Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
I just put vinegar into my RH fish
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Nasturtium

Post Yesterday at 7:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Looking at the English (Chabad.com), I see it says "we should/should not," just as we "should" wish each other a shanah tovah. Obviously there are many mitzvos one gets in giving a brachah to another Jew, but what is this source for these particular conducts to be on the level of mitzvah? D'rabbanan? D'Oraisa?

Here is the Hebrew: וְאֵין לְבַשֵּׁל אוֹתָם בְּחֹמֶץ, כִּי אֵין אוֹכְלִים דְּבָרִים חֲמוּצִים אוֹ מְרִירִים בְּרֹאשׁ הַשָּׁנָה

There is a phrase, Minhag K'Gon Halacha, we treat "customs" like they're halacha. A family custom vs a community custom are very different. No you dont get a mitzvah for eating sweet foods, but its the way we celebrate yom tov. Now out of all foods putting vinegar on fish is singled out. Maybe it's considered minhag vs mitzvah but it is a halacha. Otherwise the kitzur would have said, some have the custom to...

The problem with translating halacha is that in english the word should mean that would should but doesn't have to... but that's not the case in halacha. It clearly says "Ain" which should be written as "don't"

PinkFridge  

Post Yesterday at 7:45 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
There is a phrase, Minhag K'Gon Halacha, we treat "customs" like they're halacha. A family custom vs a community custom are very different. No you dont get a mitzvah for eating sweet foods, but its the way we celebrate yom tov. Now out of all foods putting vinegar on fish is singled out. Maybe it's considered minhag vs mitzvah but it is a halacha. Otherwise the kitzur would have said, some have the custom to...

The problem with translating halacha is that in english the word should mean that would should but doesn't have to... but that's not the case in halacha. It clearly says "Ain" which should be written as "don't"

Thank you for clarifying. I don't have time to study other mitzvos in the Kitzur.
And I should mention that I wouldn't never start up with the Kitzur, but not everyone turns to it for practical halachah. I'm curious what the Mishnah Brurah says.

amother
Brown

Post Yesterday at 7:55 pm
I would ask a shaila because I wouldn't want to disregard a very strong minhag but now it's after the fact & fish is so expensive it would make sense to allow an exception.

simcha2  

Post Yesterday at 8:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. I don't have time to study other mitzvos in the Kitzur.
And I should mention that I wouldn't never start up with the Kitzur, but not everyone turns to it for practical halachah. I'm curious what the Mishnah Brurah says.

The mishna Berura doesn't mention vinegar at all.
It says some have the minhag not to have egozim.

amother
Mulberry  

Post Yesterday at 8:34 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
You can check Kitzur Shulchan Auruch
Siman 129 Seif Tes

It says it clearly.

It says the fish used for the siman should not be cooked IN vinegar. As in pickled. Not that we can't have vinegar as any ingredient of any food. And it says the reason is that we should not have sour or bitter foods on Rosh Hashana.

simcha2  

Post Yesterday at 8:38 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
It says the fish used for the siman should not be cooked IN vinegar. As in pickled. Not that we can't have vinegar as any ingredient of any food. And it says the reason is that we should not have sour or bitter foods on Rosh Hashana.

Also, Ashkenaz don't pasken from the shulchan aruch, they pasken with mishna Berura, which doesn't mention at all (I just looked it up).

SisterSpooky

Post Yesterday at 8:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I by mistake put vinegar into my fish. I followed a sweet and sour recipe. Would you use it RH? Crying

As many have already commented, it’ll depend heavily upon your particular minhag. Honestly, I’d just consume it before RH to be safe. 🤷‍♀️

PinkFridge  

Post Yesterday at 8:48 pm
SisterSpooky wrote:
As many have already commented, it’ll depend heavily upon your particular minhag. Honestly, I’d just consume it before RH to be safe. 🤷‍♀️

If it freezes well, I'd save it l'kavod a later Shabbos. Label it well.

amother
  Mulberry

Post Yesterday at 8:56 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Also, Ashkenaz don't pasken from the shulchan aruch, they pasken with mishna Berura, which doesn't mention at all (I just looked it up).

Not all Ashlenazim hold by the Mishnah Berurah. The Shulchan Aruch has commentary from the Rema that explains any time the halacha differs for Ashkenazim.

PinkFridge  

Post Yesterday at 9:05 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Not all Ashlenazim hold by the Mishnah Berurah. The Shulchan Aruch has commentary from the Rema that explains any time the halacha differs for Ashkenazim.

Okay. So Kitzur. Rema. Mishnah Brurah.
So glad we're all together under one umbrella.
When it comes to minhag, one needs to ask in her community. We are a community but can't answer those kinds of questions.

simcha2  

Post Yesterday at 9:06 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:

The shulchan aruch also doesn't mention vinegar. Just the kitzur does.

amother
Diamond

Post Yesterday at 10:08 pm
Recipe please?

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 10:18 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Recipe please?

LOL happens to be delicious recipe my family loves!
Thanks all. Called my dayen he said if it tastes sweet I can eat RH. Also I cooked the head from fish separately with no vinegar.

amother
Maroon

Post Today at 12:02 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Husband (should be gebentched) told me this year that triple strong chrein gives him a simchas yt and he doesn’t want those no vinegar anymore. He wants reg good food for everyone.

Lucky you!
My kids are going to sneak into kitchen and load plate with schug every meal for a month and hubby's going to have panic each time TMI

PinkFridge  

Post Today at 7:32 am
amother OP wrote:
LOL happens to be delicious recipe my family loves!
Thanks all. Called my dayen he said if it tastes sweet I can eat RH. Also I cooked the head from fish separately with no vinegar.

Ah, nothing like the resolution of sfeikos!

I just want to add something: People may not hold by the Kitzur/Rema/Mishnah Brurah, but we all hold of all of them.

Raizle

Post Today at 8:12 am
We aren't so machmir. Part of the Simcha of yomtov is having food you enjoy eating.
Personally I get sick of everything being sweet and just make normal food. We just avoid nuts and sharp and bitter stuff but we don't fuss too much

simcha2

Post Today at 8:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Ah, nothing like the resolution of sfeikos!

I just want to add something: People may not hold by the Kitzur/Rema/Mishnah Brurah, but we all hold of all of them.

I 100% agree.

My only concern is when people hold that a minhag of some is equivalent to the halacha for all.

(I blame schools for not teaching what is minhag, halacha, chumra etc) . So people think that not eating vinegar has the same status as hearing shofar.

PinkFridge  

Post Today at 8:25 am
simcha2 wrote:
I 100% agree.

My only concern is when people hold that a minhag of some is equivalent to the halacha for all.

(I blame schools for not teaching what is minhag, halacha, chumra etc) . So people think that not eating vinegar has the same status as hearing shofar.

Which we have taken on but isn't a mitzvah of the same status as megillah.

amother
Birch

Post Today at 8:48 am
I’m Moroccan. Never heard of this minhag before! I went to BY and know Ashkenazim don’t eat nuts but this I learned today. Thank you Imamother Smile

amother
Tuberose

Post Today at 8:57 am
We have a minhag for sweet and honey, like tzimmes, apricots and dried fruit, but are not so concerned about vinegar. I try to avoid it if possible. Making a brisket this morning with sweet and savory flavors. Almost added apple cider vinegar, but at the last minute remembered not to.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur