Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Clinical Lab Scientist Career?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 12:46 pm
I just came across this career which seems to be well paid and has many open positions. Does anyone work in this job? Anyone looked into the schooling for it? Is it practical for a frum girl/woman as far as school and work hours?

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 12:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just came across this career which seems to be well paid and has many open positions. Does anyone work in this job? Anyone looked into the schooling for it? Is it practical for a frum girl/woman as far as school and work hours?

Iv'e been in and out of a few labs over the course of my training/career.
What do you want to do? PhD? MD? First you need an undergraduate degree and then graduate/med school. PhDs do not get paid that much in academic research but I believe can do ok in industry. Bear in mind that most people do post-docs for a few years after graduating and that is not paid that well.
It's also hard work and you have to really care about it. Maybe some days you work from 10 - 2, but if you want to accomplish anything there will be long days and nights (I've been in labs until midnight!).
You could be a lab tech with an undergraduate degree but vast majority of people do that on the way to grad or med school.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 3:23 am
I'm talking about doing it with an undergrad degree, not while working towards something else. If it pays decently then it sounds like a good option for a frum woman.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 4:07 am
I have experience in this area but I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to.

With a bachelor's degree, the position would be a technician. They would be the "hands" to do the lab work directed by someone else.
When you say "clinical lab" it sounds like someone working at a place like Quest or Labcorp and performing the test.
When you say "scientist" it sounds like someone at a pharmaceutical company who is studying how disease happens in the body.

The lab environment can be exciting and intellectually stimulating. The hours can be flexible and accommodating to a working mother. Obviously these factors depend on individual situations.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 4:36 am
I randomly heard about a non Jewish woman who worked as a 'clinical lab scientist' at the VA hospital and she said it pays well and they are always looking to hire.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:39 pm
Where are you up to on your journey? If you're just starting out, it's probably 10 plus years until you see it any real money.

This is besides the cost of your education, which can easily run into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Lastly, lab scientists work notoriously long hours.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 2:10 am
I'm really just curious about it because I currently work in software development, maybe for my sister who is starting college now.
I thought it might be a job where it's just an undergraduate degree and then you can make $80-100K after a few years.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 5:55 am
Yes. Clinical Laboratory Scientist aka Medical Technologist is a field separate from doctorate level lab research. It is an undergraduate degree and requires a license in some states. In NY and California salaries can reach close to or above $100,000. They are mostly employed in hospitals and reference labs. Most jobs are shift work and it is difficult to find day shift with no weekends as a newbie.
Where are you located?
What personality type is your sister?
Hunter College has a program for this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics