Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Always drinking water…

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:30 pm
Ok I’m not sure how nervous I should get. My 18 month old has always loved drinking water from when it was introduced with real food. I was thrilled with it when he was younger because I know some babies struggle to transition to water as needed, and we live in a warm climate so less worry about dehydration.

As he’s been getting older, it has continued. He sincerely enjoys water and ice cubes and using all different kinds of cups and straws and water bottles to drink with. He also has very full wet diapers. Over shabbos I suddenly got nervous, could this possibly be a symptom of diabetes?? He otherwise is a typically growing, happy, and healthy toddler. I think because he has always been like this I didn’t think much of it, but now I’m wondering if it was always an issue!

For those with experience, does this sound concerning? Do I need to call a doctor? And if you think so do I need to rush it or can I wait a few weeks (really hard to schedule now with work and the beginning of the school year).

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:32 pm
Does not sound concerning. It’s sounds like his baseline

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Does not sound concerning. It’s sounds like his baseline

Ok thanks!!! that’s what I thought initially also, but then my brain started on “well, what if it was an issue for months and months and I missed it!”

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:39 pm
Any other concerning symptoms? Does his breath smell fruity or sweet? Does he get tired randomly? Is he constantly leaking through diapers during the day? I wouldn’t jump to diabetes with regular thirst and normal but full wet diapers.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:58 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Any other concerning symptoms? Does his breath smell fruity or sweet? Does he get tired randomly? Is he constantly leaking through diapers during the day? I wouldn’t jump to diabetes with regular thirst and normal but full wet diapers.

No other symptoms bH, typical breath, one solid nap a day and no particular tiredness otherwise. Just loves to drink constantly and very full diapers, if I’m not on top of changing then he does leak. It’s definitely more than regular thirst compared to my other kids…

I do see that he wants to drink more in specific cups. Meaning, he’s not drinking from his sippy cup constantly, as much as asking for water in my cup, or in a fun straw cup, or in a small kiddush cup, etc. There definitely is a game aspect to it also, but it is a lot of water! We don’t have sweet drinks in my house, but I’m assuming this isn’t water specific, he would probably do it with juices also (he gets very excited about grape juice on shabbos).

amother
Ebony  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:01 pm
Not saying he has this, but something to keep in mind is diabetes insidipidus, now knows as vassopressin deficiency. It has nothing to do with blood sugar, and the primary symptoms are excessive thirst and excessive urination, usually dilute.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Not saying he has this, but something to keep in mind is diabetes insidipidus, now knows as vassopressin deficiency. It has nothing to do with blood sugar, and the primary symptoms are excessive thirst and excessive urination, usually dilute.

Ok from my quick googling the symptoms obviously line up, but it said usually sudden onset? I think that’s what is throwing me off. There was no onset, it was always lol

amother
  Ebony

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok from my quick googling the symptoms obviously line up, but it said usually sudden onset? I think that’s what is throwing me off. There was no onset, it was always lol
I'm not an expert but I've heard of kids born with this
It can be partial as well, meaning not full blown.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:14 pm
I’d definitely mention it to the pediatrician. Probably best to rule out possible issues. It’s likely nothing but I’d still check.

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:24 pm
I agree that I need to speak to the pediatrician. Trying to decide if this is something time sensitive or not. Any thoughts?

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:25 pm
My son is like that too and I was worried so I mentioned it to his doctor recently. They finger-pricked him and bh all was good. He just gets hot and thirsty quickly.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 11:15 pm
Once in a while my 2.5 year old wakes up with fruity breath. Do I need to be worried?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics