Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Breaking the sugar addiction for real

amother
OP  

Post Today at 6:14 am
I have a horrible addiction to sugar that I just can't seem to kick. Even the old "get through those first 2 weeks without and then the cravings will be gone" does NOT work on me. I've gone up to 6 months off sugar, but the cravings ALWAYS return with a vengeance and I end up falling off the wagon. I don't know what else to do to stop it for good! Oh, and I'm diabetic. So I really really do need to kick it.

ima22

Post Today at 6:17 am
Sugar addictions are real...but they do eventually go away if you really eliminate all sugar.

In my experience, I had to get rid of all sweeteners and forms of sugar, real and artificial (honey, maple syrup, agave, aspartame....)

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:22 am
I did all that. When I was off sugar, I NEVER used honey or agave either because I knew those are still sugar. The first time I went off I wasn't careful about artificial because I didn't know that it mattered but the other times I went off, I was more educated and didn't use artificial either. I STILL always end up going back to sugar.

amother
Outerspace

Post Today at 6:27 am
Many things have sugar that you don't know it's even there like pastrami

amother
Orange

Post Today at 6:31 am
Given that you are diabetic, have you had counseling by a qualified nutritionist? Or can you get some counseling and ask about the best way to cut out sugar?
Maybe there is a way to limit sugar intake but not to eliminate it totally? That worked for me, but I'm not diabetic.

amother
Yarrow  

Post Today at 6:33 am
I have this with carbs. I have gone off completely for 4 months but instead of the cravings lessening they get more intense.
No one believes me, they tell me I must have not totally eliminated it. They advise me to join OA or do keto. I've done it all and it's only made it worse for me.
I have learned that I have food noise that gets stronger when I cut out carbs and stronger the longer they are cut out.
Most people like this end up on the shots. I can't afford them so for now I eat them moderately and still have binges here and there but it's way less often and way less intense than it used to be.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:38 am
I've done all that. I have nutrition counseling with someone who specializes in diabetes. By sugar I also mean carbs, I need to cut down on those too (though not entirely. Just very very low and nothing white). I KNOW sugar/carbs hide in a lot of things and I know how to look out for it. When I'm doing well, I'm making everything from scratch to make sure I'm not ending up with sneaky sugar. I've done it ALL. I still end up sliding back, even after months of doing everything right. I haven't done the shots yet because I'm breastfeeding, but I will be starting them as soon as I'm done (silver lining of diabetes is that insurance will cover). Is that my only hope?

Mindys_mommy

Post Today at 6:39 am
Keto… carbs are turned into sugar in the body.

amother
Powderblue

Post Today at 6:41 am
You may have underlying yeast or candida issues or possibly parasites (sounds gross but we know about pinworms). You're nursing but when you're done you can do a parasite cleanse

amother
  Yarrow  

Post Today at 6:42 am
amother OP wrote:
I've done all that. I have nutrition counseling with someone who specializes in diabetes. By sugar I also mean carbs, I need to cut down on those too (though not entirely. Just very very low and nothing white). I KNOW sugar/carbs hide in a lot of things and I know how to look out for it. When I'm doing well, I'm making everything from scratch to make sure I'm not ending up with sneaky sugar. I've done it ALL. I still end up sliding back, even after months of doing everything right. I haven't done the shots yet because I'm breastfeeding, but I will be starting them as soon as I'm done (silver lining of diabetes is that insurance will cover). Is that my only hope?

Honestly, I think so.
What other things do you think you could try?

amother
  Yarrow

Post Today at 6:44 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
You may have underlying yeast or candida issues or possibly parasites (sounds gross but we know about pinworms). You're nursing but when you're done you can do a parasite cleanse

What other symptoms would indicate parasites?
What is a parasite cleanse?

amother
Lavender

Post Today at 6:51 am
I believe that vitamin C can help reduce cravings

amother
  OP

Post Today at 7:06 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Honestly, I think so.
What other things do you think you could try?

I don't know. Maybe there is something I'm missing. Or maybe I just have to wait the 6ish months till I finish breastfeeding and see what happens with the shots.

amother
Latte

Post Today at 7:18 am
Did you cut fruit when you went off sugar?

I second the yeast and parasites cleanse, it's a big piece for some people.

A potent brand spectrum probiotic can also help because so many of us have compromised gut biomes and those friendly gut bugs play a large role in cravings and satiety. Don't forget prebiotocs too. In general, healing your gut will go a long way towards this.

Another thing to look at is aggressively supporting the hpa axis. And thyroid should be working optimally.

Look into medications like naltrexone.

Homeopathy can be a game changer for some people.

Berberine and Inositol can help curb cravings.

amother
Winterberry

Post Today at 7:42 am
I've started eating nuts and am losing weight, though I see I also need to exercise. They don't cause sugar spikes and they kept me full.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise