Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
History of the reform tashlich with bread crumbs?

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:37 pm
Nobody I know IRL in my kiruv/BT circles seems to know this, so I thought I'd ask it here: how'd it come to be that non-orthodox Jews started doing tashlich by throwing bread crumbs into the lake/river? Obviously it's not an authentic orthodox custom. But I don't know how or why or when it developed. Curious for thoughts.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:40 pm
Not sure what you are asking. Many orthodox people do this as well.

camrygirl

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:44 pm
What do you mean, "not an authentic orthodox custom"?
It is absolutely done by orthodox people and is an authentic minhag.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:47 pm
AAMOF it was so entrenched in Orthodox circles that we were taught that this is a bona fide minhag. Only in recent years have I read Orthodox leaders saying one should davka not do this.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:48 pm
I grew up mega conservative, went to conservative day school, my grandfather was a conservative rabbis, the whole thing. We did it with rocks. Even then we were told if we do it with breadcrumbs, the fish will eat our sins and then we eat the fish, so it doesn't really ever go away. But rocks sink... so we did it with rocks.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 12:56 pm
Throwing bread during tashlich was done even in the 1400's. The main reason why some Rabbanim are against it is that it's a problem to feed the fish on yt.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Throwing bread during tashlich was done even in the 1400's. The main reason why some Rabbanim are against it is that it's a problem to feed the fish on yt.

OP here. The feeding the fish on RH thing is why I was told it's not an orthodox thing. I'm a BT and grew up doing it and when I was getting into orthodox stuff, I was told orthodox people don't throw bread crumbs. I've never heard any frum person mention doing bread crumbs nor have I seen them do it.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP here. The feeding the fish on RH thing is why I was told it's not an orthodox thing. I'm a BT and grew up doing it and when I was getting into orthodox stuff, I was told orthodox people don't throw bread crumbs. I've never heard any frum person mention doing bread crumbs nor have I seen them do it.

Many people do it, especially kids. Makes the whole thing more enjoyable for them.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 1:51 pm
And there are people who don’t have the minhag to say tashlich at all. אלו ואלו!

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 1:53 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Many people do it, especially kids. Makes the whole thing more enjoyable for them.

Do they just wait until after YT? Or let the kids do it on YT?

Goldie613

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 2:01 pm
Try this OP - this article has a lot of info, including on the history of tashlich. It may not be exactly what you're asking for, but it should at least get you started.

https://jewishaction.com/relig.....lich/

This one has less info but might still help =
https://www.chabad.org/library.....h.htm

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 2:53 pm
I’m orthodox. Grew up doing it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur