Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O Themed shabbos
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Today at 11:41 am
I’ve never heard of this concept before. How does this work? Is it one country a year? Can you repeat themes? Do you need to match every drink, and dishes too? Is the room decorated? What are the rules? How many people actually do this?

For those who missed it someone was bothered dips don’t fit the shabbos food themes.

ShishKabob  

Post Today at 11:44 am
I've never heard of it or come across it either.
The most I've heard was serving some kind of food or dessert that comes in with the parsha, especially from Sefter Bereishis and Shmos where it's much easier to do that.

kenz  

Post Today at 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I’ve never heard of this concept before. How does this work? Is it one country a year? Can you repeat themes? Do you need to match every drink, and dishes too? Is the room decorated? What are the rules? How many people actually do this?

For those who missed it someone was bothered dips don’t fit the shabbos food themes.

I didn’t see the other thread but now I want to start having a themed Shabbos every week with food from a different country! How fun! I’m sure there are endless ways to personalize chicken soup!

amother
Moccasin

Post Today at 11:47 am
Seems strange to me.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:49 am
kenz wrote:
I didn’t see the other thread but now I want to start having a themed Shabbos every week with food from a different country! How fun! I’m sure there are endless ways to personalize chicken soup!

I think you need to drop the chicken soup and make soups of that country.

Aurora

Post Today at 11:50 am
Some of my friends have done it. It usually means picking a particular cuisine to base your meal around. Themed tableware/decor/what have you is totally optional.

mha3484  

Post Today at 11:50 am
I did it a lot when I was younger and new to making shabbos. It helped me pick 3-4 dishes that had flavors that went together. Eventually life got busier and I got more experienced as a cook and I stopped but it was a lot of fun. I should do it again one week.

mha3484  

Post Today at 12:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

Almost all cuisines have a version of chicken soup. I have done an Asian version, a Mexican, Italian. Its a universal food.

amother
White

Post Today at 12:21 pm
She's not making "themed" Shabbos, and you know it 🙄 She was saying that she switches up her cuisines and they often don't mesh with the more traditional items. It's called flavor profile, not everything works together. Nothing to do with themes.

joonabug

Post Today at 12:23 pm
I dont do it but I kind of wish I did! so fun and cool to try new things

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:24 pm
amother White wrote:
She's not making "themed" Shabbos, and you know it 🙄 She was saying that she switches up her cuisines and they often don't mesh with the more traditional items. It's called flavor profile, not everything works together. Nothing to do with themes.

She called it themed and I don’t see how there isn’t a dip for each type of cuisine. And I don’t know anything. And obviously it’s serious because she started a whole thread bothered about it.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Today at 12:29 pm
I do it for yom tov when I get bored of the same food
I will do the whole meal with similar cuisines
So Chinese
Mexican
Syrian
Middle Eastern
BBQ
It helps me have a switch up and not get bored.
For shabbos my husband is traditional so he doesn’t go for that..

Good Friend

Post Today at 12:33 pm
Sometimes shluchim will do this to encourage people to come to Shabbos meals.

But to the OP of both this thread and the other one: Live and Let Live! No harm is done by someone serving the food that they want in their house.

essie14

Post Today at 12:36 pm
We do a themed Shabbat every once in a while. It's fun.
Mexican and Indian are particular favorites.
We also do Asian.
It gets my kids really involved in the cooking.
Lots of fun.

kenz  

Post Today at 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Hm, I don’t know if that would go over in my house. Maybe I could do both.

kenz

Post Today at 12:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Almost all cuisines have a version of chicken soup. I have done an Asian version, a Mexican, Italian. Its a universal food.

I’m so going to try this after yom tov! Do you just google the recipes?

amother
Chocolate

Post Today at 12:49 pm
We do it sometimes.
It’s just about having food from a country, that’s all. No costumes, decorations or mariachi bands involved.
I don’t see anything wrong with it. And if you do, just don’t do it in your house.
I remember bringing someone into an utter horror when I mentioned that we didn’t always have chicken soup on Friday night especially during the summer. You would think I transgressed all possible Shabbos restrictions.
Live and let live. Do what works for you.

mha3484

Post Today at 12:49 pm
Yes google and cookbooks.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 12:52 pm
Good Friend wrote:
Sometimes shluchim will do this to encourage people to come to Shabbos meals.

But to the OP of both this thread and the other one: Live and Let Live! No harm is done by someone serving the food that they want in their house.

I don’t care. I’m not outraged. Just merely curious because I’ve never heard of this concept before.

Ruchel

Post Today at 12:52 pm
We definitely don't stick to traditional but no, I'm not struggling with keeping everything about one country
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note