Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are you supposed to tip uber driver?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:24 pm
New to using Uber, I am using them through Fruber ( a phone line where you call/text and they order the uber for you).
Are you supposed to tip the driver the way I would a car service driver? or is that included in the credit card.
Also- this is for anyone else that uses Fruber? Why is it so expensive? Am I paying more by using Fruber? The price is outrageously high.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
New to using Uber, I am using them through Fruber ( a phone line where you call/text and they order the uber for you).
Are you supposed to tip the driver the way I would a car service driver? or is that included in the credit card.
Also- this is for anyone else that uses Fruber? Why is it so expensive? Am I paying more by using Fruber? The price is outrageously high.

When using Uber, they always ask you at end of trip to rate the driver and if want to give a tip. I usually do.

And of course Fruber is more, you're paying a certain percent for the 'agent'.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes, you are expected to tip.

You are paying for fruber as a service on top of paying for uber, so that makes the price much higher.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:51 pm
I always give a good rating and tip when I feel like they were extra nice. Like when I needed to go grocery shopping and the driver helped me get the stuff in and out of the trunk.

amother
Smokey  

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:19 pm
The expectation is that you tip the Uber driver, yes, as long as the service is polite and gets you where you're going. And remember that Uber drivers rate customers too - if you are not polite or don't tip, they're more likely to rate you lower. When Uber drivers get offers for rides, they see a customer's rating and that informs whether or not to accept the ride or not.

amother
Crocus  

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:51 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
The expectation is that you tip the Uber driver, yes, as long as the service is polite and gets you where you're going. And remember that Uber drivers rate customers too - if you are not polite or don't tip, they're more likely to rate you lower. When Uber drivers get offers for rides, they see a customer's rating and that informs whether or not to accept the ride or not.

The ratings I assume don’t affect OP since it’s not her Uber account being used, she is using a service that hires the Uber for her.

In this specific case I’d tip cash, though normally you’d rate and tip the driver via the Uber app after each ride

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 6:18 am
I thought uber drivers don't know if you tip

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 6:21 am
I only tip if I have bags or a carriage and they offer to help. The driver sees when they get a tip but they don’t know who it’s from

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:01 am
You don’t tip the driver with cash. You tip through the Uber app. During the ride a message pops up on your phone asking if you want to tip. I don’t think the driver knows who tips and who doesn’t.
Yes, you are paying someone to order the Uber for you so of course that is very expensive. It might be cheaper to use a car service company.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:14 am
I use Uber in Brooklyn, it is already a very expensive service so I can't imagine another vendor being involved.
I don't tip for a regular car ride. I only tip if the driver went out of his way some how. If there was a lot of traffic and he stayed calm, helped me with heavy packages, if I do multiple stops...

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:21 am
You should always give a five star rating , unless you have a reason not to. Anything less then 5 stars really impacts them, the need to maintain a very high rating to keep their job.

My understanding is that tips are not expected for rides, but they are for Uber eats/delivery I could be wrong.

amother
  Smokey  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:08 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I thought uber drivers don't know if you tip

Of course they know if you tip - tips show up next to completed rides. But even if they didn't know, would that make it ok not to tip? No. Please, tip your gig workers.

amother
  Smokey  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Green wrote:
You should always give a five star rating , unless you have a reason not to. Anything less then 5 stars really impacts them, the need to maintain a very high rating to keep their job.

My understanding is that tips are not expected for rides, but they are for Uber eats/delivery I could be wrong.

What?? Tips are not expected for rides? Of course they are. After ever ride, a screen pops up asking to rate your driver and tip them, and it gives a suggested tip amount. You're generally expected to to tip that suggested amount if the driver did a good job. Uber drivers get half or less of the price you pay for the ride, as there's a lot of overhead and risk involved w/ Uber services. Your $28/40 minute trip to the airport pays them $11-$12. You're absolutely expected to tip for Uber rides and I have no clue where you'd hear otherwise...

amother
  Smokey  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:13 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
I use Uber in Brooklyn, it is already a very expensive service so I can't imagine another vendor being involved.
I don't tip for a regular car ride. I only tip if the driver went out of his way some how. If there was a lot of traffic and he stayed calm, helped me with heavy packages, if I do multiple stops...

This is not at all typical outside the frum community. Drivers expect tips for adequate/good service, even if they don't need to go out of their way on a given day per that day's circumstances. It's 100% a social norm outside the frum community to always tip for adequate and routine car/taxi rides...

amother
Seafoam  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:13 pm

amother
  Crocus  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Of course they know if you tip - tips show up next to completed rides. But even if they didn't know, would that make it ok not to tip? No. Please, tip your gig workers.

Can I just ask why you’re bumping up all these threads? If you need to vent start a new one. Or at the very least stick to one old thread

amother
  Smokey  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I only tip if I have bags or a carriage and they offer to help. The driver sees when they get a tip but they don’t know who it’s from

This is simply false. Uber and Lyft drivers absolutely know who they get tips from or not, and they rate riders. Their ratings in part reflect whether or not the customer tips. You as a rider have an Uber rating, and Uber drivers will decide on whether or not to take a ride offer in part based on your rating/tipping pattern. I regularly get next-day thank you pop-ups on my phone from the Uber app from drivers reviewing their tips the next day, thanking customers who tip. Tips appears directly next to the ride# - they know. And even if they didn't, it's wrong not to tip in line with the social norms. If you believe drivers don't know who tips thus it's ok not to tip, then that means you believe in other people outside the frum community subsidizing the service you're using and that's a chillul Hashem.

amother
  Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:17 pm
Amother Smokey are you an Uber driver by chance?

bestme  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:18 pm
My friend was once in an Uber and the driver told her that everyone always tips him except for Jewish and Hispanic passengers. Since then I always tip.

amother
  Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
The ratings I assume don’t affect OP since it’s not her Uber account being used, she is using a service that hires the Uber for her.

In this specific case I’d tip cash, though normally you’d rate and tip the driver via the Uber app after each ride

Using a third party to book the ride doesn't take away the social obligation to tip in line with social norms for the ride.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics