Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! My 5 year old takes FOREVER to fall asleep

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 5:25 am
My almost 5 year old takes about 2 hours to fall asleep every night. He lies there from 830-1030/11 before he’s finally sleeping. I also need to be in the room with him and lie down with him
Any advice besides melatonin? Thank you

fradiefraysie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:29 am
That sounds so hard but I cannot believe you stay in the room for two hours - that is a huge imposition on you and probably not helping him learn to go to sleep. What happens if you leave?

I wonder if he’s over tired. My five year olds were asleep by 7.30. Have you tried an earlier bedtime in case that works?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:47 am
fradiefraysie wrote:
That sounds so hard but I cannot believe you stay in the room for two hours - that is a huge imposition on you and probably not helping him learn to go to sleep. What happens if you leave?

I wonder if he’s over tired. My five year olds were asleep by 7.30. Have you tried an earlier bedtime in case that works?

I go in and out of the room, he gets annoyed when I leave but I tell him I’m coming right back. I’ll put in a load of laundry quickly and then go back. I’ve tried doing bedtime at 8, it didn’t help.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:49 am
You're likely missing his sleep window.
From 6:30 start paying attention if there are a few minutes when he looks a little less alert, goes off by himself to curl up in a corner, doesn't want to talk etc. Try and have him in bed by that time. If you miss those few minutes, he will get his second wind and be up until 11ish.
It's a sign of a very strong biological clock.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:51 am
amother Honey wrote:
You're likely missing his sleep window.
From 6:30 start paying attention if there are a few minutes when he looks a little less alert, goes off by himself to curl up in a corner, doesn't want to talk etc. Try and have him in bed by that time. If you miss those few minutes, he will get his second wind and be up until 11ish.
It's a sign of a very strong biological clock.

That’s so interesting, because my 3 year old usually falls asleep within a half hour. I will try a little earlier tonight

Sewsew_mom  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 6:56 am
I have this issue when u miss her window. She needs to be in bed by 7. If it's after 7:30 I lose my whole night.
And I find she sleeps later when she goes to bed earlier.
Also dark shades and sound machine.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 7:52 am
Does he have screen time the 2 hours before bed? What I’ve done is told such kids to pick a toy each night, take it to their bed, tell them they don’t need to fall asleep they should just play. When they focus less on trying to sleep and just relax and play they often fall asleep. Going in is probably making it worse, you need to try to avoid that.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 7:57 am
So many possible causes for insomnia. Diet and gut health are from the biggest ones, because most neurotransmitters are made in the gut.
Inflammation is a another biggie.
Other options besides melatonin:
Sleepy from bioray
L theanine, gaba and 5htp
Cbd oil
Magnesium footsoak or magnesium lotion
Magnesium oral throughout the day
Lemon balm

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:19 am
Stop going in. This is a much overdue sleep training issue. Have you been laying with him since birth?

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:03 am
Sounds like some bad habits were started. Give him a book or 2 and let him read till he falls asleep.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:17 am
You read a book
Say Shma

You leave the room

He stays in bed, without talking to you or coming out, until the morning

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:29 am
Just validating that my 5 year old is the same, except I don't stay in the room. I put on a 2 hour audio story and I think he's sleeping.. and 2 hours later he pops out, the story is over, can I have another one LOL
I don't go crazy. If he's up, he's up.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:34 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
You read a book
Say Shma

You leave the room

He stays in bed, without talking to you or coming out, until the morning

Sounds like such great advice.
But I want to say... This doesn't work.
Your child obviously doesn't have sleeping issues.
When I leave the room my daughter will stay up until after 10:30/11 by keeping herself awake. Shes bombed tired. She doesn't care. My husband put her to sleep for 3 years. She got into a really bad sleeping habit and I was so sure I can get her out of it. Turns out.. I wasn't as successful as I talked myself out to be.
I sing shema. I schmooze for 5 mnts and I lay with her for 5 mnts. Than I leave. She stays up until she falls off her face.

When I stay inside the room she tends to fall asleep faster but I really wanted to avoid that.
But what's so important is that she goes into bed by 7.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:39 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Just validating that my 5 year old is the same, except I don't stay in the room. I put on a 2 hour audio story and I think he's sleeping.. and 2 hours later he pops out, the story is over, can I have another one LOL
I don't go crazy. If he's up, he's up.

He's most likely too invested & interested in the story to be able to relax & fall asleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics