Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are you supposed to tip uber driver?
Previous  1  2

Amelia Bedelia  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:23 pm
bestme wrote:
My friend was once in an Uber and the driver told her that everyone always tips him except for Jewish and Hispanic passengers. Since then I always tip.

Uber or regular car service?

bestme

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:25 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Uber or regular car service?

Uber

amother
Nutmeg

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:28 pm
Uber eats into almost half of their profits and doesn't pay for their car or maintenance. Even if it's expensive, so much of the money isn't making it to the driver.

I tip!

amother
  Crocus

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:29 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Amother Smokey are you an Uber driver by chance?

At least 4 different “tip” related threads have all been bumped, not all Uber related

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 2:11 pm
No. Not American though.

amother
DarkPurple  

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 3:39 pm
I’m a regular Uber/Lyft user. I don’t usually tip unless service was exceptional. It’s an expensive enough service as it is. Sure, they don’t make that much and most goes to the app, but tipping culture is insane and this would be feeding it.

It’s annoying enough that they cancel on you, take much longer to come than the app says, make you wait forever to get paired with a driver and the app constantly encourages you to spend more for faster pickup and then the pickup ends up being just a minute faster.

I remember reading somewhere that a bunch of drivers went to start their own company, one that wouldn’t take so much from the drivers. If that ever gets popular I’d much rather join that.

malky800

Post Yesterday at 8:27 am
I wasn't so careful about tipping especially when it was so expensive already.
I don't know what happened but I got a message the drivers rated me and my rating was under 4.5!.
Be aware they rate you also
Then uber cancelled my account. And there is no one to talk to.
Because it's associated with my cell number it wasn't just to open a different account

I switched to lyft.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Yesterday at 8:39 am
malky800 wrote:
I don't know what happened but I got a message the drivers rated me and my rating was under 4.5!.
Because it's associated with my cell number it wasn't just to open a different account

I switched to lyft.

They canceled your account for not tipping?

At one point I was taking many many Uber/Lyft rides a year. I once got a warning that I got my second negative rating on my account and if I'm not careful they will shut my account. I messaged them complaining, saying that my account was showing that I'm a star rider. If I have hundreds of rides on my account and just two were negative, proportionwise it's bound to happen. How can they do that? They did end up deleting that negative rating. I still don't know why that happened, perhaps because I had a crying baby in the car.

I also remember during COVID, after I tipped my driver and was trying to order an uber back, the app requested that I take a photo of myself wearing a mask, which meant that a driver (presumably the previous driver) reported that I was not masked- a lie! I was fuming and wanted to take back my tip, but there is no option to do that. I tried complaining to Uber but there's no customer service option.

amother
Gray  

Post Yesterday at 8:56 am
How is this even a question?

Taxi drivers have always received tips. I don't know anyone who didn't tip a tax driver and extra if they extended themselves beyond just driving you to your destination.

Non tippers really perpetuate stereotypes of Jewish cheapness.

Ruchel

Post Yesterday at 8:57 am
Never tipped taxis either 🇫🇷

amother
  Gray  

Post Yesterday at 9:06 am
Ruchel wrote:
Never tipped taxis either 🇫🇷

You are in Europe where waiters aren't typically tipped.

In the USA it is an expectation that service people are tipped - taxis, waiters, hair dressers, movers, delivery people, cleaners in hotels and UBER drivers as well as valets, bus boys, porters, doormen. My parents weren't bon vivant types splashing wads of cash but I grew up with all of this being taught as the appropriate manner in which you act.

When you don't tip, you are viewed operating outside what is customary and viewed as a cheap person.

amother
Starflower

Post Yesterday at 9:23 am
Tipping is only the norm in USA and Canada. In Europe and most other places it's not a thing unless you ask for some extra services.
Like I once asked the driver to help me take a lot of bags home from the car, I gave him an extra £10 tip and he was shocked lol.

amother
  DarkPurple

Post Yesterday at 10:03 am
malky800 wrote:

I switched to lyft.

That’s crazy! I have taken 200+ rides and have a 5 star rating, and can count on my hand the times I have tipped.

But this is on Lyft, I prefer it to Uber for some reason. Maybe that makes a diff.

readreread  

Post Yesterday at 10:09 am
Yes, you should always tip (if you live in the US). I have never heard anyone suggest that it is acceptable not to tip! They are providing you with a service just like a restaurant waiter or sheitel macher or nail technician.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Yesterday at 12:08 pm
in israel no one tips taxi drivers

amother
  Seafoam

Post Yesterday at 1:12 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
That’s crazy! I have taken 200+ rides and have a 5 star rating, and can count on my hand the times I have tipped.

But this is on Lyft, I prefer it to Uber for some reason. Maybe that makes a diff.

This thread actually made me curious about my rating-I honestly never checked. I hardly ever tip unless a driver went out of his way to help me and I have a five star rating. This is Uber for reference.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 1:14 pm
readreread wrote:
Yes, you should always tip (if you live in the US). I have never heard anyone suggest that it is acceptable not to tip! They are providing you with a service just like a restaurant waiter or sheitel macher or nail technician.

I don’t tip my shaitel macher, nor my Uber driver.

Brit in Israel

Post Yesterday at 3:07 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
in israel no one tips taxi drivers

If they think you are not Israeli they add their own tip to the price.
I always say to have it on the meter, once the whole 20 mins ride he kept on asking me if I will add to the final price, trying to find out if I'm renting or bought etc (I dont even live in an american neighbourhood) I kept on telling him if he wants more than the meter he can ask dh who is waiting outside with the money for me, as soon as he saw dh from far, he asked 'what your husband is israeli?' he didn't say a single word about adding on more money LOL
I have also had them change the Tariff on the meter for no valid reason.

amother
  Gray

Post Yesterday at 3:45 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I don’t tip my shaitel macher, nor my Uber driver.

Your sheitemacher probably owns the business and etiquette doesn't require tipping the owner of a salon - only if the person is an employee. The rationale is that the owner of a salon gets the full benefit of whatever they choose to charge.

Did you not tip taxi drivers?

Why don't you consider UBER drivers to be in the same category?

readreread

Post Yesterday at 7:29 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Your sheitemacher probably owns the business and etiquette doesn't require tipping the owner of a salon - only if the person is an employee. The rationale is that the owner of a salon gets the full benefit of whatever they choose to charge.

Wow I had no idea. I have been tipping this entire time Confused I hope she didn't think I was being a weirdo.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics