Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O Themed shabbos
Previous  1  2

ShishKabob

Post Today at 12:56 pm
Shabbos to me is Shabbos and that equals to the foods associated with it. There are so many seforim that bring down the hidden meaning behind many of the shabbos foods. So for our family it's non negotiable. No one even wants to do it another way. We can serve different dips and desserts, but challah, fish, chicken soup, farfle and kugel stay the same.
For Yom tov we have no issue trying out new menus and foods from various different countries and cuisines.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Today at 1:07 pm
IDK that it's a "thing," but why shouldn't a talented cook who has the desire and the resources do this? Maybe not every week, but now and then, what a nice change of pace! My neighbor used to do themed dinner parties (but on weeknights, so friends from elsewhere could attend). Every year she chose a different country and immersed herself in the cuisine and culture. In some cases she even studied the language. At year's end she gave a dinner party at which she played that country's music in the background, dressed in that country's traditional costume, decorated the house with typical decorations and served an entire meal in that country's cuisine. If they had special utensils like chopsticks or special cookware like a tagine, she somehow acquired and used them, too. It was like a trip to foreign shores without jet lag or passport, and people waited all year for the next one.

Way too much work for me, but if someone wants to do that sort of thing, more power to her! She's not asking you to follow suit.

I'll never understand the pervasive Imamother herd mentality. G-d gave us a rainbow of interests and talents, so that our human "garden" can be varied and interesting. Even a garden dedicated entirely to roses features roses of different colors, sizes, fragrances and growth patterns. One filled solely with row after row of long-stemmed red American Beauties would be boring, indeed.

SuperWify

Post Today at 3:46 pm
I do it! The theme this week is:

Shabbos (like every week).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Today at 4:00 pm
I'll make a different palate eg Thai style soup and main, or other taste palates. I don't xall it a theme. That ima wasn't, she was just saying she doesn't do dips. I didn't grow up with dips. They are v time consuming to make and expensive to buy.

We have soup immediately after making motzei, we don't do a whole course of challah and empty calories.

If I do dips it will be part of a salmon based mezze meal with different types of flatbreads.

Anon bec I still want my kids to get into mainstream schools even if I don't do "dips"

Is this the next shidduch question?
Do the family do dips?
Or cvs have different types of foods on shabbos? Banging head
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note