Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
If you had a very difficult 3-4 year old

amother
OP  

Post Today at 12:55 pm
Did they get easier at around 4? My almost 4 year old is such an adorable, smart kid but such a troublemaker. A lot of his behaviors is like having a 1 or 2 year old. Throwing and spilling things, coloring on my walls, table etc even when I give him paper, completely ignoring us when we are trying to ask him to do something he doesn’t want to do, bothering his siblings then bracing himself because he knows what’s coming (meaning he knows he’s doing something wrong) , hitting us when he’s upset and laughing when we try to discipline him, running in the street despite punishments given. Just couldn’t care less, he’ll do the misbehavior and ask you to punish him after with a smirk on his face. Positive reinforcement does not work either. My husband thinks he just has a troublemaker personality. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with him because the kids I see don’t act like this. Or are there kids would go through the terrible two’s at 3 years of age and get better at 4?

I’m totally at my wits end and don’t know how to deal with him. Mad

amother
Mimosa

Post Today at 12:57 pm
I’d evaluate that’s what asd and adhd look like at this age

mha3484  

Post Today at 1:00 pm
No my oldest hit his worst at 4 but I would say it started getting better around 2nd-3rd grade.

I have an almost 10 year old who was also pretty challenging at that age and I feel like in the last half year I have seen K"AH a ton of maturity. He really has become a nicer, calmer, more pleasant person since last spring.

I also have an 8 year old who has an enormous amount of energy and was super impulsive at that age. But he is a real sweetheart so it was more manageable.

All three have ADHD plus other stuff and have done many different things to help each one.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 1:11 pm
I should add that his Morah’s never complain. They always say he’s so good. How can he behave elsewhere but not at home? He’s not hyperactive but I do think he’s impulsive. So what now?

mha3484  

Post Today at 1:36 pm
I learned when my oldest was little to tell my self school is not home and home is not school. Its two totally different environments with different expectations and I learned I cant compare behavior at on to the other.

The explosive child helped us a lot. Therapy was helpful, when he got a little older meds helped a lot. OT helped my sensory child but it was useless for my impulsive ones.

amother
Thistle  

Post Today at 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I should add that his Morah’s never complain. They always say he’s so good. How can he behave elsewhere but not at home? He’s not hyperactive but I do think he’s impulsive. So what now?

Are you me??
Following

amother
  Thistle

Post Today at 1:37 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I learned when my oldest was little to tell my self school is not home and home is not school. Its two totally different environments with different expectations and I learned I cant compare behavior at on to the other.

The explosive child helped us a lot. Therapy was helpful, when he got a little older meds helped a lot. OT helped my sensory child but it was useless for my impulsive ones.

What was diagnosis?

mha3484

Post Today at 1:41 pm
Child #1 ADHD and giftedness

#2 ADHD and Anxiety and some sensory issues

#3 Straight up classic ADHD cant sit or be quiet but does great in life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics