Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Work from Home - Need Internet

amother
OP  

Post Today at 3:06 pm
I currently work in an office but have the option to work from home part time, if I had the set-up.

I do not have internet at home (no smartphone either) but I'm considering getting something just for work, and possibly some other random 'errands,' so something with limited use-capabilities or something that can be turned off when not needed.

Does anyone know what options I might consider, where to obtain, and ballpark costs?

Located in Lakewood, if that matters.

TIA!

amother
Phlox  

Post Today at 3:08 pm
Go to fios, optimum, or other Wi-Fi providers websites and put in your address to see if they are able to set up service there

Whatever Wi-Fi you get just unplug the router when not in use so you only have it on when you need it

mha3484

Post Today at 3:09 pm
I have the box from T Mobile. It just plugs in and you get internet. You can unplug it and no more internet. Its great. Also no holes and cables.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 3:12 pm
Thanks!
What is the box from T-Mobile called?

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 3:13 pm
Look at internet dongle,
It's a usb that you put a SIM card in for the internet, it is slower than WiFi so if the main work is off the internet it can be slow, for email etc it's fine.
If you are in a place with bad cell reception it's not going to work...

You just plug it in when needed and remove after.

amother
Tomato

Post Today at 4:49 pm
I know somebody who has a Iphone (think she removed the browser) and uses it as a hotspot. She likes it because it is password protected, and her kids can't access.

Amarante

Post Today at 4:57 pm
Just put a password on your WiFi and keep it to yourself.

That is the simplest in terms of having access.

There are always deals when you sign up and so just call and find out what the cost is for a contract.

amother
  Phlox

Post Today at 5:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
What is the box from T-Mobile called?

She’s talking about a gateway box, which is a combination of router and modem and what most companies use these days

Any box can easily be unplugged from the outlet. Some may also need to be plugged into a phone/cable outlet but it’s still just as simple to turn on and off by unplugging from the regular outlet

I would start with asking your neighbors which provider they use, so you can get an idea of who covers your area well

For me, fios works best in my area and is most cost effective for us
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers