Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Is your family all chicken soup?
1  2  Next

doodlesmom  

Post Yesterday at 11:35 pm
So I’ve been talking to many friends and neighbors who claim to make a huge pot of chicken soup and then serving it for the 5 meal straight (chulent the last day).
While I make a variety of soups just like I make a variety of meats, and sides.

I was wondering which group you belong to and what soups you serve?

So far between RH and succos prep, I’ve made large pots of green soup, roasted veg soup, butternut squash quinoa soup, green squash soup, onion Flanken soup, tomato cabbage soup, and also chicken soup…..

dena613

Post Yesterday at 11:38 pm
The title was worded funny Very Happy

I only serve chicken soup, and I only serve it at night.

amother
Dill

I would make other soups, Succos is the best time for soups when eating outside in the cold!, but DH and I and all but one child happen to love love love chicken soup. If I made another kind they’d be disappointed

amother
Dodgerblue

My family won't eat any other soup than chicken soup.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Yesterday at 11:41 pm
I don't serve soup at every meal. The few that I do it would be chicken soup. We do other first courses instead.

amother
Watermelon  

Post Yesterday at 11:41 pm
We definitely have a rotation of not only soup, but everything we eat both shabbos and not

amother
Sapphire

Post Yesterday at 11:42 pm
Vegetable soup for Yom Tov, zucchini is my favorite. Has to be smooth not chunky for Yom Tov.
Chicken soup for Shabbos, Erev Yom Kippur, Hoshana Raba

amother
Maple

Post Yesterday at 11:44 pm
I grew up with only chicken soup on yom Tov. My in-laws do all kinds of soup and I like it better so now I do different ones, if yt falls out on Shabbos I do chicken

Rachelw1

Post Yesterday at 11:45 pm
Dh loves chicken soup so I only serve that on yum tuv (only night meals) I change it up a bit and cube my carrots and squash, so it’s more like a chunky vegetable soup

amother
Mistyrose

Post Yesterday at 11:47 pm
On YT growing up we always had a choice of chicken soup or flanken and barley soup so thats what I do now too.

amother
Gray

Post Yesterday at 11:48 pm
We eat about 6 qt soup per meal or more so I need a lot.
I made a variety and defrosted one a night.

My family complained…why do we have to be so gourmet.

Did same soups all 3 sets of days

Meat split pea
Cream of chicken soup
Chicken soup

Honestly they like the soups I made. I think they just want to make my life easier by serving one type.

doodlesmom

Post Yesterday at 11:52 pm
Interesting, to me making chicken soup every meal cuz that’s what the family likes best is like making the same meat every meal,the one the family likes best… variety is good, but I guess I’m a minority opinion….

:)iknowit

Post Yesterday at 11:53 pm
I love all types of soup but my family will only eat chicken soup so chicken soup it is 🤷🏻‍♀️

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 11:53 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
My family won't eat any other soup than chicken soup.

Ditto
And dh who does like other soups won’t eat them by day meals so he won’t be too full for the main course. So it’s only chicken soup for us. For every meal for the kids who won’t eat anything else.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 11:55 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Interesting, to me making chicken soup every meal cuz that’s what the family likes best is like making the same meat every meal,the one the family likes best… variety is good, but I guess I’m a minority opinion….

Clearly you don’t know picky eaters😅

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Yesterday at 11:57 pm
I didn't grow up with chicken soup every Shabbos. My mother made it twice a year - for Seder night and erev Yom Kippur. DH grew up with his mom making chicken soup every week and he got bored of it. I never make chicken soup but DH makes it very occasionally and we get MIL's chicken soup if we go to them or they come to us for Shabbos or Yom Tov.

We have a varied repertoire of soups that we make for Shabbos or Yom Tov, some fleishigs and some pareve. We rarely make a dairy soup but we often make pareve onion soup for a dairy meal and add a slice of toasted baguette with melted cheese to the bowls. There are some soups that our kids specifically ask for every Yom Tov, like cabbage soup (tomato based with meat) or caldo gallego (very hearty soup with beans and sausages).

pause

Post Today at 12:00 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Vegetable soup for Yom Tov, zucchini is my favorite. Has to be smooth not chunky for Yom Tov.
Chicken soup for Shabbos, Erev Yom Kippur, Hoshana Raba

Same. Chicken soup for Shabbos, Erev Yom Kippur, and Hoshana Rabba (also Purim and both Seder nights).

Other Yomim tovim, night meals get a variety of soups: butternut squash soup, cream of chicken soup, sweet potato-dill soup, creamy parsnip soup, pea soup, onion soup. Day meals get salad instead of soup.

amother
Begonia

Post Today at 12:07 am
Shabbos and Yom tov is always only chicken soup . We enjoy many other soups during weekday dinners.. succos however I don't do soup for safety reasons carying it down steps and outside. ..until hashana Raba when we need soup with krepkach

worknights1313

Post Today at 12:11 am
Chicken soup for Shabbos. Vegetable soup, zucchini soup, butternut squash soup, meat soup with split peas for Yom Tov.

tichellady

Post Today at 12:20 am
I Make many soups. I like variety
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics