Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What age do boys start going to selichos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:16 pm
Ds10 said "everyone" in his class is going and his rebbi is giving extra points to to kids who go. Talking about the midnight motzai shabbos one.

amother
Apple  

Post Yesterday at 10:18 pm
Depends on his maturity. If my son wanted to go at 10 I allowed it.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:20 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Depends on his maturity. If my son wanted to go at 10 I allowed it.
It's mature to want to go? I think he thinks it's just cool.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Yesterday at 10:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why wouldn’t you allow it?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:24 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Why wouldn’t you allow it?
Because he needs his sleep? I see no reason for a 10 year old to be up at 1am.

amother
Steel  

Post Yesterday at 10:24 pm
I’d let him go
I’d encourage it!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Yesterday at 10:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

And its one day that he won't get sleep. I would encourage it if he wants to.

amother
Currant

Post Yesterday at 10:26 pm
I really dislike when rabbeim do things like this. It's a parents decision if a child should go. Lots of kids aren't able to stay up late and function properly the next day.
I didn't send my 11 year old, and I would be be upset if he lost out from a reward because of my judgment.

amother
Glitter

Post Yesterday at 10:27 pm
Many yeshivas start late tomorrow. If my son wanted to go I would let. I don't stop my kids from doing things that I one day want them to do on their own. Who cares if he thinks it's cool...don't you always want him to think the mitvos are cool and do them with enthusiasm.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:29 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I really dislike when rabbeim do things like this. It's a parents decision if a child should go. Lots of kids aren't able to stay up late and function properly the next day.
I didn't send my 11 year old, and I would be be upset if he lost out from a reward because of my judgment.
I fully agree.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Yesterday at 10:35 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Many yeshivas start late tomorrow. If my son wanted to go I would let. I don't stop my kids from doing things that I one day want them to do on their own. Who cares if he thinks it's cool...don't you always want him to think the mitvos are cool and do them with enthusiasm.

Agree. Losing a few hours of sleep is nothing against a good chinuch opportunity! May he always think of mitzvos as “cool”!

amother
Sapphire

Post Yesterday at 10:37 pm
My bar Mitzvah boy went for the first time and they went to a 10:30 minyan. He can't keep his eyes open for a later one and get up tomorrow and act normal.

amother
  Apple

Post Yesterday at 10:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

Still. All he's asking for is to go to shul for selichos. May this be his idea of cool for the rest of his life. Yes, I allowed my son's to go at that age if they wanted to.

amother
Catmint  

Post Yesterday at 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

He'll get his sleep a different night. It's so common & normal for a 10 year old to go to selichos. Please don't make a big deal out of it. Let him go if he wants to.
If you're going to want him to want to go when he has to, you have to allow him to go now.

amother
Nectarine  

Post Yesterday at 10:51 pm
my 10yr old is going this year for the first time. he asked me this afternoon and I said if he naps he can go. selichos at 1am and it's not local so travel time back.
it's hard when you don't know if the kid really wants it or just wants the reward or cool-factor.

amother
  Charcoal

Post Yesterday at 10:59 pm
amother Nectarine wrote:
my 10yr old is going this year for the first time. he asked me this afternoon and I said if he naps he can go. selichos at 1am and it's not local so travel time back.
it's hard when you don't know if the kid really wants it or just wants the reward or cool-factor.

What difference does the reasoning make? He’s not asking for brand name sneakers

amother
  Nectarine

Post Yesterday at 11:00 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
What difference does the reasoning make? He’s not asking for brand name sneakers

it makes a difference because mom knows he needs his sleep and if he's going for other reasons it's hard to justify the late late night.
I'd still let my 10 yr old go, but I do understand her dilemma.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Yesterday at 11:01 pm
My 9 year old is going tonight

amother
Coffee

Post Yesterday at 11:05 pm
My 10 year old is going for the first time even though his older brother started at 12. He went to sleep at 9 and dh will wake him up. He’s a kid that loves going to minyan and started staying in shul from a young age so this wasn’t something I wanted to take away from him and this way hopefully he won’t be too exhausted tomorrow.

amother
  Catmint  

Post Yesterday at 11:08 pm
amother Nectarine wrote:
it makes a difference because mom knows he needs his sleep and if he's going for other reasons it's hard to justify the late late night.
I'd still let my 10 yr old go, but I do understand her dilemma.

Mom's should also know that most likely nothing will happen if they go to sleep ultra
late one night. This really isn't something a parent shouldn't allow their son to do, unless there's a real good reason for not allowing it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur