Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
A year in Israel for mid to late career professional

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 9:58 am
I had always wanted to make aliyah when my DH and I were just starting out but it was not to be, for various reasons.

It happens I am the main breadwinner and am getting to a point where I am in the latter half of my career.

I am thinking I want to take a Sabbatical from my job and spend several months in Israel learning. I never got to do this when I was younger. I want a chance to also learn Hebrew. If we ever decide to make aliyah when we retire, Hebrew will not be so easy to learn at that age. But I doubt this will happen for reasons below.

When I return to the States I will most likely look for a new position that has a slower pace but I still need to work to contribute to retirement funds and financial support that I expect our DC will need.

My Dh and I have an agreement that he will work in the States when I am in Israel to keep up the health insurances. And we will both visit each other and I will probably also travel back to the States every 3 months anyway.

So with all that said, any ideas for program options that would accommodate and English speaking career woman?

amother
Pewter

Post Yesterday at 10:02 am
Nishmat
Pardes

essie14

Post Yesterday at 10:16 am
I know someone who did this at Eyhat.
https://aish.com/introductory-programs/

Nishmat and Matan also offer programs like this.

amother
Poppy

Post Yesterday at 11:01 am
Just saying, older people can learn languages as well as younger people if they're willing to do the same work.

amother
Magnolia

Post Today at 2:30 am
First figure out what style of learning you want
Nishmat
Neve
Aish
Matan

All are good options and different styles. Do you want cerebral learning or heavy on the spiritual aspect. Do you want inspiration or Gemara learning?

camp123

Post Today at 3:21 am
Shearim
But it all depends what your background is
You may just be happy renting a place in rbs and going to shiurim and ulpan. That way you'll meet more people your own age.

Elfrida

Post Today at 4:05 am
Age wise you'll probably fit in best at Matan. They have English shiurim two days a week, but if you're willing to try Hebrew shiurim you could go there every day. You might gain less from the shiurim, but it would give your Hebrew a jump start. You would have to find your own place to live. If you want to register for their Elul programme (via zoom recordings), it would give you a taste of their teaching style, and you can decide if that is what you want.
https://www.matan.org.il/en/pr.....gram/

Shearim is mostly women in their mid to late twenties, but there are always a few women who are slightly older. They will probably give you the most text based, skills based classes. You can go there full or part time. They don't normally have women older than thirty in the dorms, but would help you find somewhere local to rent. They have an ulpan, but no classes in Hebrew.

Midreshet Rachel is similar, but I don't know them well enough to give details.

Nishmat doesn't have an adult education programme any more, except their on line Beit Midrash. You could join those classes wherever you are. I doubt that you would be able to join their seminary programme, nor their Israeli midrasha programme - and you probably wouldn't want to, anyway.
https://nishmat.net/online-beit-midrash/

Neve has one morning a week where they have shiurim open to the wider community. I don't know if you would fit into their regular classes. You'd have to be in touch with them. Again, the dorm would probably be an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions