Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Starting Teacher Salary
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Today at 5:31 am
25K for 16 hours a week would be more than 62K for a full time 40 hour a week job at the same rate.

That sounds pretty reasonable for a first time teacher with no degree.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Today at 5:39 am
I think it’s reasonable
It depends on cost of living in the area, as well

In S. Fl. public school teachers make about 45K a year
But that’s because the cost of living is less than in the tri-state area.

amother
Clover

Post Today at 5:58 am
imasinger wrote:
25K for 16 hours a week would be more than 62K for a full time 40 hour a week job at the same rate.

That sounds pretty reasonable for a first time teacher with no degree.

I don't think this is a logical calculation as op said that her dd can't get another job with this commute. It only works as long as she's living by her parents and doesn't pay for living expenses.
Which she can afford to do at the moment.

Op looks like it's a good first job. Hopefully she'll be successful and it will open the door to to better opportunities.

amother
  Mistyrose  

Post Today at 6:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Travel time 1 hr (with no traffic, which almost never happens, so close to 1.5 hrs) in each direction so she can’t take a morning job.

I should hope they’re not prorating! But maybe they will. Knowing her she won’t say anything 🫣, she’ll agree with their logic 😊.

No reason she cant take another job to supplement her income. Even with a commute. And a single girl becoming a teacher I would certainly encourage her to do so. She could tutor, babysit etc. plenty of things. 4 hours of work 4 days of week with 2 hour commute is still very little for a 19 year old with no other responsibilities.

amother
  Hydrangea

Post Today at 6:54 am
The commute is not the schools fault, and they’re not going to pay her for that. Can she find a morning job in that neighborhood? When I first started teaching and only had an afternoon job I babysat in the morning- that way there was no prep like a second teaching job.

And 25k is amazing for first year part time with no degree. Plenty of us said we were paid under 20 our first year- and I had a degree!

Also, she’s an adult now. Don’t be too involved in her negotiations that no one wants to hire her because then they have to deal with you.

mfb

Post Today at 7:18 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
No reason she cant take another job to supplement her income. Even with a commute. And a single girl becoming a teacher I would certainly encourage her to do so. She could tutor, babysit etc. plenty of things. 4 hours of work 4 days of week with 2 hour commute is still very little for a 19 year old with no other responsibilities.

Don’t understand everyone saying it’s only 4 hours a day. Don’t teachers have to prepare, mark…

amother
Iris

Post Today at 7:23 am
mfb wrote:
Don’t understand everyone saying it’s only 4 hours a day. Don’t teachers have to prepare, mark…

If you compare it to the starting salary of a full time teacher, it makes sense. Full time teachers also need to prepare and grade work.

amother
Jetblack

Post Today at 8:24 am
I got 10k my first year teaching in-town school. With a degree. And that was 5 years ago, not 19.

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Today at 8:25 am
mfb wrote:

What profession has no preparation or take home work/follow up etc? But thats besides the point there is still plenty of time for a single girl to bring in extra money if she is only working 4 hours a day 4 days a week even with lots of prep time. And if this is the career she wants she should learn to hustle a bit as its not exactly a lucrative career.

amother
Sapphire

Post Today at 9:56 am
amother Blue wrote:
My first teaching position was in Baltimore a few years ago. I have my masters in education. I was an assistant in the am and was paid 18,000 and taught in the afternoon and was paid 30,000.

This year I’m teaching in an in town school in the NY area and am paid around 35,000

That sounds like a lot for Baltimore. I’m curious bec I live here and work in a school. Are you comfortable sharing which one? Or hinting?

amother
Outerspace

Post Today at 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:

I made that 19 years ago in the same position!

That sounds like a good salary!

amother
Amaranthus  

Post Today at 10:44 am
amother OP wrote:

I made that 19 years ago in the same position!

I teach English in an in town school. Also no Fridays. I think 25k for a first year teacher is very good. I'm making significantly more after almost 20 years, but I know a lot of our teachers for on at less than 25k.

I'm shocked that a Jewish school was paying 25k 19 years ago! I started at 15k around 19 years ago.

amother
  Amaranthus

Post Today at 10:45 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
That sounds like a lot for Baltimore. I’m curious bec I live here and work in a school. Are you comfortable sharing which one? Or hinting?

I agree! That's a lot for an assistant! Unless it was special ed?

In town, assistants make less than 10k. In my school they just raised if from 7k to 9k. (4 days a week, pm only)

amother
Nemesia

Post Today at 11:08 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
What profession has no preparation or take home work/follow up etc? But thats besides the point there is still plenty of time for a single girl to bring in extra money if she is only working 4 hours a day 4 days a week even with lots of prep time. And if this is the career she wants she should learn to hustle a bit as its not exactly a lucrative career.

I think the biggest difference is the proportion. A teacher, especially one teaching a new curriculum, is probably spending at least as much time out of the classroom as in the classroom.

amother
Natural

Post Today at 11:26 am
$25k for a part-time inexperienced teacher with no degree sounds really generous to me! I think your dd is very lucky! And maybe she can find a morning job in that neighborhood or even do subbing in that same school
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics