Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Protein
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:01 pm
zaq wrote:
Go vegetarian. Combine whole grains with legumes, nuts, or seeds, e.g. beans and rice, risi e bisi (rice and peas) bread and peanut butter, corn and lima beans. Each variety provides certain amino acids, and the combination yields a complete protein. (Soybeans and soy products like tofu and soy milk can stand alone as they provide a complete protein.) A bit of animal protein such as milk, egg, or a few bits of cheese, fish or meat amps up the protein but isn't necessary at every meal.

Search "vegan foods" for lists of food combinations that yield complete proteins. I listed a few but there are many more.

Thanks but I’m not looking to be vegetarian. I would add these ideas to animal product proteins too but not alone

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
This method got me to like tofu. https://www.budgetbytes.com/pa.....coli/

Looks yum I’m gonna try this thanks

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:13 pm
mha3484 wrote:
This method got me to like tofu. https://www.budgetbytes.com/pa.....coli/

Should I be concerned about soy in tofu- I hear soy increases estrogen

amother
Burgundy  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Should I be concerned about soy in tofu- I hear soy increases estrogen

Many plant foods contain hormone like properties but animal foods have actual hormones. Soy milk has phytoestrogens while cows milk contains actual estrogen. Ultimately a variety of foods in moderation shouldn't have you worrying about any of this. Your estrogen levels will not increase to dangerous amounts from cows milk, tofu, or if your husband eats these foods either.

btw phytoestrogens are also in wine, tea, and many other fruits and vegeables including grapes apples onions cabbage etc

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:35 pm
when I was following my dietician, was doing Greek yogurt for breakfast, which counts as a protein (she didn't allow other types of yogurts and the only cheese was cottage cheese). you can do eggs for lunch. and then for supper tuna or chicken, etc. do you need more protein than that?

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:35 pm
also, does she count nuts as protein? my nutritionist didn't

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:38 pm
and yes , add chickpeas to a salad.
I like to make bean tacos. with the spices, the beans aren't too bad

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:44 pm
Sardines

amother
  Strawberry  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:50 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
when I was following my dietician, was doing Greek yogurt for breakfast, which counts as a protein (she didn't allow other types of yogurts and the only cheese was cottage cheese). you can do eggs for lunch. and then for supper tuna or chicken, etc. do you need more protein than that?

Now that you mention it, cottage cheese is a very versatile food. Thinking of it as a base. You can make a bowl with fruit on top. You can mix it with ketchup and maybe a bit of pasta. It can go sweet or salty or savory however you wish. And it's very dense, so you don't need a lot to make a serving.

amother
  Strawberry

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:51 pm
Just remembered, chickpea pasta! Find one which is made of 100% chickpea flour. Looks and tastes like pasta. Exact nutritional profile of chickpeas.

tulip3  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:55 pm
Chickpeas, nuts and seeds aren't enough protein, they are nice add ons to bump up protein but not your main source. Google the breakdown of carbs and fats and protein.

For tofu -eat the organic ones that have zero added ingredients and aren't processed. Eat once in a while.

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:59 pm
You can try sardines, textured vegetable protein add it to your soup salad or vegetables, fat free cheese slices are basically all protein, scoop of protein powder to yoghurt or oatmeal, protein bar, high protein cereal, compare bread brands and choose the one with more protein, deli slices or parave deli slices, quacamole cups and mash in chickpeas.

What foods do you like and we can give you better ideas to add in a protein source that works?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:59 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

I don’t want the same thing every day…

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:00 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
also, does she count nuts as protein? my nutritionist didn't

No nuts are not counted for protein

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:02 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
You can try sardines, textured vegetable protein add it to your soup salad or vegetables, fat free cheese slices are basically all protein, scoop of protein powder to yoghurt or oatmeal, protein bar, high protein cereal, compare bread brands and choose the one with more protein, deli slices or parave deli slices, quacamole cups and mash in chickpeas.

What foods do you like and we can give you better ideas to add in a protein source that works?

Why do you say fat free cheese slices, is full fat cheese less protein? 🤔

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:03 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:

Thanks. Is there a good kosher tasteless protein powder that doesn’t change taste or texture?

tichellady  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:11 pm
Cottage cheese pancakes
Smoothies with protein powder and or pasteurized egg whites
Chia pudding made with cashews, dates and chia
Oat bran cereal - can be served hot like oatmeal or used in baked goods
Edamame

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:52 pm
Protein powder smoothies

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:53 pm
zigi wrote:
Protein powder smoothies

What powder is tasteless?

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 7:41 pm
Do you like tahini?

No protein powder is tasteless in my opinon. My husband and kids like the organic vegan natural unsweetened.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics