Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
The expense of frum clothing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you feel like frum basic clothes are too expensive?
No  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes - America  
 84%  [ 208 ]
Yes - Israel  
 2%  [ 7 ]
Yes - Other  
 5%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 247

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:11 am
giftedmom wrote:
It feels expensive to me but I’m not the one who runs the company so I don’t know their overhead. I know they stay with lots of stock so I’m guessing that must be something they factor in.

Lots of leftover stock? Is that why the stores are always sold out and we need to shop 2 months b4 the season even begins?

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:13 am
It should be cheaper. The Muslim clothes websites have similar clothes and lower prices for example.

scruffy

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:16 am
amother Tulip wrote:
It should be cheaper. The Muslim clothes websites have similar clothes and lower prices for example.

They have higher volume.

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:19 am
I answered that it’s expensive but I think there are many stores like Junee, Tottini, Kidichic, CMoi NYC that are justified in their pricing - meaning the actual clothing and labor costs, and they have to make a profit too. I don’t think they’re ripping us off, it’s just expensive to run a store/clothing line!

Other companies/stores are super expensive and I don’t buy them.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:22 am
I am plus size and don’t mind paying more for good quality clothing. However, charging almost $200 for a mostly polyester skirt that I can probably find elsewhere for way less feels almost, I don’t know, wrong. I know the frum plus size community is small and these businesses need to make money to stay in business. But if I had to choose between the $40-$50 skirt in a non Jewish store and a skirt $200 in a Jewish store made of the same material, I’m going with the former.

giftedmom  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:27 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Lots of leftover stock? Is that why the stores are always sold out and we need to shop 2 months b4 the season even begins?

They’re not actually sold out of clothes, only sold out of certain popular styles and sizes

ChayaKa

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:47 am
If clothing is cheap people don't buy them.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:55 am
No - Israel.
I buy cheap end locally and also order from Shein. In my community there is nearly no fashion pressure, so no problem.
I fix too wide necklines myself.

amother
  Denim  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:14 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I spend the same on jewish clothing as I do on non jewish.

It doesn't have to be expensive if you shop right.

I just bought all my newborn clothes at carters $8-$12 a stretchie

My 2 year old is primarily old navy, gap… $5 a shirt, $4 for shorts …

I don’t think that exists in the frum world. Yes there are nonJewish companies that charge $40 for a stretchie but that’s non mainstream in the middle class nonfrum world - they’re shopping at target, carters , children’s place etc.

Our issue is even those of us with low incomes see $50 stretchies as a basic necessity. Bh I could afford to buy those but when my newborn needs 15 outfits every 3 months I can’t wrap my head around spending $500+ on her clothes when I could spend $80….

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:18 pm
I find Jewish brands more expensive (and often, just not my style) so only buy from them when I need something that just isn't available in the wide world,like a shell in a very specific color. I find plenty of long skirts, covered neckline, and sleeves in regular stores.

elaela

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:18 pm
I buy in nonjewish stores whatever I can due ro better quality.
Some basics ( shells, black skirts...) I might buy on sale in a jewish store, its convenient and usually hard to find in nonhewish stores in our country .
It is much cheaper for me to purchase adult shabbosdresses or skirts in nonjewish stores with great quality/ style for 30-100 euro and pay an extra 10 euro for possible alterations, than to hope to find the right style/ size for 250 euro upwards in a jewish store with signifi antly worse quality.
Especially children who outgrow quicköy or styles that arent timeless I see no reason to splurge on polyester and hanging threads.

Its a dilemma because we do want to support jewish businesses. But its also our duty to spend mindfully. We dont purchase bewest trends and only necessities, I am happy for hand ne downs too

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:22 pm
As a mom that is currently shopping for the new season: yes, I wish I can find cute, trendy, clothes in jewish stores that are cheaper
As someone who works for a Jewish clothing brand: no, our overhead is so big that the margins are really really small. There is not much lower we can go.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:30 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
No - Israel.
I buy cheap end locally and also order from Shein. In my community there is nearly no fashion pressure, so no problem.
I fix too wide necklines myself.

Where do you shop?
I find Hadas a kiddichic expensive nevermind tiptop and all the other stores I don't even enter.
I usually end up buying in kiwi/yidishkeit or leader but even them if not on sale the prices are climbing.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:41 pm
You need to compare apples to apples and define what is "basic"

Clothing that appeals to a specialized market - whatever that market is - will always be more expensive because there are no savings in terms of quantity as the amounts produced are smaller.

So everything about it will cost more - fabrics will cost more - factories will charge more for each piece - patterns will cost more because of few quantities. I mention patterns specifically because when clothing is produced there is a very skilled person who determines how to make a pattern and utilize the fabric in order to maximize as much of the fabric as possible - I.e. create less waste.

I know this because a friend's grandfather was a pattern maker back when New York still have a thriving garment business and he was a very well paid employee of the company because of his skills.

A few weeks ago there were articles about a New York socialite who had a lifestyle instagram and seemed to lead a very privileged expensive New York lifestyle - not frum. But it was all a sham and ended in tragedy.

I mention it because she dressed her children in a certain style that in many ways was the upper elite style that is favored among a certain group. While not everything is tznunis I will post a link to one of the websites she bought from because it is the same kind of very rarefied style that is often present in higher end frum children's clothing. And both are expensive because they aren't what is typically worn by secular kids except perhaps for a very special occasion like the holidays and there are then loads of options inexpensive for the girls.

https://us.bonpoint.com/?gad_s.....D_BwE

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:41 pm
I feel like it’s usually expensive for the quality.
For babies who are still in onesies personally it’s hard to find ones in the non Jewish stores that don’t look like pjs, so I do shop lil legs for that
Once big enough I will def shop h&m, old navy, carters
I shop online for a few expensive things, shabbos, dressy. Once I’m paying 40-50, may as well get a real European brand and get the quality.
and it’s something that lasts and doesn’t go out of style in a year so I can pass on to the next kid

amother
Cobalt  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:57 pm
tights that were $4 a year or two ago, are now almost $9 a pair. where does this insanity come from?
I need to get half a dozen, minimum, per kid. there's nothing less than $9.
can I buy cotton tights for kids online at a more decent price?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:01 pm
I primarily don’t buy Jewish clothing except Shabbos and uniforms because of the cost. Not Jewish is typically better quality at 1/4 of the price

amother
  Blueberry  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
tights that were $4 a year or two ago, are now almost $9 a pair. where does this insanity come from?

Inflation. The dollar is worth less. Every single thing has gone up in price. This is what happens when the govt prints money it doesn’t have.

amother
  Blue

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:08 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

Walmart has thicker cotton tights for $5.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Won.....18413

amother
Blonde  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:10 pm
I don’t buy frum clothing. Not for myself not for my kids.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics