Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is something wrong with me?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 5:56 pm
I never shop early for things. I wait and then buy on sale. I usually still find matching. If not, I buy only what there is.

I don't get the shopping early. You don't really need winter in aug/sept. Maybe by succos. But right after everything goes on sale.

My kids manage with stuff in the closet.
Anyways, there's always newer stuff. And old styles become nerdy. So what's this rush to buy?

I also don't understand some of the new styles. Do people by it cuz it's in, or they actually like it?

I have a hard time finding the current arrivals nice, especially shabbos stuff. Cheap fabrics, weird styles, and prints that I can't look at more than once.

Maybe there's something very wrong with me.

amother
Orchid  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 5:58 pm
Theres nothing wrong with you, you just have different priorities and there is nothing wrong with either one.

Molly Weasley

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 5:59 pm
There's nothing wrong with you!
Enjoy the sales!

giftedmom  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:11 pm
There’s nothing wrong except you probably have only little kids that grow very predictably. Let’s talk in a couple years.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:15 pm
I’m with you and I have an engaged DD and one in shidduchim.
They do not live home. My girls have already asked if we can go shopping thanksgiving weekend when Junee’s is 40% off.

*I don’t live in Lakewood.

giftedmom  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
I’m with you and I have an engaged DD and one in shidduchim.
They do not live home. My girls have already asked if we can go shopping thanksgiving weekend when Junee’s is 40% off.

*I don’t live in Lakewood.

*and they probably already stopped growing

amother
Nemesia  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:19 pm
Nothing is wrong with you and I don't think you think anything is either. I think you are (not so subtle) trying to put down people who do different than you.

These shopping and fashion threads are exhausting already..

NewStart

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:20 pm
Nothing wrong with that but I like things ready in advance. It takes the pressure off of my schedule.

amother
Red  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:40 pm
I never knew about this shopping thing at this time of year until my kids started getting older. Buying clothes was literally not even an errand on my list of things to do this time of year (and before pesach). I didn’t grow up like that.
Im embarrassed that my kids looked socially off when they were little. I just didn’t know that dressing kids in new clothing each season was a thing.
I learned very slowly. Even though I don’t agree, I also don’t want my kids to stand out in a community where appearance matters.
Now my kids are teens and getting new things is very important. One of my girls is extremely thin and on the shorter side so she has a very hard time finding clothing. She wouldn’t have anything new if we wouldn’t be combing the stores now when the new things come in. Sometimes we find something she likes but the size she needs is long gone. So we have to shop when the new things come out.
When I wanted to match my kids when they were little, I couldn’t find the sizes if I waited for sales. Forget the sales. I couldn’t even find matching sizes if I shopped after Rosh hashana.
Obviously I live in an area where appearance is important. I don’t agree with it so you will never find me buying anything just because it’s a name brand. I literally feel bad for people who dress their kids with name brands splashed across their clothes. It’s so sad that this is what makes them feel good about themselves.
I like the neat, clean and current style look without showing off.
I wish all this gashmius would just go away.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:48 pm
You're a breath of fresh air, OP. Don't ever change.

amother
Ballota  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:02 pm
So when do you shop for Sukkas?
I’m not sure I understand your post. I shop early because I don’t want to be busy running to jam packed stores a few days before yom tov. My closet is full bh and I plan to spend the weeks before yom tov calmly cooking and decorating the sukka.

My kids’ stuff from the closet at this point are paper thin, above their knees and just not fresh looking anymore. Sure I could get away with wearing them in a pinch, but I don’t see a reason to.

Also, the fact that you don’t like the styles probably indicates that you don’t have much fashion sense. I love clothes and every year I find cute stuff. There’s so much variety out there in the frum market kah. I found a gorgeous velvet robe for myself, and absolutely adorable dresses for my girls. I think the fact that you can’t find a single cute item out of the hundreds out there is just a you problem.

amother
Zinnia  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:07 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
So when do you shop for Sukkas?
I’m not sure I understand your post. I shop early because I don’t want to be busy running to jam packed stores a few days before yom tov. My closet is full bh and I plan to spend the weeks before yom tov calmly cooking and decorating the sukka.

Also, the fact that you don’t like the styles probably indicates that you don’t have much fashion sense. I love clothes and every year I find cute stuff. There’s so much variety out there in the frum market kah. I found a gorgeous velvet robe for myself, and absolutely adorable dresses for my girls. I think the fact that you can’t find a single cure item out of the hundreds out there is just a you problem.

Not true, op I have a very good fashion sense and I’m very stylish and I only like a handful of Jewish companies. I find a lot of them drab and boring, no personality at all
I shop some Jewish and a lot online and find beautiful European things that actually look like kids clothes instead of black brown or gray. Dw you’re more than good

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I never shop early for things. I wait and then buy on sale. I usually still find matching. If not, I buy only what there is.

I don't get the shopping early. You don't really need winter in aug/sept. Maybe by succos. But right after everything goes on sale.

My kids manage with stuff in the closet.
Anyways, there's always newer stuff. And old styles become nerdy. So what's this rush to buy?

I also don't understand some of the new styles. Do people by it cuz it's in, or they actually like it?

I have a hard time finding the current arrivals nice, especially shabbos stuff. Cheap fabrics, weird styles, and prints that I can't look at more than once.

Maybe there's something very wrong with me.

To me, not buying clothing when you have clothing, and buying clothing on sale, is plain common sense.

amother
  Ballota  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:10 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Not true, op I have a very good fashion sense and I’m very stylish and I only like a handful of Jewish companies. I find a lot of them drab and boring, no personality at all
I shop some Jewish and a lot online and find beautiful European things that actually look like kids clothes instead of black brown or gray. Dw you’re more than good

Not a single thing that I bought this year are brown or gray or drab. I walked into Klade just today and the store is overwhelmingly colorful.

amother
  Zinnia

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Not a single thing that I bought this year are brown or gray or drab. I walked into Klade just today and the store is overwhelmingly colorful.

Color from Jewish companies or non Jewish? I’ve barely seen color from frum brands the year but maybe I’ve missed it

amother
  Ballota

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:39 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Color from Jewish companies or non Jewish? I’ve barely seen color from frum brands the year but maybe I’ve missed it

I didn’t pay attention. But where did the op indicate that she’s talking about Jewish brands?

amother
Hyacinth  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:44 pm
What’s the goal here? To say you are better than others? Why can’t you do you and not post putting others down? Maybe I’m the one missing something here.

amother
  Hyacinth

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:

Those colors are very not in. So I guess you didn’t check out the stores and see the very bright colors of this season.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:58 pm
op your post seems a bit tactless, why the need to make all the new arrivals seem like cheap fabric and weird styles when all I've seen were beautiful clothes. It may be a rude comment to some hard working designers out there (such as myself).
Either way you seem proud of your choice and it seems to be working well for you so I don't get this post at all.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:09 pm
Sounds like humble bragging to me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics