Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
The shots make the rest of us look worse!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Tan wrote:
I’m morbidly obese. At one point lost over 100 lbs with crazy hard work. Gained it all back after back to back pregnancies. I hate myself and how I look but have absolutely no strength to do crazy dieting anymore. My doc recommended the shots but my insurance won’t cover. At this point I’m kind of not really but yes really hoping to become a diabetic so my insurance covers 🙈

I actually am ashamed to say that I've thought about that too. If I actually get diabetes I can get the shots covered.

amother
  Wine  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I actually am ashamed to say that I've thought about that too. If I actually get diabetes I can get the shots covered.

I don't blame you, the system is messed up, not you. If they would approve Ozempic more readily, they won't have so many diabetic people, costing them more in the long run. (Or cardiac and stroke patients).

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:28 pm
I feel the same way OP. I’m not fat, just overweight..aside from not being able to afford it, I’m also scared to take it. I’m scared of the “smaller” side effects of nausea and major stomach issues and the bigger ones, like kidney issues.
I don’t think these shots are sustainable though so eventually these ppl will gain all their weight back and then some. Which is worse IMO than someone who stays at a stable weight, even if Ure overweight.

PinkFridge  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:34 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I feel the same way OP. I’m not fat, just overweight..aside from not being able to afford it, I’m also scared to take it. I’m scared of the “smaller” side effects of nausea and major stomach issues and the bigger ones, like kidney issues.
I don’t think these shots are sustainable though so eventually these ppl will gain all their weight back and then some. Which is worse IMO than someone who stays at a stable weight, even if Ure overweight.

Are there any guidelines for prescribing?

Tao

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:35 pm
amother Leaf wrote:

Genuinely curious, how can you be overweight but not fat? Is it all muscle?

amother
Watermelon  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:38 pm
Raizle wrote:
OP, the rest don't necessarily look worse. Have you heard of ozempic face?

what is ozempic face?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
I'm on Zepbound which is the equivalent of Mounjaro.
I'm running, lifting weights, drinking tons of water, eating chicken cutlets as a a snack instead of carbs which is really what I want. Intermittent fasting. Counting my calories and macros.
And still losing but very slowly.
Doesn't feel like the easy way out to me.
There are plenty of people they can eat whatever they want, they're just eating less of it and dropping weight super quickly.
But that's not me or my body type.
I still need to put in the work which I'm happy to do. So long as the scale is moving down. I've been fighting my body for 20 plus years and im so exhausted. So I'm not going to apologize.
Or feel guilty.
And I'm no where near skinny.
I've gone from obese to overweight and I'm so grateful for that.

Exactly the same I need to work out at least 2/3 hours a day to MAINTAIN!!! I bike swim and Do weights have a personal trainer 3x a week and started learning to train others.. so I can be a size 1x.. and I am greatful. I am on Manjaro… it’s def not the easy way out… still need to watch every bite.. I can’t let myself go for one day or even one meal. It helps that I get ful faster but I still have to make good choices

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:42 pm
I don't know if this is helpful or affordable but I ordered a recumbent bike for approx 200 on amazon...
I try to do it a few hours a day while I'm working on my laptop anyways...

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:04 pm
I've been thinking for a while that obesity is going to become a income dependent thing. People who can afford it won't be overweight if they can go on the shots.
My endocrinologist said his daughter struggled with fertility and got pregnant after going on the shots and losing weight. She went off during the pregnancy but it helped her get pregnant!

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those of us who can't afford the shorts or aren't medically a candidate for them, it's really emotionally taxing to still be the obese one.
At some point there were many of us who struggled with weight, now the number is dwindling and it's only the ones who can't afford it, are still fat.
I live in a small community. All the heavier women went on the shots, everyone is looking thin and fabulous while I struggle my way though diet and exercise for the 8th time in 5 years. I don't want to go to shul.
I am so self conscious in public spaces and when I go shopping. And I am sick of hearing, why don't you just go on the shot?
It makes all of us who are still fat look dumb, when really we're just poor.

I hear you. hugs.

PinkFridge

Post Yesterday at 4:03 am
I feel bad. I understand your pain, OP, and others.
But I'd be terrified to try it. I wouldn't want to start something I'd have to take for life when there are so many possible side effects and more. Overweight carries risks but eating healthy and exercising can be enough to keep blood pressure down, even if the scale doesn't budge. I know, not for everyone, but I suspect a lot of people aren't doing a personal risk/benefit analysis. I'm not jealous of them. And I'm happy for the people who will truly benefit who now have this option.

amother
Sapphire

Post Yesterday at 4:06 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
I don't know if this is helpful or affordable but I ordered a recumbent bike for approx 200 on amazon...

Cool idea! I work from home and need to get some weight off. Where do you put your laptop while doing this? I looked up recumbent bikes on Amazon and there doesn’t seem to be space to prop a laptop while you’re on it.

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 4:14 am
what is ozempic face?

Sagging and ageing of the skin. More wrinkles. I'm not sure if its because of the rapid weight loss or something specific to ozempic itself but a dermatologist coined the term after noticing a lot of his patients seemed to develop that side affect after using ozempic.

amother
Mustard

Post Yesterday at 4:22 am

Which one did you get. I'm looking for one that is comfortable to sit on and use a laptop.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Yesterday at 8:34 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
I've been thinking for a while that obesity is going to become a income dependent thing. People who can afford it won't be overweight if they can go on the shots.
My endocrinologist said his daughter struggled with fertility and got pregnant after going on the shots and losing weight. She went off during the pregnancy but it helped her get pregnant!

Ironically, historically, being plump meant you were rich enough to afford food.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Yesterday at 12:05 pm
I haven't done a survey but my perception is that most people, particularly the younger ones, lose weight for cosmetic reasons. Wanting to fit into nice clothes is a cosmetic reason. Being in the Parasha is a cosmetic reason.

It's mostly when you hit a certain age and your cholesterol and blood pressure soar, you're threatened or diagnosed with prediabetes and so on, or your dr. tells you that your chances of conceiving or carrying to term are not good because of your weight, that you suddenly understand that you may be digging your own grave with your own fork, and health becomes your true motivation.

I agree, most people on weight loss shots want to look good. Because the shots themselves are not without risk, and if your health is your real motivation, you'll be looking to minimize risk.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 12:15 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I haven't done a survey but my perception is that most people, particularly the younger ones, lose weight for cosmetic reasons. Wanting to fit into nice clothes is a cosmetic reason. Being in the Parasha is a cosmetic reason.

It's mostly when you hit a certain age and your cholesterol and blood pressure soar, you're threatened or diagnosed with prediabetes and so on, or your dr. tells you that your chances of conceiving or carrying to term are not good because of your weight, that you suddenly understand that you may be digging your own grave with your own fork, and health becomes your true motivation.

I agree, most people on weight loss shots want to look good. Because the shots themselves are not without risk, and if your health is your real motivation, you'll be looking to minimize risk.

The catch is that insurance doesn't cover the shots preventatively. They only cover once someone already has diabetes. Many obese women, myself included, are at risk for all kinds of diseases but until we gd forbid get them, the shots aren't covered.

Imabubby60

Post Yesterday at 12:28 pm
You're really fortunate to not get this shot, it's risky to one's health in the long term. It causes muscle loss which will really mess up the metabolism, and a host of other potential dangerous effects. It hasn't been around long enough to even know what long term effects will be.
If you can concentrate on health (as opposed to weight loss), your body will make positive changes in the long run. I highly recommend this Doctor's healthy style of eating which I feel is a life saver, quite literally. My A1C was borderline Diabetes and is now BH normal.
This is the plan:
https://youtu.be/GFX9rCDnpZQ?s.....gDPzl

Raizle

Post Yesterday at 3:14 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:

Firstly, my young daughter is the one in my home spouting all the health risks of being overweight and how it affects ones future.
Yes most people want to look good, it goes without saying, but that doesn't discount wanting to be healthy too and I would never call weight loss purely a cosmetic thing regardless of motivation.

Someone commented on my mentioning ozempic face that it beats being fat. What does that tell you about their concern regarding looks?

Second it's my understanding that it's the older generation who struggle with weight loss that are taking the shots but I might be wrong.

amother
Jasmine

Post Yesterday at 4:02 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I got skinny from the shots but for medical reasons need to stop. So I will be probably be the last fat one left.

You're not the last I am. There was one particular local store who used to be great at plus sizes too. This week I went in and much smaller selection. There were about 10-15 ladies there I was the only plus size woman. I wanted the floor to open up right then and there.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise