Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Is your family all chicken soup?
Previous  1  2

amother
Moccasin  

Post Yesterday at 12:23 am
I mix soups and they're heaven. Sometimes even 3 or more. Usually we do two. But the more the better

amother
  Watermelon

Post Yesterday at 12:24 am
amother Gray wrote:
We eat about 6 qt soup per meal or more so I need a lot.
I made a variety and defrosted one a night.

My family complained…why do we have to be so gourmet.

Did same soups all 3 sets of days

Meat split pea
Cream of chicken soup
Chicken soup

Honestly they like the soups I made. I think they just want to make my life easier by serving one type.

6 quarts of soup per meal??!! How many people are you feeding?

tweety1

Post Yesterday at 12:28 am
Shabbos and yt it's only chicken soup or cream of chicken. Even during the week they can request chicken soup. I'm a chicken soup girl all the way. Serve me a bowl any time any day and I'll be your best friend.

DrMom

Post Yesterday at 12:50 am
Sukkot is still hot here, and many stairs are involved in reaching our sukkah on yom tov, so we seldom serve soup on Sukkot.

During the rest of the year we sometimes serve soup, sometimes not, and we make all kinds.

amother
Brunette

Post Yesterday at 1:47 am
Shabbos and YT is strictly chicken soup. I only serve soup at the night meals and for Sukkos I plan to only serve the first night and Friday night. The second night can be a different appetizer. Although for my family it must be chicken soup , no other
Soup, on Shabbos , during the week they will happily eat other soups - chunky vegetable, butternut squash, mushroom, minestrone but are also very happy if I serve chic soup for a weeknight supper too Smile

etky

Post Yesterday at 3:59 pm
As a rule, I make chicken soup twice a year: Rosh Hashana and Pesach. Sometimes I'll make it once or even twice more in the winter, if someone in the family is feeling coldy.
We have soup as a first course every Friday night, even in the summer, but I rotate them.
I have a repertoire of like a dozen soups.
For Succot I generally make the hearty soups that we take a break from during the hot summer, cause it's usually quite chilly outside in the succa, where we live, near Jerusalem. My usual Succot soups are mushroom barley, red lentil and kubbe chamusta soup.
I never serve chicken soup before Yom Kippur. I find it makes me very thirsty, even when it's not that salty. I don't know why.
This year I'll be serving pureed pumpkin/sweet potato/ carrot soup before the fast. It has lots of complex carbs and potassium so that should help with the fasting.

amother
Eggshell

Post Yesterday at 4:06 pm
I do both. Every meal have chicken soup and another option. My husband wont eat anything but chicken soup

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Yesterday at 4:12 pm
I do a variety but I'm general my kids love soup. For RH we had:
Butternut squash
Potato leek
Vegetable quinoa
Vegetable barley meat soup
Chicken soup.

I serve soup by all meals on yt.

amother
Pansy

Post Yesterday at 4:21 pm
Shabbos is always chicken soup but YT varies. It's basically tradition in our house to have mushroom barley soup on Sukkos.

amother
Viola

Post Yesterday at 4:24 pm
IF I even serve soup, it will be gazpacho. Nobody wants to eat hot soup in the sukkah when it's 85 degrees out. (I'm in SoFla).

amother
Ginger

Post Yesterday at 4:33 pm
Chicken soup first night and Friday night. If we serve soups during the day it’s something else, but only if it’s really cold.

amother
  Moccasin

Post Yesterday at 4:37 pm
I would eat chicken soup for breakfast. Of course has to be made well

Golde

Post Yesterday at 4:43 pm
Yes, my family is all chicken soup! Yom tov equals chicken soup for us.

Hello99

Post Yesterday at 5:44 pm
Chicken soup at night, vegetable soup during the day

lamplighter

Post Yesterday at 5:53 pm
Chicken soup is the easiest because everyone in my family loves it.
I do get bored of it during Tishrei so sometimes I make another option but ya, were chicken soup people.

amother
Lime

Post Yesterday at 7:53 pm
My family will eat anything. My mom served only chicken soup on Shabbat and YT, anything else was vochedik. I still view soups like split pea, mushroom barley and tomato as vochedik because they were weekday soups when I was growing up. Manischewitz sold them in cans, and anything canned was vochedik. And since my dad lived on beans all week when he was growing up, anything with beans was not Shabbosdik. I never saw cholent till I was in grade school and started going to friends for Shabbat. I will not make split pea or barley soup for Shabbat, but if I happen to have some cooked barley, I will throw it in chicken soup as an add-in, like noodles or rice, but not as a main ingredient. I keep the soup on the blech Friday through Shabbat lunch, so starch-based varieties are not the best idea. Broth-based soups are a better bet.

But as I said, we eat anything. If I go to your house for Shabbat and you serve split pea soup with sliced hot dogs in it--a very vochedik combo in my book--I will eat it. I just won't make it myself except for a weeknight.

Goldengoose

Post Yesterday at 7:58 pm
I make chicken soup and also other soups. my kids are super picky but the soups they like I make again and again.
Shabbos is only chicken soup. YT is any soup they want.

amother
Olive

Post Yesterday at 11:30 pm
We have chicken soup almost every Friday night, but not on yom tov. Usually yom tov night I'll do a blended vegetable soup with kneidlach.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics