Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
A letter to the upcoming year morah
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
But you don't tell the parents about it a week before school starts. This seems more like a "hey! Let's add another fee so we can make more money!"

Don't get me started on all the fees. Can you imagine if you order a kitchen and then a few days before installation the company reaches out and informs you that there is an installation fee of $$$. And then doesn't stop there. The next day it's a fee for hinges, then another fee for shelves support, then another fee for this and that and that and this.

That's what our schools do to us. First there is the tuition fees, then there's registration fees, then transportation fees, followed by insurance fees, arts and crafts fees, extra curricular fees, book fees, library fees, nit checking fees etc....

And then to add insult to injury, the kids come home from school on the first day with requests to send in more $$$ so that the teacher can buy some outlandish school supplies that the kids will likely use 3-5 times at best.

Then comes YT, so there's a lull in requests for money. But once school swings back into action, the requests start right up again. Melava malkah fees, chanukah treats, tips for teachers, purim gifts, , Shabbaton, school trips and so on....

meirah1

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok I will clarify I just didn’t want to give the morah away because I really heard great things about her and I hope if my child was bullied she would step in
I think a morah has a right to take registration fees/ deposits because ppl would be pulling out right and left so yes I understand that
But why for the people that are sending and kept their slot how come that 250 is not being deducted from tuition ???? Give me a reason why I’m paying 650 a month
Plus 250 for lunch and snack
Every month I need to send in diapers and wipes
I need to send tissues
I need to buy special cups for the kids
Ok so now please someone explain why the 250 that I gave in October is not being deducted from my first month tuition
Her classroom is set up for the past few years so she doesn’t need new tables and chairs
I’m paying for lunch and snack
And I can promise u the arts and crafts will not be costing more than 100 dollars
It’s ok to pocket some money this is your business
But that 250, where does that go???
No disrespect I clearly wrote these morahs are great and I definitely cannot be a morah so yes I will pay to send to playgroup but this 250 really got to me

its every parents job to look into the morah as well as all the fees she has...I have a few children and Ive never had more than $100 regis fee. I almost always sent in my own lunch so no fees for that. Its your choice to send. not going to disagree that some morahs take advantage but you cant complain unless it was just thrown on you right before school

amother
  Trillium

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:45 pm
meirah1 wrote:
its every parents job to look into the morah as well as all the fees she has...I have a few children and Ive never had more than $100 regis fee. I almost always sent in my own lunch so no fees for that. Its your choice to send. not going to disagree that some morahs take advantage but you cant complain unless it was just thrown on you right before school

It literally was.

I signed up months ago. They told us tuition is 650/ month.

Okay, kind of steep imo, but a bird in the hand is worth a lot.

Now, months later - read: last week - we got a letter. 650/ month. Plus 150 registration. Plus a snack fee.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 4:51 am
amother Linen wrote:
I don't understand the fuss. Doesn't every yeshiva and school charge a registration fee?

And for that matter my sons little league has registration fee. My daughters ballet has a registration fee. I'm pretty sure my daughters summer program in Israel has a registration fee.

I'd imagine 90% of playgroups charge registration fees.

This, I’m so confused about the complaints. Every school, playgroup, camp and after school activity has a registration fee. It’s really standard.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:37 am
amother Peru wrote:
This, I’m so confused about the complaints. Every school, playgroup, camp and after school activity has a registration fee. It’s really standard.

Having it last minute after a parent already registered is a valid complaint. All fees should be discussed up front in writing.

amother
  Catmint

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:28 am
There are 2 different complaints on this thread. One is that tuition is high and then there are all these extra fees, and the other is that the tuition amount and fees are added/ changed last minute. The first I don’t fully agree with having been a morah myself. It’s a lot more work than people realize. But the second complaint is completely valid and unfair. The tuition and fees should be disclosed when parents sign up.

amother
  Brass

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 8:39 am
amother Catmint wrote:
There are 2 different complaints on this thread. One is that tuition is high and then there are all these extra fees, and the other is that the tuition amount and fees are added/ changed last minute. The first I don’t fully agree with having been a morah myself. It’s a lot more work than people realize. But the second complaint is completely valid and unfair. The tuition and fees should be disclosed when parents sign up.

It's all one issue that manifests in different ways. It's that many morahs think they can do whatever they want and they have zero accountability or transparency and the parents are forced to swallow it because they have no choice.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:02 am
OP, idk why you keep asking where your $250 is going… the teacher obviously cheshboned it in to her annnual income. It’s going the same places your tuition is going, it’s just another way for her to get money from you. Schools dot end same thing with “dinner fee” “building fee” etc in addition to tuition. It’s just another way to tack on money.

Also, $250 sounds low. In Monsey it’s $500 registration fee plus at least $800 monthly tuition. For 9:15-2:45.

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:12 am
I never charged registration fee for my playgroup. Just one monthly charge.

I also didn't force anyone to send to me. If you chose to send, you choose to pay. Playgroup is a choice the mother makes.

I do agree all these additional fees are out of hand, and not fair for the parents.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries