Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/o what dips do you normally serve shabbos?
Previous  1  2

amother
Molasses

Post Today at 9:26 am
Store bought chummus.
Don’t have money for more or extra time to make my own.

amother
Skyblue

Post Today at 10:20 am
None. Unnecessary calories. Challah is not the centerpiece of our meals and I have no interest in getting ppl to eat more of it. They can eat as much as they like but I'm not serving a whole nother course just to get them to do so. And frankly I'm not happy when my hosts do this. I'm trying to control my weight (for reasons of health, not that it's anyone's business) and this completely extraneous course is a michshol lifnei iver. Worse than dessert, because it comes first, when I'm hungry. Dessert at least comes at the end, when I already ate and am thus somewhat fortified.

I will on occasion serve babaganouche as a veggie side dish and use it as a dressing on my own salad. I never put dressing on salad but let ppl dress their own, or not, as they see fit. People can have the babagee or not, as they see fit, and no one will notice. But when everyone is slathering flavored mayonnaises all over their challah and you're not, they notice.

amother
  Cantaloupe

Post Today at 10:29 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
None. Unnecessary calories. Challah is not the centerpiece of our meals and I have no interest in getting ppl to eat more of it. They can eat as much as they like but I'm not serving a whole nother course just to get them to do so. And frankly I'm not happy when my hosts do this. I'm trying to control my weight (for reasons of health, not that it's anyone's business) and this completely extraneous course is a michshol lifnei iver. Worse than dessert, because it comes first, when I'm hungry. Dessert at least comes at the end, when I already ate and am thus somewhat fortified.

I will on occasion serve babaganouche as a veggie side dish and use it as a dressing on my own salad. I never put dressing on salad but let ppl dress their own, or not, as they see fit. People can have the babagee or not, as they see fit, and no one will notice. But when everyone is slathering flavored mayonnaises all over their challah and you're not, they notice.

My dips are low cal and we eat it with the fish as well as challah.
Garlic confit, tomato dip (no oil), roasted peppers, spicy olives, marinated peppers are not unhealthy and can be eaten with fish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note