Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
5 year old fashion vent
1  2  Next

mha3484  

Post Today at 10:50 am
This is part vent and part trying to be DLKZ. I have 3 boys and a 5 and 3 year old girl so frum kids fashion is a new experience for me. I took the 5 year old to a very nice community program to get a yomtov dress yesterday and was left feeling so sad on a broader level. She found something she liked which I am very grateful for. In the name of matching I guess, the dresses in size 5/6 looked so mature, like a mini version of the dresses for preteens.

The question I kept asking myself when I got home later was why are we in such a rush for our 5 year olds to look like they are 8/9/10? Mine likes pink, purple, sparkles, unicorns, doesnt own black clothing except for her school uniform and even that insisted on pink sneakers. What happened to fun cheerful clothing for little girls? Maybe this is just because I am old fashioned but Id love to hear others perspectives on this.

ittsamother  

Post Today at 10:53 am
I get my kid fun cheerful clothing for weekday. When it comes to YT though, I want her to look classy and elegant. I don't want unicorns on Rosh Hashanah, I want a pretty dress. And I think the lil kids' shabbos clothing options out there are pretty and have nice colors without being kiddy and rainbow.

mha3484

Post Today at 10:58 am
I guess that's what makes me odd I never put the words elegant and 5 year old together. I don't want unicorns either but last year I found her a nice purple dress with flowers that felt appropriate for her age and made her happy. This year we ended up with a dark green dress that made us both happy but she would loved something in the pink/purple family over dark colors.

amother
Linen  

Post Today at 11:03 am
I also don’t like my kids in black. Or only solid navy blue. Or Clothing that is dark.
My dd got pinks and plaids.
I agree. No reason to grow up too fast and look like mini adults.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Today at 11:05 am
I don't shop frum stores exclusively but I've always managed to find kid friendly yet still pretty and dressy yt and shabbos clothes for 5 year old girls. I stay away from the blacks, browns, Greys, beiges and overly mature styles. There are plenty of pretty greens, blues, purples, burgundies, pinks, flowers, ruffles, bows, smocking and embroidery to choose from.

amother
Opal  

Post Today at 11:07 am
I felt that way with my oldest. But now I got my little one some dark clothing I like the sharp look. She did also get some colorful things but I’m not as anti black and dark colors anymore.

ittsamother  

Post Today at 11:07 am
Yeah, this summer my kids wore white with blue dresses, and coordinating pastel dresses. There are plenty of options that aren't black, navy or beige.

ittsamother

Post Today at 11:09 am
In general in the winter the color scheme is a little darker, heavier fabrics, you're not gonna see bright purples and pinks because it's just not considered wintery.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Today at 11:11 am
I feel the opposite way.

I can’t imagine putting unicorns and rainbows on my 4 year old daughter. To me it looks cheap and not pretty.

I actually find the way most non Jews dress their kids to be very not my taste.

I agree though that there’s a level in which Jewish fashion has matured our kids, but it’s only a few brands. Most Jewish brands are adorable and are very flattering to the kids.

I find tbat most frilly and floral jumpers and dresses sold at non Jewish stores make kids look messy

amother
Forsythia  

Post Today at 11:36 am
I also love color and fun on little girls. I think there is absolutely a way to do it that looks classy.
Check out next, Boden, Lola and the boys (alot to sift through but I've found some gems), Zara, La Coqueta, Tia Cibani used to be a favorite but I don't know if we should buy her stuff anymore...

amother
Chambray

Post Today at 12:58 pm
For all of you who are saying "I want my daughter to look..." "Or I prefer this look" does your daughter get say? Why sre your dressing another person based on your preferences? Yes, she's your child but at that age they're big enough to have likes and preferences? Who cares if it's different than your taste, as long as it's tznius/appropriate?

amother
  Opal  

Post Today at 12:59 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
For all of you who are saying "I want my daughter to look..." "Or I prefer this look" does your daughter get say? Why sre your dressing another person based on your preferences? Yes, she's your child but at that age they're big enough to have likes and preferences? Who cares if it's different than your taste, as long as it's tznius/appropriate?

What if she loves all black and insists on it? Or this just about unicorns and rainbows.

giftedmom  

Post Today at 1:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I guess that's what makes me odd I never put the words elegant and 5 year old together. I don't want unicorns either but last year I found her a nice purple dress with flowers that felt appropriate for her age and made her happy. This year we ended up with a dark green dress that made us both happy but she would loved something in the pink/purple family over dark colors.

There are many many gorgeous colored and floral options this season that are nice enough for YT

amother
  Forsythia

Post Today at 1:10 pm
amother Chambray wrote:

Sure, I mean my daughter loves all things purple, sparkly, and poofy. I love to see the excitement in her eyes when I buy something for her that I know she will love.
So far she is super happy with what I buy for her (mostly online), but when we get to the stage that she expresses an interest in going to pick things out herself I'll definitely do that. I don't think there is anything wrong with dressing my kids in a style that I prefer.
If you have a 5 year old who prefers to wear only black that's totally ok to buy her that. OP said her daughter would have loved something pink or purple but they couldn't find it.

amother
  Linen

Post Today at 1:14 pm
amother Chambray wrote:

We were shopping and my dd picked a dress totally not my style. Collar bothered me. But there was nothing wrong with the dress. I let her get it. I’d rather she figure out what she likes then learn to like how she looks based on my approval.

As long as the clothing is socially acceptable I’d let her get what she likes.

That is why I don’t like family matching looks bec kids then rarely have an opportunity to learn what they like.

Black, blue, and brown clothing also makes matching siblings of different genders easier.

giftedmom

Post Today at 1:17 pm
amother Linen wrote:
We were shopping and my dd picked a dress totally not my style. Collar bothered me. But there was nothing wrong with the dress (faded antique rose pink with flowers and crochet collar). I let her get it. I’d rather she figure out what she likes then learn to like how she looks based on my approval.

That is why I don’t like family matching looks bec kids then rarely have an opportunity to learn what they like.

Black, blue, and brown clothing also makes matching siblings of different genders easier.

lol my kids beg me to match. I am almost bullied into buying more expensive clothes for my toddler so she can match her teen sister.

amother
  Opal  

Post Today at 1:19 pm
amother Linen wrote:
We were shopping and my dd picked a dress totally not my style. Collar bothered me. But there was nothing wrong with the dress. I let her get it. I’d rather she figure out what she likes then learn to like how she looks based on my approval.

I don’t like getting matching but my kids beg for it. They love it. So we do half and half.

amother
Mint

Post Today at 1:20 pm
I have girls ages 6 and 3 and I refuse to put them in black. I've found nice colorful dresses in kidichic, zara, and old navy

amother
Papayawhip

Post Today at 2:29 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I dunno.

Here are some current links.

https://junees.com/products/fl.....dress

https://junees.com/products/ba.....skirt

https://junees.com/products/sc.....dress

https://junees.com/products/mu.....dress

https://junees.com/products/de.....dress

All of these are more suitable for a teen or grown woman, except for the last link.

I agree with you OP, they are only little once, let them look like little girls, not little women.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics