adults would be checked
Kids not as preventive
Why would a child need a breast exam

amother
  Garnet  

Post Yesterday at 9:50 am
amother Beige wrote:
I use a practice that has both. When the kids are little it doesn't matter, but once they're old enough to care, yes, my boys opt to use a male doctor and my girls opt for a female one.
If they don't ask a male dr checks females?
I find it strange, my dr is frum but the ob isn't jewish

amother
  Trillium  

Post Yesterday at 9:57 am
amother Garnet wrote:
If needed yes adults would be checked
Kids not as preventive
Why would a child need a breast exam

What do you mean “as needed”? I obviously meant age appropriate. As discussed above, children need to be checked to make sure things are developing properly. Not when there’s already problems.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics