Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Kitchenaid or Bosch Mixer or bread machine for Challah?
1  2  Next

If you only used to make challah - MIXER OR BREAD MACHINE
Bosch Mixer  
 75%  [ 59 ]
KitchenAid  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Bread Machine  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Hand Knead  
 17%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 78

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:01 am
Hi, I have never had a mixer or a bread machine: both are on sale bc of amazon Prime. To make challah (I have a small hand mixer but have been hand kneading my dough) which one is better for challah?
also, what is your experience with Bread Machines and which ones are the best for challah?

Thank you!!

sky  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:04 am
I have a Bosch and a bread machine.

Bosch is great for large 5 lb batches. It does the job quickly. It can also be used for many more things (cookies, whip, etc).

However, I don’t have time right now to make 5 lb dough. I end up using my bread machine instead weekly. But it can only make enough challah for a Shabbos. Right now that is easier for me. And all it can really make is bread and yeast roughs like for cinnamon buns.

mizle10

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:21 am
A bosch is the only one that can handle 5lbs of dough

tweety1

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:23 am
A Bosch is the best for challah a kitchenaid is the best for cakes

ittsamother  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:32 am
I'm not sure myself which is better, leaning towards getting a Bosch. The one on sale on Amazon is sold by Nutrimill. You can get it for the same price direct from Nutrimill, but there is also an additional discount code I found that takes another $20 off. (Just keep in mind that Amazon Prime will allow you to return within 30 days even once tried, I believe, while the direct website will likely charge a restocking fee if you used the machine first.)

https://nutrimill.com/products.....mixer

Use coupon code LOSKITCHEN to take an extra $20 off

BatyaEsther  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:40 am
If you were my daughter, I would tell you to get a mixer as it is much more versatile.
I have both and make my challah in the bread machine-except I make my challah in the kitchenaid when I needed to make 5 lb (ran the kitchen aid for 5-10 minutes times 3 and let them rise together, as the bread machine takes 2 hours, making hafrashat challah more challenging. ) I do love my bread machine, but I would definitely do a mixer first.

Regarding which mixer, I have never used a Bosch so I have no basis for comparison

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:13 am
sky wrote:
I have a Bosch and a bread machine.

Bosch is great for large 5 lb batches. It does the job quickly. It can also be used for many more things (cookies, whip, etc).

However, I don’t have time right now to make 5 lb dough. I end up using my bread machine instead weekly. But it can only make enough challah for a Shabbos. Right now that is easier for me. And all it can really make is bread and yeast roughs like for cinnamon buns.

Thank You, which bread machine do you have? do you like it or reccomend another?

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:16 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
If you were my daughter, I would tell you to get a mixer as it is much more versatile.
I have both and make my challah in the bread machine-except I make my challah in the kitchenaid when I needed to make 5 lb (ran the kitchen aid for 5-10 minutes times 3 and let them rise together, as the bread machine takes 2 hours, making hafrashat challah more challenging. ) I do love my bread machine, but I would definitely do a mixer first.

Regarding which mixer, I have never used a Bosch so I have no basis for comparison

Thank you! which kitchenaid do you have?

the bread machine takes 2 hours per loaf? which one do you have?

thank you in advance, I am new at making challah!

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:18 am
ittsamother wrote:
I'm not sure myself which is better, leaning towards getting a Bosch. The one on sale on Amazon is sold by Nutrimill. You can get it for the same price direct from Nutrimill, but there is also an additional discount code I found that takes another $20 off. (Just keep in mind that Amazon Prime will allow you to return within 30 days even once tried, I believe, while the direct website will likely charge a restocking fee if you used the machine first.)

https://nutrimill.com/products.....mixer

Use coupon code LOSKITCHEN to take an extra $20 off

Thank you, I heard ordering through them Is not as easy to return, I appreciate and will look at the restocking fee!!

sky

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:19 am
frumNYC wrote:
Thank You, which bread machine do you have? do you like it or reccomend another?

I have a 2.5 lb Panasonic for many years. I mix my challah on pizza cycle which takes 45 min and let rise an additional 1/2 hr before shaping.
I have this one but I doubt it’s still available. There are probably similar options
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....ss_tl

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:21 am
tweety1 wrote:
A Bosch is the best for challah a kitchenaid is the best for cakes

ok, is there a major difference between Bosches? Can I get the basic or do I need the bakers pack?

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:35 am
It also depends how much challah you plan on making at once. If you make small batches, either machine would work and I'd recommend the KitchenAid for versatility.

I have a professional KitchenAid that's larger capacity than the standard ones and it can handle 5lb batches of dough, but I prefer hand making it to using the machine. I also make 7-8lb batches. But I still use my KitchenAid for other things a few times a month.

But if you really want to make 5 lb batches of challah using a machine, the Bosch is the best.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 10:59 am
frumNYC wrote:
Thank you! which kitchenaid do you have?

the bread machine takes 2 hours per loaf? which one do you have?

thank you in advance, I am new at making challah!

I have the 5 quart KitchenAid and a Cuisinart CBK -100 .

Shmaichel

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:22 am
I have a Bosch and love making Challah in it week after week bh (5lb)

After a few years, I got the Stainless steel bowl which I like a lot

ittsamother  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:52 am
Shmaichel wrote:

Did you feel the SS bowl was necessary or just a nice upgrade, and why or why not?

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:05 pm
nicole81 wrote:
It also depends how much challah you plan on making at once. If you make small batches, either machine would work and I'd recommend the KitchenAid for versatility.

I have a professional KitchenAid that's larger capacity than the standard ones and it can handle 5lb batches of dough, but I prefer hand making it to using the machine. I also make 7-8lb batches. But I still use my KitchenAid for other things a few times a month.

But if you really want to make 5 lb batches of challah using a machine, the Bosch is the best.

I am not planning on making more than 5lbs of challah regularly. If needed I’ll do 2 batches. Thank you, super helpful!

frumNYC  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:06 pm
Shmaichel wrote:

Is there a taste difference or just better?

frumNYC

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:06 pm
sky wrote:
I have a 2.5 lb Panasonic for many years. I mix my challah on pizza cycle which takes 45 min and let rise an additional 1/2 hr before shaping.
I have this one but I doubt it’s still available. There are probably similar options
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....ss_tl

Thank you! They taste the same? Or is there a difference?

chocolate moose  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 7:23 pm
I used to have a DAK and did 2 batches to have enough to take challah every week. when it died I got the largest I could on amazon. so much cheaper than a mixer plus it's temperature controlled to help the yeast rise better. I really prefer a bread machine! a mixer isn't meant to mix dough. you can easily burn the motor out.

ittsamother  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2024, 10:30 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I used to have a DAK and did 2 batches to have enough to take challah every week. when it died I got the largest I could on amazon. so much cheaper than a mixer plus it's temperature controlled to help the yeast rise better. I really prefer a bread machine! a mixer isn't meant to mix dough. you can easily burn the motor out.

They literally come with a dough hook. Why would they come with that if it's not intended to be used?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars