Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Starting Teacher Salary
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:24 pm
DD is getting her first teaching job and is wondering what the salary range is for a new teacher. She will be teaching middle elementary, secular subjects in a day school, not an "in town" type school. (If it makes a difference, she's a dynamo and a very hard worker. Those kids are lucky to have her, but I'm totally not biased:)

What's normal to negotiate for? She will have more than an hour travel time in each direction, every day.

Please post if you have firsthand knowledge-as a new teacher, parent of one, or administrator of a school.

TIA

oohlala  

Post Yesterday at 4:11 am
What hours?

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Yesterday at 4:22 am
Location makes a huge difference

amother
Hydrangea  

Post Yesterday at 4:49 am
When I first started teaching about 10 years ago I got 18k, but it’s very community dependent.

amother
Brass

Post Yesterday at 5:00 am
around 8 years ago with a masters degree, in Modern orthodox school I got 30,000

amother
Blue

Post Yesterday at 5:15 am
amother OP wrote:
DD is getting her first teaching job and is wondering what the salary range is for a new teacher. She will be teaching middle elementary, secular subjects in a day school, not an "in town" type school. (If it makes a difference, she's a dynamo and a very hard worker. Those kids are lucky to have her, but I'm totally not biased:)

What's normal to negotiate for? She will have more than an hour travel time in each direction, every day.

Please post if you have firsthand knowledge-as a new teacher, parent of one, or administrator of a school.

TIA

My first teaching position was in Baltimore a few years ago. I have my masters in education. I was an assistant in the am and was paid 18,000 and taught in the afternoon and was paid 30,000.

This year I’m teaching in an in town school in the NY area and am paid around 35,000

notshanarishona

Post Yesterday at 5:33 am
My first year I think I got around $15,000.

amother
Acacia  

Post Yesterday at 6:03 am
My first year in a not rich OOT yeshivish school, 10 yrs ago was $13K

I don't think the school will take her commute into consideration. It's on your dd to calculate how much of the pay is going to her drive and how much she takes home, and decide if it's worth it to her

Btw why is she starting now? Did a teacher quit or the school was unable to hire?
She should do some research if she's walking into a dysfunctional minefield

amother
Green  

Post Yesterday at 7:34 am
Does she have a degree?
What are her hours?
Will she be teaching on Fridays also?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:09 pm
No degree
No Fridays
Modern Orthodox school
Previous teacher quit but I’m not worried. She connects well with kids. She did some subbing in her own high school (as a senior, when they needed coverage for 9th-11th) and was amazing with the girls.
Secular studies so around 4 hours
DD wanted Hebrew but she took this as a second choice

The amounts listed here are so above what they offered, I’m floored. And she agreed to it already. 🫣

Oh well.

oohlala

Post Yesterday at 8:17 pm
What did they offer?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:29 pm
oohlala wrote:
What did they offer?

I made that 19 years ago in the same position!

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Yesterday at 8:34 pm
So 16 hours a week of teaching without a degree? Is it prorated or she's getting that amount one month into the school year?

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 8:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
So 16 hours a week of teaching without a degree? Is it prorated or she's getting that amount one month into the school year?

Travel time 1 hr (with no traffic, which almost never happens, so close to 1.5 hrs) in each direction so she can’t take a morning job.

I should hope they’re not prorating! But maybe they will. Knowing her she won’t say anything 🫣, she’ll agree with their logic 😊.

amother
  Acacia  

Post Yesterday at 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
No degree
No Fridays
Modern Orthodox school
Previous teacher quit but I’m not worried. She connects well with kids. She did some subbing in her own high school (as a senior, when they needed coverage for 9th-11th) and was amazing with the girls.

The amounts listed here are so above what they offered, I’m floored. And she agreed to it already. 🫣

Oh well.

25k is nothing to sniff at! People here who made more had degrees and experience!!!

You made 25k years ago? What were you doing and how experienced were you with it?

To make you feel better, I am a teacher with a decade of classroom teaching experience and no masters but a bachelors, and I make under30k.

amother
  Green

Post Yesterday at 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

I made that 19 years ago in the same position!

I actually think 25k makes sense for no degree, first time teacher, and only 16 hours a week

amother
  Acacia

Post Yesterday at 9:56 pm
amother Green wrote:
I actually think 25k makes sense for no degree, first time teacher, and only 16 hours a week

I agree.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Today at 2:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Travel time 1 hr (with no traffic, which almost never happens, so close to 1.5 hrs) in each direction so she can’t take a morning job.

I should hope they’re not prorating! But maybe they will. Knowing her she won’t say anything 🫣, she’ll agree with their logic 😊.

The travel time is her problem and definitely something she could have brought up in negotiation, though now it's too late. But that's not for them to think about in advance, and the starting salary as is makes sense for that timing/experience and would have been offered even if she lived next door.

I don't think she's being taken advantage of but tell her that if after a few months she seems to be really doing well, she might want to ask about a performance based bonus since they don't seem to have an easy time having a lasting teacher for this grade/subject...

Golde

Post Today at 2:19 am
amother OP wrote:
No degree
No Fridays
Modern Orthodox school

Oh well.

The degrees make all the difference. People with Masters degrees will be paid more than people with Bachelor's who will in turn be better paid than those without any degrees at all. Even for doing the same job. This is the school system as I know it at least. Especially in a MO school, a degree will and should make a fairly big difference.
Also in your OP you didn't specify how very part time your DD will work, so the previous replies might have reflected full time positions.
The length of her commute wouldn't normally make a difference to the pay.

amother
Almond

Post Today at 2:23 am
My first year teaching with a BA was 16K. I was single at the time and living out of town.
Fast forward to when I moved to an in town community. I was quoted 20 for a BA plus MA with an additional thousand tacked on for every year of experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics