Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Should paper goods cost this much?!

emee2  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 4:56 pm
We are going to be 10ppl for yontif. I went to amazing savings and I spent $160. This covers the 6 meals. Does this seem crazy?

ddmom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 4:59 pm
Not crazy. Paper goods are extremely expensive.
I got 2 set on Amazon for 25 ppl each ,includes plates big and small, cutlery and cups, no napkins for $18/each. I really try to buy the cheapest.
In bingo, they have sets of $32 (only)plates for $6.99 I believe!

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:05 pm
emee2 wrote:
We are going to be 10ppl for yontif. I went to amazing savings and I spent $160. This covers the 6 meals. Does this seem crazy?

We're around 20 people per meal and our local cost shop started doing basic paperware recently. They don't sell the fancier pricey stuff, but it's nice enough. And I was shocked that it came to $140, heaven help if I would've paid for nicer stuff.
Always wonder whether it's cheaper to use real and hire a cleaner for the washing up...

emee2  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:08 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
We're around 20 people per meal and our local cost shop started doing basic paperware recently. They don't sell the fancier pricey stuff, but it's nice enough. And I was shocked that it came to $140, heaven help if I would've paid for nicer stuff.
Always wonder whether it's cheaper to use real and hire a cleaner for the washing up...

Hmm a cleaner to wash up would be amazing!! But finding someone to come for just an hour or 2 is probably hard

SDmother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:23 pm
emee2 wrote:

That around $2.70 a place setting which seems like a lot. I typically keep it to around $1 each.

seeker  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 6:44 pm
It's not crazy high but it's on the higher end from what I try to spend. I've been getting big packs of matching sets from Amazon, they go on sale/coupon from time to time and I get links from sites like Dan's Deals. They're often around $1 a setting. They usually include only one fork per setting so if you do a fish course with another fork then that's not included, and it doesn't include serveware or tablecloths - I don't know if that's included in your haul. My plan is to use my fancy hard plastic disposables from Amazon for about half the meals (the first meal, and then probably meals when we have guests) and for the other meals I'll buy from Amazing Savings the ones that are a little nicer than usual but not the fancy ones.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:03 pm
If I'm planning many meals I like to buy extra heavy clear plastic disposable plates and bowls (to me they look nice), and use my nice real tablecloth, real chargers, real platters, etc. I don't want to waste on extravagant paper goods. I only do that sometimes. They don't feel as good as dishes, so why throw out so much money.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If I'm planning many meals I like to buy heavy clear plastic disposable plates and bowls, and use my nice real tablecloth, real chargers, real platters, etc. I don't want to waste on extravagant paper goods. I only do that sometimes. They don't feel as good as dishes, so why throw out so much money.

Because I love the look of a pretty, set table for Yom tov, and it's a special treat to me that I can get that with minimal preparation and cleanup. I'm not getting manicures or facials, I don't need new jewelry, and a new wig is out of reach, but when I can pull out my Amazon box of matching tableware preferably in a new design and have the table set in 5 minutes - it feels Yomtovdig.

Some of us are just shallow like that, I guess. I know my like for pretty things is vain but it's the way I was born so I roll with it. My compromise is that for the other half of the meals we're using the cheaper plastic. We get a couple of different solid colors to dress it up a bit.

gande

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:22 pm
It’s cheaper in Bingo or krm. I look at it as a nessasary luxury lol

emzod42

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:40 pm
I spent a lot too at Amazing Savings this year. To keep costs down I buy fancy paper plates, not plastic, in the cheapest nice design available and I use regular white napkins and clear plastic cups. I don't buy a whole coordinated place setting. Usually 1-2 items is enough to make it look nice. but it was still a lot!

emee2  

Post Yesterday at 6:23 pm
SDmother wrote:
That around $2.70 a place setting which seems like a lot. I typically keep it to around $1 each.

When you put it like that it does seem like a lot…. It includes plates, silverware, bowls, napkins

emee2

Post Yesterday at 6:24 pm
gande wrote:
It’s cheaper in Bingo or krm. I look at it as a nessasary luxury lol

I don’t have krm but I will check bingo

hodeez

Post Yesterday at 7:16 pm
It's part of the lekavid shabbat budget
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics