Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
My son is getting a chick

happyness  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:13 pm
So my nine year old son is getting a chick. What do I need aside from the coop, starter, and heat light? What can I buy to put down on the ground for them to poop on?

unknown2

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:16 pm
I would suggest changing the subject as it comes off way different then the question your asking

Olive

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:19 pm
The thing to put the food in & water feeder. Buy wood chip bedding. Tractor Supply is the perfect store to get all of this.

eduardo

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:22 pm
unknown2 wrote:
I would suggest changing the subject as it comes off way different then the question your asking

I doubt anyone is thinking that as that’s not a way people would phrase it

OP you can pm me, I recently got chicks and am happy to share tips, but I don’t want to give out identifying details

Cheiny

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:35 pm
happyness wrote:
So my nine year old son is getting a chick.

What’s her name? LOL

Vera

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:58 pm
unknown2 wrote:

Lol my first thought as well;) but I would love to know more on raising chickens

ahuva96

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:02 pm
Vera wrote:
Lol my first thought as well;) but I would love to know more on raising chickens

Haaa I was like what?

avigail

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:04 pm
We have chickens..ask the people at tractor supply or whenever you buy your chicken and supplies what you need, and tips. They were very helpful.
Make sure your neighbors are ok with it or you have a very big yard (no neighbors nearby)
You are buying 1? I didn't think you can..they told us chicken do better together . We had to buy 4.

Shmaichel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:17 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nUV3xYn2mU4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzmg_Ug56z4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjkpIQT0f4

Homegrown Kosher has chickens and recently got chicks and gives great advice!

happyness  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:49 pm
Eduardo, I’ll pm you, thanks for the offer.

So we looked at mcmurray hatchery so far. All the bantam chickens are sold out! I hear tractor supply does not sell bantam chicks, and those are supposed to be the cutest and smallest.

happyness  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:51 pm
Olive wrote:
The thing to put the food in & water feeder. Buy wood chip bedding. Tractor Supply is the perfect store to get all of this.

Awesome. I’ll look these up on Amazon

happyness  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:54 pm
avigail wrote:
We have chickens..ask the people at tractor supply or whenever you buy your chicken and supplies what you need, and tips. They were very helpful.
Make sure your neighbors are ok with it or you have a very big yard (no neighbors nearby)
You are buying 1? I didn't think you can..they told us chicken do better together . We had to buy 4.

Right, we were told best to buy a few. I’d like to stick to a smaller number…

amother
Apple  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:06 pm
Experienced chicken owner here Hi Please don't get 1 chick. Chickens are flock animals and do well in groups. It would get depressed and possibly sick. AT LEAST 2. If you have a rooster, you need at least 4 hens, so make sure you're getting pullets. Also, keep in mind that not all chickens are necessarily kosher so double check, if you plan on using the eggs. Chicks grow into adults FAST. What's your setup like? How much space do you have? Do you know about predator proofing? Honestly, there is so much you are going to need to learn. http://backyardchickens.com is a fantastic forum.

happyness

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:17 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Experienced chicken owner here Hi Please don't get 1 chick. Chickens are flock animals and do well in groups. It would get depressed and possibly sick. AT LEAST 2. If you have a rooster, you need at least 4 hens, so make sure you're getting pullets. Also, keep in mind that not all chickens are necessarily kosher so double check, if you plan on using the eggs. Chicks grow into adults FAST. What's your setup like? How much space do you have? Do you know about predator proofing? Honestly, there is so much you are going to need to learn. http://backyardchickens.com is a fantastic forum.

Thanks for all that info!
We’re aiming for four. We’re not looking for kosher as much as the experience for the children. We’ve got a pretty decent set up and ordered a good coop. Thanks for the link!

amother
  Apple

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:58 pm
happyness wrote:
Thanks for all that info!
We’re aiming for four. We’re not looking for kosher as much as the experience for the children. We’ve got a pretty decent set up and ordered a good coop. Thanks for the link!

My pleasure:) I still think ensuring they are kosher is a good idea. With four hens, pretty soon you'll be getting up to 4 eggs a day. What do you plan on doing with all of that? And collecting eggs is the most exciting part of chicken keeping!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:12 am
You need a run unless you’re free ranging.
More likely to be eaten by predators if free ranging.
Heating lamp only in the beginning. Later, when they’re old enough, no heating. They need to get used to the cold otherwise they can die.
Eggs is for sure the excitement. Chickens don’t cuddle well.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:25 am
I had no idea some chickens aren't kosher ! What type is kosher ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets