Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
No money for yom tov
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Aconite

Post Yesterday at 1:51 am
Can you reach out to Mesila for financial coaching and they can help you with your financial situation overall and what you can do to improve it?

Goldie613

Post Yesterday at 3:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks but I hardly buy anything at the local Grocery. I do most at Walmart/aldi/ Costco. We get an order from Lakewood here from a Jewish store which I do about once every six weeks (assuming I can afford it) and stock up.

The Jewish store is just way overpriced.

I don't know if this is a thing, but I wonder if that Lakewood store you buy from sometimes might have a way of helping.

amother
Cerise

Post Yesterday at 3:20 am
If you go to Bina’s gemach and tell her you can’t afford her prices she will work with you, likely give it for free. I am embarrassed to say there are times I wasn’t even able to afford a $10 shabbos outfit and she immediately said is this good price for you? It’s fine you can have it. Take what you need. Her prices aren’t covering costs anyway and she is all about chessed and you can make a donation when things calm down

wanttobehappy

Post Yesterday at 5:45 am
Oh my store a long long post got erased it should be easier to make more $$ then to save mor e$$ can u teach anything (music art tutoring) sell ready made salad for simcha or lunches dips challah sour dough… put together gifts/ do overnight babysitting. Sell junk on fb marketplace anything can sell.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:47 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Can you reach out to Mesila for financial coaching and they can help you with your financial situation overall and what you can do to improve it?

So we did work with someone at one point but we stopped eventually when we realized that no matter what we weren’t making enough to cover it monthly. It’s frustrating. I wish DH would find something new but right now he isn’t so we are kind of stuck (I work too)

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:48 am
amother Cerise wrote:
If you go to Bina’s gemach and tell her you can’t afford her prices she will work with you, likely give it for free. I am embarrassed to say there are times I wasn’t even able to afford a $10 shabbos outfit and she immediately said is this good price for you? It’s fine you can have it. Take what you need. Her prices aren’t covering costs anyway and she is all about chessed and you can make a donation when things calm down

Right ok. So I already did buy from her for this season for my other kids at the big sale, I didn’t feel comfortable asking then. My oldest didn’t find anything though

amother
Pistachio

Post Yesterday at 5:49 am
wanttobehappy wrote:
Oh my wrote a long long post got erased it should be easier to make more $$ then to save mor e$$ can u teach anything (music art tutoring) sell ready made salad for simcha or lunches dips challah sour dough… put together gifts/ do overnight babysitting. Sell junk on fb marketplace anything can sell.
do a Sunday program for little girl do some exercise… it’s very sad that many of us are in this situation. I have helped many women open their own business. One is doing paint parties for birthdays (u tube helped her a ton free ads made on Canva) someone is teaching how to cook Healhty. Lots of people would pay someone to make them healthy dinners for there family’s. I sell jewelry to stores and let people make pop ups in there area. Can u find a store that has overstock and try to make a sale at home. Don’t be shy to say I am in a tight spot and can use ur support. Sell Shakle makeup anything and anything can become a full on business. Don’t give up just yet

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:50 am
wanttobehappy wrote:
Oh my store a long long post got erased it should be easier to make more $$ then to save mor e$$ can u teach anything (music art tutoring) sell ready made salad for simcha or lunches dips challah sour dough… put together gifts/ do overnight babysitting. Sell junk on fb marketplace anything can sell.

I already work a job and do some side gigs. Don’t want to get into specifics as I wrote where I live

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:51 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
do a Sunday program for little girl do some exercise… it’s very sad that many of us are in this situation. I have helped many women open their own business. One is doing paint parties for birthdays (u tube helped her a ton free ads made on Canva) someone is teaching how to cook Healhty. Lots of people would pay someone to make them healthy dinners for there family’s. I sell jewelry to stores and let people make pop ups in there area. Can u find a store that has overstock and try to make a sale at home. Don’t be shy to say I am in a tight spot and can use ur support. Sell Shakle makeup anything and anything can become a full on business. Don’t give up just yet

What makes you think I’m not doing some of those things? I appreciate the advice though.
Whenever people on this site see someone struggling financially they assume the person is not doing enough. But the middle class is just a very very difficult place to be.

amother
Hibiscus  

Post Yesterday at 6:23 am
Can you do a garage sale this Sunday to raise some quick cash? Go to local Non kosher food pantry for produce and staples such as canned goods, flour, eggs, oil, rice, and cereal. May the new year bring you good health, happiness, and parnassah. I’m so sorry that you are in this position.

amother
Blushpink  

Post Yesterday at 6:30 am
I think first step is asking the local Rabbi if there’s a fund to help you out, or a community near you Chicago or even NY might have more funds available and maybe with a Rabbis referral you can be helped.

BeH I’m sure there are many people organizations that can help, as there are always families in need at some point
Aside from tomechei shabbos, and getting a break from tuition for a little while.

It should be a good new year for you and your family in both ruchnius and gashmius

amother
  Hibiscus

Post Yesterday at 6:42 am
I assume you know about this, but posting just in case:
https://kosherfp.org/
https://www.greaterclevelandfoodbank.org/

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:49 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
I assume you know about this, but posting just in case:
https://kosherfp.org/
https://www.greaterclevelandfoodbank.org
/

Yes I go regularly. Thank you so much!

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:49 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
I think first step is asking the local Rabbi if there’s a fund to help you out, or a community near you Chicago or even NY might have more funds available and maybe with a Rabbis referral you can be helped.

BeH I’m sure there are many people organizations that can help, as there are always families in need at some point
Aside from tomechei shabbos, and getting a break from tuition for a little while.

It should be a good new year for you and your family in both ruchnius and gashmius

I don’t know a Rabbi.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:50 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Can you do a garage sale this Sunday to raise some quick cash? Go to local Non kosher food pantry for produce and staples such as canned goods, flour, eggs, oil, rice, and cereal. May the new year bring you good health, happiness, and parnassah. I’m so sorry that you are in this position.

Thank you! I’m not sure what I’d sell in a garage sale, I really don’t hold on to stuff

amother
  Steel  

Post Yesterday at 6:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks but I hardly buy anything at the local Grocery. I do most at Walmart/aldi/ Costco. We get an order from Lakewood here from a Jewish store which I do about once every six weeks (assuming I can afford it) and stock up.

The Jewish store is just way overpriced.

It doesn’t matter that u barely shop there. I kno in my city every week many many ppl have an automatic donation of $5-$10 added weekly to their bill and it goes straight to ppl that can’t afford food. Call and ask u never kno what they’ll say. And many wealthy ppl give to groceries for this!
Also, do u have parents or inllaws that can maybe help u with one of the things u need?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:01 am
amother Steel wrote:
It doesn’t matter that u barely shop there. I kno in my city every week many many ppl have an automatic donation of $5-$10 added weekly to their bill and it goes straight to ppl that can’t afford food. Call and ask u never kno what they’ll say. And many wealthy ppl give to groceries for this!
Also, do u have parents or inllaws that can maybe help u with one of the things u need?

I don’t think it’s right for me to take from a different city. There are many people in there who need help too.

Definitely if we had anyone who could help we’d ask. Unfortunately we don’t

amother
  Steel

Post Yesterday at 7:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t think it’s right for me to take from a different city. There are many people in there who need help too.

Definitely if we had anyone who could help we’d ask. Unfortunately we don’t

I meant call up ur local grocery even if u barely shop there. See if there’s anything they can do. Usually there is.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:08 am
The cholov Yisroel dairy is very expensive here. Yesterday we had no money in the account so we didn’t buy milk, waiting until today when I get my refund from Amazon to buy the milk. It’s hard but we are managing.
I have one pair of shoes for shabbos/ weekday they are white. IYH I hope it’s warm enough that I can wear white still on yom tov

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:09 am
amother Steel wrote:
I meant call up ur local grocery even if u barely shop there. See if there’s anything they can do. Usually there is.

Oh I hear…
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics