No, they owe me the $  
 86%  [ 98 ]
Yes, just let it go  
 13%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 113

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:23 pm
I attended a customer appreciation event a few months ago. I was lucky enough to win the grand prize in a raffle, a $250 gift certificate to a choice of stores. I clearly heard my name called, and it's not the type of name that's all that common. I went over to the business owner to thank them after but there was a whole crowd around them so I figured I'll just wait for them to call me about it. Well, they never called. I meant to give it a few days and call myself and it slipped my mind completely, and I would only remember at times I couldn't take care of it, like Shabbos or in middle of the night. Finally I managed to call them and spoke with a receptionist and she took down the info and said someone will follow up. No one ever did. I called again a little bit later, different receptionist told me "Oh, Malky in marketing will handle it, I'll transfer you, leave a message." Do you think anyone ever called me back? Shocker, no. I called again later, they took down my info yet again. Still nothing! I called again later, they took down my home address and email address and said a gift card would be mailed or emailed to me.

It has now been 3 weeks since then, and absolutely nothing has showed up. On the one hand, I'm upset at the principle of it- I won fair and square, why are they not giving me the prize? On the other, I'm starting to feel like a bit of an idiot. Like, this shouldn't be happening, are they just planning to spin me along endlessly with no plans of ever sending me the gift certificate?

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make a bigger fuss. I HATE confrontation but I'm going to do my best and get aggressive if I need to. But like, what if they still never send anything? What then? Do I call every day just to harass them? I'm tempted to cuz I'm that annoyed. Mad But at the same time it's making me feel really weird. $250 is not petty change to me though so I'm still reluctant to just give up.

What would you do?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:29 pm
My children won a raffle once and the person running it never sent the gift or communicated about it. I emailed and called them many times and eventually gave up. I was very upset but took the opportunity to forgive them fully in my heart in the zechus for something. I don't recall what but I felt better about it that I "won" the opportunity to work on myself and forgive them without holding a grudge. I ended up buying my kids a gift and presenting it as their raffle prize since they kept asking for it.

amother
Moonstone

I would make a fuss. $250 for me is a comfort to me especially if I have to choose whether to pay for electricity or buy clothing for my kids! Hatzlocha in whatever you do.

amother
Stoneblue

I would go to the store, make a $250 order and then when it's time to pay day that I won the grand prize thanks so much

amother
Tan  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:30 pm
I personally would not be able to let it go. It鈥檚 so frustrating when this type of thing happens. Hope you get your prize!

amother
Seafoam  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:32 pm
I would keep calling.

I once won a free wash and set at an auction. It happened to be a shaitel macher that I had used in the past. So I waited til I needed a reset and I messaged her to ask when I could drop it off. She was all friendly until I mentioned at the end that I would be using my prize. Suddenly she was too busy, and she told me they forgot to say there are blackout dates (!!!!) on the wash and set. Oh and then I messaged her to try again in the middle of the winter outside of any busy season, and she ignored me. Obviously it wasn't anything close to $250 value and I was so disgusted that I never contacted her again, not for the prize and not as a paying customer.

amother
Babyblue  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:34 pm
One year I won a raffle that was for a certain amount off two tickets to Israel. I put the tzeddakah in the pot knowing that if I won, it would go to my parents who hadn't been in decades. Guess what? I won! When my parents tried to claim it, using the certificate in the envelope, it apparently "wasn't valid" or something 馃檮.

250 right now would be huge for me. I could totally use the money. I would keep asking and if the organization refuses to answer I would keep calling.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:34 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I would go to the store, make a $250 order and then when it's time to pay day that I won the grand prize thanks so much

Lol! Unfortunately this business is not a place you can make purchases from, it's more of a service business, like an accountant for example. Otherwise, I like the way you think Smile

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:35 pm
This happens so often and is very upsetting

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:37 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I would keep calling.

I once won a free wash and set at an auction. It happened to be a shaitel macher that I had used in the past. So I waited til I needed a reset and I messaged her to ask when I could drop it off. She was all friendly until I mentioned at the end that I would be using my prize. Suddenly she was too busy, and she told me they forgot to say there are blackout dates (!!!!) on the wash and set. Oh and then I messaged her to try again in the middle of the winter outside of any busy season, and she ignored me. Obviously it wasn't anything close to $250 value and I was so disgusted that I never contacted her again, not for the prize and not as a paying customer.

Ok here's what you do- have a friend drop off the wig for you, when she says it's ready for pickup, you show up, wait til she hands it to you and say "Oh thanks, just claiming my prize now, you did a beautiful job!" Batting Eyelashes

Ruchi  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I attended a customer appreciation event a few months ago. I was lucky enough to win the grand prize in a raffle, a $250 gift certificate to a choice of stores. I clearly heard my name called, and it's not the type of name that's all that common. I went over to the business owner to thank them after but there was a whole crowd around them so I figured I'll just wait for them to call me about it. Well, they never called. I meant to give it a few days and call myself and it slipped my mind completely, and I would only remember at times I couldn't take care of it, like Shabbos or in middle of the night. Finally I managed to call them and spoke with a receptionist and she took down the info and said someone will follow up. No one ever did. I called again a little bit later, different receptionist told me "Oh, Malky in marketing will handle it, I'll transfer you, leave a message." Do you think anyone ever called me back? Shocker, no. I called again later, they took down my info yet again. Still nothing! I called again later, they took down my home address and email address and said a gift card would be mailed or emailed to me.

It has now been 3 weeks since then, and absolutely nothing has showed up. On the one hand, I'm upset at the principle of it- I won fair and square, why are they not giving me the prize? On the other, I'm starting to feel like a bit of an idiot. Like, this shouldn't be happening, are they just planning to spin me along endlessly with no plans of ever sending me the gift certificate?

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make a bigger fuss. I HATE confrontation but I'm going to do my best and get aggressive if I need to. But like, what if they still never send anything? What then? Do I call every day just to harass them? I'm tempted to cuz I'm that annoyed. Mad But at the same time it's making me feel really weird. $250 is not petty change to me though so I'm still reluctant to just give up.

What would you do?

You won the prize. It's rightfully yours. Definitely go after it. $250 is a very nice amount.
I would ask them outrightly if there is any reason why you have still not received it, after pursuing a few times. Perhaps offer to collect it from them, so that they don't tell you again that they will mail it........

amother
Violet  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:39 pm
Write them
Don鈥檛 call
Copy everyone up and down the chain
Harder for them to ignore a paper trail
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:39 pm
Oy this is awful! And I thought I had such bad luck because I never ever win any raffles. I can鈥檛 imagine winning and then not even really winning? That鈥檚 so awful and rude of the prize givers.. these stories make me so sad for you ladies who are winners!

SuperWify  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:41 pm
Call the event hosts and ask for a gift certificate. This is why winning services is usually not worth it.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Call the event hosts and ask for a gift certificate. This is why winning services is usually not worth it.

So the prize was meant to be a gift certificate to your choice of three specific unrelated stores, like either a supermarket, a clothing store, or a shoe store, let's say. And whichever I picked, they were supposed to send me a gift certificate to that store.

What do you mean by the event hosts? That's who I'm calling. This business hosted a customer appreciation event, they were the hosts.

amother
Bluebonnet  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:46 pm
I'm always skeptical of these prizes and specials ... Like if you win a wig they will throw a garbage wig at you ... Cut,baby hairs, coloring not included Nerd
Also with promos I went to a gown rental and after we measured all alterations and made up a price I said ill be using the $100 off as advertised so they said sure but that will be another $100 for alterations ...I took the gown cuz it was stunning but never patrionized that place again

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:51 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
I'm always skeptical of these prizes and specials ... Like if you win a wig they will throw a garbage wig at you ... Cut,baby hairs, coloring not included Nerd
Also with promos I went to a gown rental and after we measured all alterations and made up a price I said ill be using the $100 off as advertised so they said sure but that will be another $100 for alterations ...I took the gown cuz it was stunning but never patrionized that place again

Whatttt that's such a chutzpah! I would have questioned them big time on that. Well, maybe in real life I wouldn't have cuz as we see I'm not great at confrontation but I'd like to think I would!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
So the prize was meant to be a gift certificate to your choice of three specific unrelated stores, like either a supermarket, a clothing store, or a shoe store, let's say. And whichever I picked, they were supposed to send me a gift certificate to that store.

What do you mean by the event hosts? That's who I'm calling. This business hosted a customer appreciation event, they were the hosts.

Oh oh. That鈥檚 really not ok!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:54 pm
My friend won a trip abroad through a Chinese auction. The problem was, the organization overestimated how much money this campaign would bring in, and they didn鈥檛 bring in enough money to send the winners on the vacations promised. They tried to guilt my friend into not taking the trip, but she did at the end so I鈥檓 not sure exactly what happened. These auctions and raffles are so sketchy.

amother
Valerian  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:56 pm
Don't drop it.

I have won so many different prizes from various auctions and have had this experience.

Once I won monthly money to the supermarket. Well every month I had to call the guy and remind him to refill my account. I actually called the head of the organization and reported it to her. At the time I had like 2 kids, I said imagine if I'm a family of 7 who needs food on the table.

It was a lot, $500 each month. And I wasn't ready to fargin it so I told myself I have no pride to swallow, he should be ashamed at how he's making the name of the organization bad.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette