Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Keep getting scammed

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 2:11 pm
My grandparents keep getting scammed out of thousands of dollars. They are both smart and on top of their finances. They pay their bills and monitor their investments. But they keep getting scammed. Last year they were scammed out of over $100k which Bh they were able to get back after a long and difficult process. Since then they’ve gotten scammed out of $1500 and now again with 20k.
My grandmother told me that they were very convincing over the phone and made it sound like they were their bank calling asking for verification codes sent by text. When they showed me the text it was obvious to me that it was a scam but they missed the discrepancies that I was easily able to pick up on.
I don’t know how to help them and keep their dignity intact at the same time so they don’t feel “dumb” or like they’re losing it in their older age.
And the anxiety and stress of all these scams are really affecting them, my grandmother couldn’t stop physically shaking a whole shabbos.
Any ideas how to help tactfully?

amother
Yarrow

Post Yesterday at 2:16 pm
will they be willing to watch youtube videos?
kitboga and scammer payback are very good in explaining how clever they are, what signs to look for and what to do if they get a call, e.g for the bank you tell the you will call them straight back and call back to the number on the bank card.

amother
Coffee

Post Yesterday at 2:17 pm
It's very common with older people. Someone needs to have power of attorney and they need to run their stuff by this person. Scammers prey on the elderly.

amother
Glitter

Post Yesterday at 2:24 pm
Explain that if the bank ever calls to not give any information but to tell the caller they will hang up and call the banks 800 number from their credit or debit card.
That's the surest way to not get scammed. If it's not a scam (impossible because bank will never call asking for verification info) then at least they know they're dealing with the bank directly
If it is a scam the other party won't take it lightly.

amother
Nectarine

Post Yesterday at 2:26 pm
get them to agree not to answer the phone unless they know the person calling
and anything else to refer to you
get them to agree that if they get a call anything from anyone they can say "let me get back to you I have to talk to my kids about that..." and get them to agree to not deciding anything on the spot
special place in gehinom for scammers and preying upon the vulnerable
hugs and hatzlocha

justforfun87

Post Yesterday at 2:50 pm
Unacceptable at this time. Someone needs to take over financial power of attorney and give them very little control of their own financial decisions. 1x ok... 3x they can lose everything. Also is this all in their checking account that they are zelling? There needs to be someone moving money to a safe account and oversight from a family member.

sub

Post Yesterday at 3:02 pm
My parents run everything either through me or my sister. Whoever is available. They do not do anything without confirming first. Your grandparents should be firmly told that scammers are everywhere! They should always answer we will get back to you. Do not contact us.
They should not say they have to confirm with their children. That will just raise a red flag to give their number to other scammers.
After hanging up-They should immediately contact someone in the family. They should also have their emails forwarded to you or whoever will be in charge.
Explain to them that these scammers are so good that even seasoned business men have been caught in their traps. And you want to protect them. The fact that they were already scammed shows that someone needs to help them.

write4right

Post Yesterday at 3:19 pm
Don't forget to explain to them that scammers love to create a sense of urgency. In true financial matters, nothing is ever ever that urgent. Scammers will say no, you don't have time to talk to someone. We have to take care of it right away or else. That's never true.

ra_mom

Post Yesterday at 3:26 pm
Grams, Pops, the world is a different place. People are being scammed right and left; intelligent professionals, large corporations, you name it, they've all be scammed. Let's figure out a way to have someone handle the finances, because the way the temperature is out there, your money is not protected.

amother
Papaya

Post Yesterday at 3:36 pm
They should always take the information down and say I need to run it by someone I’ll call you back. They should never give their information out on the phone. Anything real will be ok waiting only scams will deny instant answers.

amother
Oak

Post Yesterday at 3:43 pm
They should never say they need to run it by someone else. If they show they're not able to make decisions themselves, they'll be targeted even more.

UQT

Post Yesterday at 3:59 pm
We had this problem with my in laws. We moved all their money besides 2k into another account that needs my husbands ok to do anything. If they need money we transfer it to their account.
They were very shaken up when they lost 2k and realized they are vulnerable. They were happy to transfer money to their son’s name to protect themselves.

If not, set up alerts where you get an alert if any money is transferred. Usually if it’s caught within a few minutes it’s reversible.

Raizle

Post Yesterday at 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
My grandparents keep getting scammed out of thousands of dollars. They are both smart and on top of their finances. They pay their bills and monitor their investments. But they keep getting scammed. Last year they were scammed out of over $100k which Bh they were able to get back after a long and difficult process. Since then they’ve gotten scammed out of $1500 and now again with 20k.
My grandmother told me that they were very convincing over the phone and made it sound like they were their bank calling asking for verification codes sent by text. When they showed me the text it was obvious to me that it was a scam but they missed the discrepancies that I was easily able to pick up on.
I don’t know how to help them and keep their dignity intact at the same time so they don’t feel “dumb” or like they’re losing it in their older age.
And the anxiety and stress of all these scams are really affecting them, my grandmother couldn’t stop physically shaking a whole shabbos.
Any ideas how to help tactfully?

Oh this is so awful. They deliberately target the elderly. Such despicable people.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Yesterday at 4:19 pm
Dont answer phone calls

amother
Midnight

Post Today at 7:16 am
It seems like you need to take stronger measures, since they are able to text and email.
There’s another scam where they call and say someone’s been in an accident (usually a family member) and ask them to wire money.
You should close the accounts that have been scammed. Open new accounts, get someone else to be in charge, set things up so your grandparents can’t inadvertently send money.
You might need to discuss with the bank how to go about it. Also manage the credit card.
It’s to their benefit, as I’m sure it’s scary for them. I’d also limit the size of the balance in the account, so you can cover normal regular bills, but limit how much damage can be done.
I don’t know if just telling them not to respond to things will be enough, because these scammers are clever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics