Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Worried about yom kippur

Good Friend  

Post Yesterday at 10:05 pm
Im worried about Yom Kippur. Generally I’m lucky to be a great faster bH, but right now I’m pregnant and so hungry all day every day. It’s far from my first pregnancy but the difference is I became allergic to gluten and eggs and have less food options. (We’re Shluchim in a country far from kosher products like gluten free bread and making these things from scratch is a pain and takes time I don’t have). On Tisha BAv I was in so much pain just from being hungry- I couldn’t sleep at all to help time pass and ended up breaking the fast early for the first time.

Never mind all the things I usually do on YK like take care of my family, daven, run a children’s program. But how will I survive 25 hours of starvation?

Looking for tips! What about those pills I hear about on Imamother? If they’d help there’s someone coming here from NY who I can ask to bring.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

dena613

Post Yesterday at 10:27 pm
It is more important for you to fast on YK than run the children's program, etc.
I know that's not the answer you're looking for...

amother
Bisque

Post Today at 1:18 am
I’m also worried about him kippor. I fasted really bad last Tisha Baav and I’m also pregnant now.
I think this is a question for a Rav. I know I will be discussing this with our Rav next week, to see what my options are.

Ruchi

Post Today at 2:28 am
Perhaps this someone can bring you GF food that is egg free?
Please look after yourself and if possible find a girl who can look after your kids.

0Using energy whilst fasting is not a good idea especially if you're pregnant and hungry.

Good Friend

Post Today at 6:46 am
Im totally ready to stay in bed if that will help. I have someone who can do the kids program and help with my kids.
Tisha BAv I couldn’t get out of bed because of a bad headache but wished I could because laying there starving would have been better if I could have been active to distract myself, so I’ll do whatever makes sense based on how I’m feeling.

I’m mainly wondering if there’s anything to be done about the actual pain of being hungry.

SwissAlps

Post Today at 6:56 am
Hydrating yourself is the most important. I don't know what to do about stomach pains from hunger (I never experienced that) but keeping yourself very hydrated before the fast should help keep away headaches. I usually drink a ton of water with added honey the few days before a fast and find that that's enough for me. I've also heard of coconut water or homemade electrolyte drinks (or store bought) also help. Hopefully being well hydrated will help with the stomach pains as well.

amother
Black  

Post Today at 7:33 am
Ask a shaila. I have a relative like this- has a limited diet for medical reasons and just cannot eat well enough before a fast day to sustain not eating for a whole day. The rav said not to fast, and to do shiurim on Yom Kippur unless it isn't enough for the body and the bad symptoms come.

amother
Wheat

Post Today at 7:33 am
Good Friend wrote:
Im totally ready to stay in bed if that will help. I have someone who can do the kids program and help with my kids.
Tisha BAv I couldn’t get out of bed because of a bad headache but wished I could because laying there starving would have been better if I could have been active to distract myself, so I’ll do whatever makes sense based on how I’m feeling.

I’m mainly wondering if there’s anything to be done about the actual pain of being hungry.

For three days before make sure to keep drinking coconut water throughout the day, it has a lot of electrolytes and will keep you hydrated.

amother
  Black

Post Today at 7:35 am
Adding that a shaila is helpful even if you will fast, so you know when you might need to do something different. On Yom Kippur you often have to figure this out without time or ability to send someone to ask the rav, and it's good to have his guidance on file, so to speak.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note