Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
A letter to the upcoming year morah
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:24 pm
Dear 2025 morah,
I’m so excited for the first day of playgroup
I can’t wait for my yummy child to meet all the other kids and make a lot of friends
I can’t wait for my child to come home with stories of how the day went
I did all my research and I’m very happy I made it into your class !!!!
My one issue, my only one small issue,
U took my hard earned $250 to have my child registered and that’s fine, I understand morahs need to take deposits because people can back out and that’s not so fair I totally understand.
But please explain why that registration fee is not being deducted from my first month tuition fee?
For 250 dollars what did u do with that money from so many parents when we gave that to u in October of last year
And I understand u need to charge a lunch fee
But the 250 that I gave so many months ago can’t go towards that?
I’m living on one paycheck with more than one child
This month is costing me almost $1000 to send one child out for not such a long day
I’m so happy we’re in, and my child is gonna love it imyh.
But I won’t lie, I cried a few tears at the bank pulling out so much money (cash only of course)
Where are mothers supposed to get this crazy amount of money?
If u don’t want to put the registration fee towards tuition then maybe ask if parents for 50 dollars
Morahs, if u can please kindly give us some reason of why this is like this that would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I’m the crazy one

amother
Trillium  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:32 pm
Agreed!

Our morah charged $150 registration fee. But they only asked for it last week. I don't get it!!!

And of course, there's nothing we can do. We aren't going to go try to find another morah just because of the registration fee. But it's really not okay.

UQT

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:34 pm
A morah once told me the registration fee is used for projects and supplies. I’m assuming your kid will be coming home with a framed canvas painting weekly. $250 is steep!

amother
  Trillium  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:38 pm
UQT wrote:
A morah once told me the registration fee is used for projects and supplies. I’m assuming your kid will be coming home with a framed canvas painting weekly. $250 is steep!

So what's the tuition for?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:39 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
So what's the tuition for?

For rent, food, and the Morahs clothes

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:54 pm
Registration fees are usually to secure a spot to make sure you're serious about sending.
Most formal institutions apply all or most of it toward tuition.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:58 pm
That, along with the tuition amount that we only found out about last week…along with starting three days later than girls schools…

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:24 am
And my neighbor is sending to a morah that is charges a separate fee to send on fridays! aside for her standard monthly tuition there is a $70 monthly fee if you'd like to send on Fridays.

I ONCE had a morah who said she uses the full registration fee to buy new toys, a printer, a changing table etc. but that was only one morah and most of them I know don't do that.

amother
Catmint  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:37 am
I was a morah last year and didn’t charge a registration fee, but honestly, I should have and if I do it again in the future I will. I laid out almost $1000 from my own pocket to pay for shelves, toys, books, supplies….
And to the person asking what’s tuition for, it’s for rent, cleaning lady, the morahs salary... You can’t be expecting her to work for free.

amother
  Catmint  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:39 am
I do think $250 is steep, but depending on how many kids you take, some registration fee makes complete sense.

amother
Brass  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:48 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Registration fees are usually to secure a spot to make sure you're serious about sending.
Most formal institutions apply all or most of it toward tuition.

Yes, but that doesn't make sense for it to be collected three days before the school year starts. The morah is not giving up your child's slot now and you both know it.

amother
  Trillium  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 1:06 am
amother Brass wrote:
Yes, but that doesn't make sense for it to be collected three days before the school year starts. The morah is not giving up your child's slot now and you both know it.

And it isn't applied towards tuition.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:53 am
I backed out of a morah when I saw her registration fee was 250. that is absolutely taking advantage. all morahs I’ve ever sent to registration was 100. the morah wasn’t giving a price yet for tuition she said closer to school she will give price. but when I saw price of registration which was craziest price I ever saw I backed out cuz I figured tht was just a microcosm of what was to come. what is the monthly tuition your morah is asking for ?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:12 am
amother Catmint wrote:
I was a morah last year and didn’t charge a registration fee, but honestly, I should have and if I do it again in the future I will. I laid out almost $1000 from my own pocket to pay for shelves, toys, books, supplies….
And to the person asking what’s tuition for, it’s for rent, cleaning lady, the morahs salary... You can’t be expecting her to work for free.

All small businesses have overhead.

wanttobehappy

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:43 am
No now is arguing a Morah shouldn’t get paid.. why isn’t there one price. It isn’t industry standard for it not to go towards first months tuition. Yes u need new toys that is ur business investment why do we have an extra charge just NO

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:48 am
wanttobehappy wrote:
No now is arguing a Morah shouldn’t get paid.. why isn’t there one price. It isn’t industry standard for it not to go towards first months tuition. Yes u need new toys that is ur business investment why do we have an extra charge just NO

THIS!!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:03 am
Because playgroup Morahs do whatever they want and we are still dependent on them so we cannot refuse.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:29 am
My daughter's Morah took the last months tuition as a deposit. So I paid 2 months tuition at once but I know I won't have to pay the last month

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:53 am
Thnx for the reply’s
For sure a morah needs to get paid they work hard and care for our little ones and they need to get paid for rent and their food and their clothing etc plus they still need to have x amount of money to get their playgroup going.
I don’t think the issue is the actually tuition amount (650 a month)
It’s the fact that my 250 to have my sons name written down for her class is just 250 for that and now it doesn’t go towards anything
I wish I had a money tree in my backyard I just don’t at the moment so yes 250 for me is a lot a lot a lot of money
Plus 250 for snack and lunch
If u have 24 kids in your group I think that registration fee could’ve gone towards tuition
I would’ve backed out if I knew when I had to register because to me that’s throwing out 250
Dollars.
Also it doesn’t seem to be that he’ll be coming home with lavish projects
Probably just the norm for yom tov etc nothing fancy
Hate to feel taken advantage of
I already work 9-4 what else can I do

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:05 am
I had for the first time a $100 “fee” instead of a “deposit” this year. Normally it’s always gone towards first month tuition but not this time, which honestly I’m okay with because I know the morah spends waaay too much money on new toys and crazy projects, activities, etc

But in a regular playgroup with not a lot of extra effort (same toys as previous years, regular inexpensive projects) I do not think that’s okay. If any of that registration money is being pocketed as profit I think it’s stealing
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries