Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Do you travel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:16 pm
And do you have more than one child with same or different allergies?
I have multiple with allergies (different from each other) and find it impossible to travel.
Finding food wherever we go is a stressor. Going to friends for shabbos is stressful because I bring food for my allergy kids. My other kids want to travel but I find it difficult because of the allergies

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:12 am
Depending on the allergy type (food based or environmental triggers), these are options

Are the allergies manageable via meds?

Can you travel to say, Arizona?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:24 am
Only for up to 2-3 days and with access to a kitchen (preferably to family, and we still bring our own food for the allergic child). Her particular set of allergies (some pretty rare ones) mean absolutely no restaurant is safe so I have to bring every single meal.

The only place we go for longer is to my parents where I can cook for him safely on demand.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:47 am
I had 3 kids with food allergies (bh 2 outgrew them) with a whole range of foods they combined couldn't have.
No dairy, nuts, peanuts, eggs, garlic, apples, etc

Other than my parents who were really good and cooked special for my kids (and sometimes my inlaws), I always brought my own food for them. If we were invited for a shabbos meal, I always said only if we can bring our own food for the kids.

BH we are down to only no dairy, nuts and peanuts (and cross contamination with chocolate made in a nut facility). So going away became much easier.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:16 pm
Yes, we just don't eat out a lot. We anyway wouldn't because of budget. I always kasher the kitchen and cook wherever we go. Some food I bring, some I buy there.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:03 pm
We travel. I either cook and freeze or prep frozen raw food to cook there. Yes, we never go anywhere without a food plan. We turn down invites for shabbos and yt all the time because my family's food needs are way too complex.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics