Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Protein
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
  Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:11 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
Now that you mention it, cottage cheese is a very versatile food. Thinking of it as a base. You can make a bowl with fruit on top. You can mix it with ketchup and maybe a bit of pasta. It can go sweet or salty or savory however you wish. And it's very dense, so you don't need a lot to make a serving.

Except that cottage cheese is really the same price as chicken... maybe it's just chalav yisroel but I just checked my grocery and it's $6.49 for 16 ounces.

I think chicken is really the best option as it has SO much protein per ounce. You can't get that much protein from eggs.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:14 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Except that cottage cheese is really the same price as chicken... maybe it's just chalav yisroel but I just checked my grocery and it's $6.49 for 16 ounces.

I think chicken is really the best option as it has SO much protein per ounce. You can't get that much protein from eggs.

Yes chalav Yisroel cottage cheese and yogurt are astronomical

lavendar310

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:25 am
Didn't read whole thread but nuts are a really good source of protein and not cheap but less than chicken etc. And it's only a handful or so per servinf

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:28 am
lavendar310 wrote:
Didn't read whole thread but nuts are a really good source of protein and not cheap but less than chicken etc. And it's only a handful or so per servinf

My RD doesn’t count nuts as a protein

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:31 am
zaq wrote:
Go vegetarian. Combine whole grains with legumes, nuts, or seeds, e.g. beans and rice, risi e bisi (rice and peas) bread and peanut butter, corn and lima beans. Each variety provides certain amino acids, and the combination yields a complete protein. (Soybeans and soy products like tofu and soy milk can stand alone as they provide a complete protein.) A bit of animal protein such as milk, egg, or a few bits of cheese, fish or meat amps up the protein but isn't necessary at every meal.

Search "vegan foods" for lists of food combinations that yield complete proteins. I listed a few but there are many more.
thats so interesting
What's eggplant?

tulip3

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:38 am
lavendar310 wrote:

Its only 4-6 g protein for serving of nuts vs 20-30 g of protein per serving of chicken.

abbie

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:40 am
lentils, beans

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:04 am
Roasted chickpeas is easy and cheap. Can eat plain or top a salad etc

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:56 pm
Dani Spies is really into protein and has lots of interesting recipes. She wrote a cookb ook called Clean and Delicious.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics