No, they owe me the $  
 86%  [ 98 ]
Yes, just let it go  
 13%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 113

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:28 am
amother Birch wrote:
I know who you are and what business your speaking about. First of all the raffle was for $200 not $250 and I believe you were called after the event. Second of all, the last time you called was the only time you specified what gift card you wanted. (Toy store) They know about it. It's being taken care of. No need to call again. It wasn't forgotten about and should be sent to you this week.

What on earth. Why do you even offer raffle prizes if you're going to be a grump about someone having the audacity to try and claim it? OP is supposed to read your mind and know it's being taken care of when there's zero communication on your end?

You know how long it takes to buy a gift card and email it to someone? About 2 minutes, in my experience. Probably about the same amount of time it took for you to type up that response. Rolling Eyes

amother
  Nectarine

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:39 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Sorry I'm not seeing anything wrong here...

Yeah if it wasn’t specified I don’t see why you can’t have your sheitel done at a normal time, before YT. Imagine a restaurant giving out a gift card that couldn’t be used between 6-8 pm, or an airline that couldn’t be used in August. If they want to specify that, fine, but why would the recipients assume they can’t use it then? Those wre popular times for a reason- bc that’s when works with most frum peoples schedules. Including the winners .

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Nectarine wrote:
Yeah if it wasn’t specified I don’t see why you can’t have your sheitel done at a normal time, before YT. Imagine a restaurant giving out a gift card that couldn’t be used between 6-8 pm, or an airline that couldn’t be used in August. If they want to specify that, fine, but why would the recipients assume they can’t use it then? Those wre popular times for a reason- bc that’s when works with most frum peoples schedules. Including the winners .

Yeah I can understand saying sorry not accepting any more wigs a wig to Yom Tov or the certificate doesn’t cover a rush job. But otherwise why can’t I get my wig done 2/3 weeks before Yom Tov.

gilamom  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:50 pm
Ugh, I'm so mad for you because I hate being made to feel like a beggar too. The hassle to redeem a winning prize is so demeaning, it's not fair.
I won a $2500 gift certificate to use towards a sheitel, when I went to redeem it they had just gotten back a wig and the receptionist was saying what a loss it was because a mistake had been made and they're going to lose so much money on it. It was sort of similar to what I was looking for so I asked how much it would be if I bought it and was told they'd give it to me for $1000 so I took it. Very bad decision, the cap was badly messed up and not worth fixing so I went back and figured it's a loss but at least I still had $1500 left to use towards a wig. I was told no, that the gift certificate is for ONE wig UP TO $2500. But that wasn't the wording on the auction booklet or the wording on the certificate, it was a gift certificate for $2500 at that salon, no other wording. What can I do, I humiliated myself trying to reason that had I known I'd never have tried the cheaper wig and finally left when people began to stare and whisper. I called the auction head to made sure I had the wording correct and I did, it was a $2500 certificate and no other specifications had been noted. The auction head said it's almost not worth it to win sometimes, she deals with so many unhappy winners who have trouble redeeming their prizes.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:55 pm
gilamom wrote:
Ugh, I'm so mad for you because I hate being made to feel like a beggar too. The hassle to redeem a winning prize is so demeaning, it's not fair.
I won a $2500 gift certificate to use towards a sheitel, when I went to redeem it they had just gotten back a wig and the receptionist was saying what a loss it was because a mistake had been made and they're going to lose so much money on it. It was sort of similar to what I was looking for so I asked how much it would be if I bought it and was told they'd give it to me for $1000 so I took it. Very bad decision, the cap was badly messed up and not worth fixing so I went back and figured it's a loss but at least I still had $1500 left to use towards a wig. I was told no, that the gift certificate is for ONE wig UP TO $2500. But that wasn't the wording on the auction booklet or the wording on the certificate, it was a gift certificate for $2500 at that salon, no other wording. What can I do, I humiliated myself trying to reason that had I known I'd never have tried the cheaper wig and finally left when people began to stare and whisper. I called the auction head to made sure I had the wording correct and I did, it was a $2500 certificate and no other specifications had been noted. The auction head said it's almost not worth it to win sometimes, she deals with so many unhappy winners who have trouble redeeming their prizes.

Wowwwwww this story makes me incredibly mad. That's just so, so, so wrong! I'd be so upset in your shoes. I feel like it was incredible strength on your part that you didn't say the store name in your post because I would be mad enough to want people to know good and well what they did. Like, in the store itself I'd be stating very loudly in front of the other staring customers "I won a certificate for 2500 to your store, when I was here you did not say one word that if I took a wig for only 1k I'd be forfeiting the other 1500, that was extremely deceptive of you and it's real geneivah since it's not written that way in the certificate at all."

Wow, I feel like your story is the worst one yet.

gilamom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Wowwwwww this story makes me incredibly mad. That's just so, so, so wrong! I'd be so upset in your shoes. I feel like it was incredible strength on your part that you didn't say the store name in your post because I would be mad enough to want people to know good and well what they did. Like, in the store itself I'd be stating very loudly in front of the other staring customers "I won a certificate for 2500 to your store, when I was here you did not say one word that if I took a wig for only 1k I'd be forfeiting the other 1500, that was extremely deceptive of you and it's real geneivah since it's not written that way in the certificate at all."

Wow, I feel like your story is the worst one yet.

Thank you for the validation, I felt the frustration in your own story. It's very embarrassing to have to beg for something owed to you-yes, a prize might seem like a luxury but at the end of the day you won it fair and square and shouldn't be made to beg for it. When I told a couple of friends I really felt like a nebach that maybe people were starting to pity me for not financially being able to just fargin the other $1500 so I don't bother mentioning the store-I'm somehow making myself look just as bad as them!

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:10 am
gilamom wrote:
Thank you for the validation, I felt the frustration in your own story. It's very embarrassing to have to beg for something owed to you-yes, a prize might seem like a luxury but at the end of the day you won it fair and square and shouldn't be made to beg for it. When I told a couple of friends I really felt like a nebach that maybe people were starting to pity me for not financially being able to just fargin the other $1500 so I don't bother mentioning the store-I'm somehow making myself look just as bad as them!

But to me it's like why are we expected to just fargin?? Maybe the store should just fargin??? They're the one who made the commitment after all, you're just the innocent person who won the prize! Why should it be a bad look on you just wanting the thing you were promised and were excited to claim, and feeling upset and frustrated that you were denied it for no good reason??

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 1:01 am
Gosh. Reading some of these crazy and upsetting stories here, makes me wonder why there is no accountability and responsibility towards a prize winner.
Are some of these raffles/auctions a scam?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:48 am
I personally was supposed to be paid $500 for a really hard job I did and it never was paid.

I have been mevatar - I believe that my money comes from Hashem, and I let it go.

BTW - I only make about $700 a week, so this was a lot of money for me....

amother
  Violet

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:00 am
so sorry this happened to you natural!
being mevater and this approach is something we can choose to take for ourselves, like knowing and reminding ourselves all comes from Hashem;
however,
when it comes to others best we reach out a helping sympathetic hand
I hope you got back the money you earned! I hope Hashem Sent it to you multiplied!
hugs and hatzlocha

I do think about this distinction a lot
to can be easy to get confused.
while I can and do tell myself whatever happened to me was/is from Hashem I don't like it if someone even a dear well intentioned friend tells me that, and I do my best not to tell that to others when they come to me for validation, solutions, sympathy etc.; rather, I ask how I can be of help. We can tell that to ourselves for our growth but not helpful for us to tell that to others.

amother
  Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:04 am
amother Natural wrote:
I personally was supposed to be paid $500 for a really hard job I did and it never was paid.

I have been mevatar - I believe that my money comes from Hashem, and I let it go.

BTW - I only make about $700 a week, so this was a lot of money for me....

Were you told that this was halachically the correct approach? The Torah does not encourage us to be doormats.

amother
  Valerian

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:05 am
gilamom wrote:

I win a lot of prizes and I stopped going for things that it's not worth it to win- like service based stuff or trips to Israel. Now I only go for gift cards to Amazon or Macy's type of prizes.

amother
Snowflake  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:07 am
I win a prize from a famous instagrammer. It was a Venus et fleur floral arrangement. Once I won she told me to ask the company which of course never heard of anything. She then told me it was for a keychain. I unfollowed.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:13 am
Ruchi wrote:
Gosh. Reading some of these crazy and upsetting stories here, makes me wonder why there is no accountability and responsibility towards a prize winner.
Are some of these raffles/auctions a scam?

That's why raffles in Israel always have an accounant firm or law firm involved to oversee the whole thing.

amother
  Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:15 am
gilamom wrote:

This is insane!!! Especially if you had to pay money for the tickets then they literally cheated people!

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:29 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
I win a prize from a famous instagrammer. It was a Venus et fleur floral arrangement. Once I won she told me to ask the company which of course never heard of anything. She then told me it was for a keychain. I unfollowed.

a keychain?? whats that even mean

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:33 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
That's why raffles in Israel always have an accounant firm or law firm involved to oversee the whole thing.

Every raffle? No matter what? If I decide to make a raffle in my neighborhood it's expected I'm going to hire an accountant firm to oversee it? If not, where's the boundary over who needs the oversight and who doesn't? And who regulates that boundary?

amother
  Snowflake

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:41 am
amother Oleander wrote:
a keychain?? whats that even mean

I have no clue. She then told me that out of the goodness of her heart because I’m driving her so crazy she will get me a $100 gift card to Venus et fleur. I told her to keep her money and unfollowed.
But she’s a huge instagrammer with 100,000 followers. I think she wanted her giveaway to look nicer so besides for the Jewish store prizes she stuck in some trendy high end companies .

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 12:48 pm
Update : Smile

I waited patiently and quietly all week, and today I gave them a call, they called me about about 20 minutes later and told me it was mailed out on Wednesday. The mail just came and there it was! Dancing

So all's well that ends well!
Giving you all a bracha that all your frustrating 'stories' end well too!

Ruchi

Post Yesterday at 12:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Update : Smile

I waited patiently and quietly all week, and today I gave them a call, they called me about about 20 minutes later and told me it was mailed out on Wednesday. The mail just came and there it was! Dancing

So all's well that ends well!
Giving you all a bracha that all your frustrating 'stories' end well too!

Delighted to hear that you finnnnnaaaaally have it! Enjoy your gifts!
Thanks for updating.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette