Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dd12 is refusing to buy new uniforms
Previous  1  2

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Who cares what the neighbors think about you?
I care. I want my child to look neat and put together. For myself, and for others. She struggles enough as it is, she doesn't need to look "off" on top of everything. Is that so bad?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put in an adjustable elastic at the dressmaker. Keep it in the closet. Maybe sukkos time she'll change her mind.
I'll do that. Thanks.

amother
  Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I care. I want my child to look neat and put together. For myself, and for others. She struggles enough as it is, she doesn't need to look "off" on top of everything. Is that so bad?

It’s causing a strain in your relationship, so yes. Let it go.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:57 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
It’s causing a strain in your relationship, so yes. Let it go.
Projection much?

amother
Zinnia  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:10 pm
Is it possible this skirt can somehow not make it out of the wash right away?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Is it possible this skirt can somehow not make it out of the wash right away?
That's an idea. She has 2 and wears each one a few times before they get washed so I'd has to work it out well. She's also the type to go looking for it in the hamper ... but once I think I'll take the new one to put in an elastic like ra mom suggested and then I'll somehow make the old ones disappear.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:17 pm
I’d adjust the new skirt more so it’s less big. And I’d make this skirt disappear. Or you can cut it and say it got ripped in the washing machine or something. She’ll have to move past this. I have a chunky kid too and she loves her outgrown clothing. But I can’t in good conscience let her walk around like that at this age, girls this age can see that she looks bad and they don’t always deal well with it. She might not understand that yet but I’m still going to do what’s best for her. I make things disappear. And once it’s gone she gets used to the new things and moves on.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:26 pm
Moving in the button is not good
Maybe it makes the waist not sag but it does not take away the extra fabric.
Extra fabric adds bulk that she does not need.
Mom did it all the time and it never looked right and I wasn’t plus sized
When I was in high school and she bought me the bigger size I took it myself to the cleaners seamstress and they took it in properly and the look was soooo much better. I actually had classmates ask if I lost weight over the summer.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Moving in the button is not good
Maybe it makes the waist not sag but it does not take away the extra fabric.
Extra fabric adds bulk that she does not need.
Mom did it all the time and it never looked right and I wasn’t plus sized
When I was in high school and she bought me the bigger size I took it myself to the cleaners seamstress and they took it in properly and the look was soooo much better. I actually had classmates ask if I lost weight over the summer.
The extra fabric is only at the waist, everywhere else she needs the width. But it may be possible to take it in a bit more professionally. I'll definitely take it to a seamstress and see what they say

amother
  Zinnia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:37 pm
Also, is there anywhere you can find the same patterned uniform without the pleats sewn down at the top?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Also, is there anywhere you can find the same patterned uniform without the pleats sewn down at the top?
I wish but I don't think any other company makes this plaid.

I offered to get her custom skirts but she said everyone could tell they look different and she didn't want.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:42 pm
Side point, why are uniforms so unflattering? I feel so bad for anyone who’s not super thin. I wish schools would actually take that into account.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Green wrote:
Side point, why are uniforms so unflattering? I feel so bad for anyone who’s not super thin. I wish schools would actually take that into account.
I know!!

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know!!

Funny I think my plus sized hi schooler really rocked the uniform with the sewn down pleats.

I guess it depends on the figure,

amother
  Amber

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:29 pm
I actually gave away my daughter’s old uniforms over the summer. I got her new ones and put in darts at the waist and had it hemmed. She has the space she needs at the hips but it’s ok everywhere else… not flattering but neat. she would’ve worn her old uniforms but they’re gone…

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:07 pm
amother Amber wrote:
I actually gave away my daughter’s old uniforms over the summer. I got her new ones and put in darts at the waist and had it hemmed. She has the space she needs at the hips but it’s ok everywhere else… not flattering but neat. she would’ve worn her old uniforms but they’re gone…
This is what I should have done. But I was hoping against hope they would still fit her this year. There was room at the end of last year. And the length would be fine if she didn't need to wear it so high up. Oh well. I need to start getting much, much smarter.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Green wrote:

Came here to post this. Whyyyy? Uniforms don’t MUST be ugly! I suffered so much as a plus sized kid with a super unflattering uniform.
Funnily enough, I now have the opposite problem with my kid… she’s so skinny and the uniform elastic is pulled to the tightest making it all bunched in the back… she wears a sweater cuz she doesn’t like that everything is hanging on her…
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics