Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$1.60 in my bank account
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 13  14  15  Next

amother
Aconite  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok let me ask you a question realistically. I work about 10-15 hours a week now. If I work 25 when am I going to take my kids to their appointments, exercise, do my own therapy? I’m really asking because I’m nervous to work more hours but I want to.

I work 40 hours a week. You make it work. If I want to exercise I wake up at 5am. That doesnt happen often but right now we need the money more than I get the luxury of exercising. I do try to keep sneakers in my car so if I have a lunch break with no errands to run I do try to take a walk. I do use sick time to take my kids to appointments. Its not easy but we need the money. I work sunday morning so I do have some flexibility with my hours during the week for appointments as well.

amother
  Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m not asking what everyone does, I’m asking how everyone does it. For example my therapist only works 9-3. My kids appointments are in the middle of the day, we are on waiting lists for later but there isn’t anything later right now

Then maybe the therapist won't be a fit for you anymore. Or you'll find a job that you can make up that hour in the evening or later on. Regarding your kids appointments, if it's something that's a one-time thing and important you take off for it. If it's something that's More often than you need to find a place that does evening hours or early morning hours. Or you need to find a job that's a little bit flexible. For example, I do all my kids well visits with the last appointments of the day at about 6 PM. But if for some reason I do need a sick visit I take whatever visit I can get and make it work.

I'm trying to say this as respectfully as I can. The amount of hours you are working is so minimal. It's basically not working. For someone who keeps on saying they need money and they can't make it. You seem to be having excuses why you can't work more. Sometimes you need to go out of your comfort zone and just make it work.

I work work about 30 hours a week. I happen to be very very behind right now in my work. I have to go in tonight and finish up my work so it's done. That's part of having a job and making it work. I also have a family full of kids some bigger and some smaller and this is just how it has to be. I schedule appointments around my work as much as I can. If I have to go during the day then I usually have to make it up at another point.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:28 am
I hope Gesher can help because even with a family size of 6 (4 kids), $4500 a month qualifies for SNAP. Medicaid is a little more confusing since it's annual vs monthly.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:28 am
amother Aconite wrote:
I work 40 hours a week. You make it work. If I want to exercise I wake up at 5am. That doesnt happen often but right now we need the money more than I get the luxury of exercising. I do try to keep sneakers in my car so if I have a lunch break with no errands to run I do try to take a walk. I do use sick time to take my kids to appointments. Its not easy but we need the money. I work sunday morning so I do have some flexibility with my hours during the week for appointments as well.

Thanks for sharing how you do it. Unfortunately, exercise is not a luxury it’s a medical need. But otherwise thanks for the ideas

amother
  Cyan  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:29 am
amother OP wrote:
I actually tried many therapists. Finally found a good one who actually helps me a lot. I’m not switching right now.
I really can’t stop my kids appointment they’re very important (again can’t elaborate), they’re weekly

These are choices you are making. I would think food was more important but everyone's priorities are different. Maybe your therapist can do zoom by a lunch break for you. If you work 10-15 hours a week I would think increasing work hours is an easy way to make more money.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I hope Gesher can help because even with a family size of 6 (4 kids), $4500 a month qualifies for SNAP. Medicaid is a little more confusing since it's annual vs monthly.

So 4500 was ballpark number. The amount is actually 4546 to qualify. We are closer to 4600 than to 4500. We are really at the cusp on the slower months. On the months where I have more work we are 100 or $200 over

amother
  Cyan  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for sharing how you do it. Unfortunately, exercise is not a luxury it’s a medical need. But otherwise thanks for the ideas

Wake up earlier. Lunch break. Evenings. Weekends.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:31 am
amother Cyan wrote:
These are choices you are making. I would think food was more important but everyone's priorities are different. Maybe your therapist can do zoom by a lunch break for you. If you work 10-15 hours a week I would think increasing work hours is an easy way to make more money.

Of course food is important. My therapy is very important. I cannot give it up right now. If I was working part time (25 hour a week, that wouldn’t include a lunch break).

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:32 am
amother Cyan wrote:
Wake up earlier. Lunch break. Evenings. Weekends.

Right it has to be daily so not just weekends . So the only option is waking up earlier. I can’t do evenings I crash. But ya I would consider waking up earlier

amother
  Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:34 am
I'm following your replies. I am flabbergasted that somebody who has no money for food for their children is giving excuses about how to make it work. You work such minimal hours. The easiest way to make some more money is to work more. The most successful people in life are the ones that make time for everything they need to do. They get up early in the morning to exercise or do it late at night. They make appointments around their schedule, not around the therapist schedule. If that therapist doesn't work, find a new therapist. I know you don't want to, but that's sometimes what you need to do.

What's your daily schedule?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:36 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I'm following your replies. I am flabbergasted that somebody who has no money for food for their children is giving excuses about how to make it work. You work such minimal hours. The easiest way to make some more money is to work more. The most successful people in life are the ones that make time for everything they need to do. They get up early in the morning to exercise or do it late at night. They make appointments around their schedule, not around the therapist schedule. If that therapist doesn't work, find a new therapist. I know you don't want to, but that's sometimes what you need to do.

I’m not making excuses. I’m asking HOW to work it. I started my job with the promise of 20 hours a week but it’s not at that, so I’m in the search for something new.
Find a new therapist is not an option. That’s the one thing I can’t change

amother
  Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Of course food is important. My therapy is very important. I cannot give it up right now. If I was working part time (25 hour a week, that wouldn’t include a lunch break).

You're making a choice between food and therapy. To me the obvious choice is food for my family. I guess for you, it's your therapy.

And it doesn't have to be that way. There have been many, many suggestions on this thread and you've basically pulled down most of them.

amother
  Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:39 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m not making excuses. I’m asking HOW to work it. I started my job with the promise of 20 hours a week but it’s not at that, so I’m in the search for something new.
Find a new therapist is not an option. That’s the one thing I can’t change

Since we don't know your daily schedule, We can't exactly answer the question fully. But there were many many suggestions in how to make it work.

For one, tell you therapist that you need to work more hours and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe zoom, an evening, maybe you can make it work during the day and then make up your hours later...

amother
Stoneblue  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:40 am
Disclaimer, I didn't read all 10 pages but I got the gist of the situation.
I think it is very unfair to "demand" that the mother of several children, who has a medical condition, should work more hours. Kudos to those who can juggle working 40 hours and a household.
I think running two businesses gives Hashem a vessel where the Bracha can come through. And if for whatever reason it is not coming via that vessel, then yes, you may need to resort to Tomchei Shabbos to tide you over.
But a mother in your situation to take on more working hours (equaling more stress) which may or may not affect your medical condition, may not be practical or productive.
Only you know the dynamics of your household and only you can know if working more hours will benefit your family. (Not referring to financially).

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:40 am
You're making a choice between food and therapy. To me the obvious choice is food for my family. I guess for you, it's your therapy.

And it doesn't have to be that way. There have been many, many suggestions on this thread and you've basically pulled down most of them.

Put it this way. If I didn’t have therapy I wouldn’t be functioning so then there would be no work at all

amother
  Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:41 am
And I'm going to be honest here. In the beginning of your threads, I thought you were working full-time and really just not making it. I feel someone like that can go to the community and ask for funds. Now seeing that you're barely working and have so many excuses, I would honestly be pretty upset if my hard-earned money went to somebody like you. I feel first you need to do all you can to make it for your family before going to others and begging.

amother
  Ginger  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I really don’t want to answer and out myself but please don’t make any assumptions. I checked the numbers many times. We don’t qualify. Why would you just assume I had 6 kids?

Because you would qualify for SNAP with the income you reported if you have 6 kids! You make it sound like you have a big family, not "just" 6 kids, you say you make 65k a year (but that fluctuates, sometimes less per month?) A family of 8 (6 kids) qualifies for SNAP and Medicaid with a yearly income of 65k.

amother
  Lemonlime  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:44 am

The most successful people in my life are the ones where the husband is making the bulk of the income. Sorry, I said it.

Where is her husband in all this? He can retrain for a job that pays better, work more hours... literally anything to increase income. In my world men are the ones who are supposed to be supporting the family, not the mother who is running the house (I happen to work full time atm, but with the understanding that it's not actually my job and I can cut down if it becomes too hard, and he pitches in fully.)

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:44 am
And I'm going to be honest here. In the beginning of your threads, I thought you were working full-time and really just not making it. I feel someone like that can go to the community and ask for funds. Now seeing that you're barely working and have so many excuses, I would honestly be pretty upset if my hard-earned money went to somebody like you. I feel first you need to do all you can to make it for your family before going to others and begging.

I am working and building a business it’s not lucrative yet but IYh it will be. I can’t show for it on paper now but I’m putting a lot into it.
And yes I am working whatever hours my job gives me which has been less lately.
But you definitely don’t have to give anything. I went to the local community fund and they thought it was perfectly legitimate way to try for parnassah.

amother
  Aconite  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 5:45 am
Op I hope you win the lottery. But in the event that you dont I just want to point out that your not that different than the rest of us. If I only worked 10-15 hours my family would also not make it and fall apart. My priority right now is supporting my family (together with my husband) its all about priorities. I do have a health issue at the moment that I really need pt for but just cant manage to fit it in my day guess what its not my priority right now and it will just have to wait (while im in pain and all) but we have enough money to cover our mortgage and feed my family. Yes some kids have appointments that need to be prioritized I looked high and low for places that I can work around the schedule and thats why as I said earlier I work on Sundays. From what you describe you and your husband are both currently trying to start businesses it doesnt sound like a smart thing to do simultaneously you need to have steady income first then start a business on the side.
Ive refrained from commenting till now because I really dont want to hurt you but you keep crying out howuch your struggling and then the more you share the more I realize we are not so different our priorities are.
Page 11 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics