OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You said midwest. Are you in Chicago?

No…

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:20 pm
Reach out to your Rav. Most communities have some fund to help out with Yom Tov expenses.

amother
Steelblue  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:53 pm
In the same boat! The only way we’re doing it right now is by using credit cards which r almost maxed out. Hoping a yeshua will come before they’re maxed out 🙏
And not everything can be put on credit cards. Not sure how we’re going to be paying our mortgage this coming month

amother
Steel  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:57 pm
Call up ur local grocery and speak to the manager. Many times they have the funds or the knowledge to be able to help you.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Call up ur local grocery and speak to the manager. Many times they have the funds or the knowledge to be able to help you.

Thanks but I hardly buy anything at the local Grocery. I do most at Walmart/aldi/ Costco. We get an order from Lakewood here from a Jewish store which I do about once every six weeks (assuming I can afford it) and stock up.

The Jewish store is just way overpriced.

amother
  OP  

amother Steelblue wrote:
In the same boat! The only way we’re doing it right now is by using credit cards which r almost maxed out. Hoping a yeshua will come before they’re maxed out 🙏
And not everything can be put on credit cards. Not sure how we’re going to be paying our mortgage this coming month

I get you! We haven’t paid mortgage yet,

amother
  OP  

amother NeonGreen wrote:
Reach out to your Rav. Most communities have some fund to help out with Yom Tov expenses.

Even so it’s a drop in the bucket. It just feels so insurmountable

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even so it’s a drop in the bucket. It just feels so insurmountable

how do you know how much they give
and even if its a drop in the bucket its something

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Tan wrote:
how do you know how much they give
and even if its a drop in the bucket its something

I don’t now but I’m 1400 behind in mortgage so anything up to that amount is not even going to yom tov.
I don’t think anyone is giving that much money

amother
  Aqua  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:48 pm
Whatever happens, be in touch with the bank. Tell them you need an extension. After 3 missed payments they will send you a foreclosure notice. Nothing happens right away but that foreclosure notice is very scary.
Been there.
I’m sorry … it’s so hard.
I’m not there now but I’m dealing with a medical issue. Always something. Hashem wants to hear from us.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 10:15 pm
DD is asking for clothing. Not only for yom tov but also for summer weekday. She does need nothing fits from last year. But every time she asks if she can check Tottini it irks me. “No you can’t check, I have no way to pay for it”. But she wants to look nice and feel good in what she wears

amother
  Steelblue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 10:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
DD is asking for clothing. Not only for yom tov but also for summer weekday. She does need nothing fits from last year. But every time she asks if she can check Tottini it irks me. “No you can’t check, I have no way to pay for it”. But she wants to look nice and feel good in what she wears

Yup!! My daughter’s also been asking me when we’re going shopping for yom Tov clothing

amother
  Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 10:24 pm
I bought my 2 girls 1 new shabbos outfit each. I used the credit card. They want to know when we’ll shop for the rest of their clothes…
The crazy part is that when we went shopping, the stores were packed. Literally packed and people were buying. I don’t understand how people can afford to outfit multiple kids with wardrobes. People must be earning more than I can even imagine.
I sometimes feel like I entered a strange universe that makes no sense when I see how people around me are living.

amother
Amaranthus  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:25 pm
Are you in Cleveland?

Have you gone to the chesed center?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:26 pm
Find out if there are any food banks near you.
Do you have any income? Are you eligible for any government programs?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Are you in Cleveland?

Have you gone to the chesed center?

Yes and yes. B”H went at the beginning of this month. Got 3 chickens which I’ve been using every shabbos so they’re used up and 2 roasts which I hope to use for yom tov (will last one maybe 2 meals).

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Find out if there are any food banks near you.
Do you have any income? Are you eligible for any government programs?

Yes sadly we make just a drop too much for programs

amother
Daffodil  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:44 pm
You all are so lucky you have access to kosher food banks. We live a few hours from NYC in a frum community but there's nothing like that here.

amother
Peony

Post Yesterday at 12:04 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
You all are so lucky you have access to kosher food banks. We live a few hours from NYC in a frum community but there's nothing like that here.

Maybe it’s worthwhile driving to a tristate city tomorrow to pick up a yomtov box from tomchei

amother
  Daffodil

Post Yesterday at 12:15 am
amother Peony wrote:
Maybe it’s worthwhile driving to a tristate city tomorrow to pick up a yomtov box from tomchei

I'm not opposed, I just don't know how it works!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics