Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
The expense of frum clothing
1  2  3  Next

Do you feel like frum basic clothes are too expensive?
No  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes - America  
 84%  [ 208 ]
Yes - Israel  
 2%  [ 7 ]
Yes - Other  
 5%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 247

papaya613  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:41 am
Do you feel like frum basic clothing should be cheaper? Do you think they could make it cheaper or this is really how much clothing needs to be.
I am talking about the average brands not any single brand

amother
Blueberry  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:43 am
I was just browsing non Jewish companies and I don’t mean the dirt cheap ones, and it’s the same price. Unless you buy from China, Amazon shein Ali, or mass produced companies target Walmart h&m, you pay similar.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:44 am
I am in Israel. Prices have climbed but I think basics are affordable.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:46 am
I totally respect that high quality clothes need to cost a bit more. And if all of these expensive frum brands were high quality then I'd get it.

But $50 for a tee shirt that's the same quality as the $10 h&m ones? Ok, maybe they need to charge a bit more because they don't manufacture as much as h&m does. So charge $20-$25 for a T-shirt, not $45-$60!

And the same for dresses. My friends and I have bought dresses from Shein and Frum stores and I can't tell you the quality differed much.

You're paying for the convenience of Tznius clothes pre-chosen. But some of these prices are laughable. I can't stomach $200 on a dress that has threads hanging.

papaya613

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:49 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
I totally respect that high quality clothes need to cost a bit more. And if all of these expensive frum brands were high quality then I'd get it.

But $50 for a tee shirt that's the same quality as the $10 h&m ones? Ok, maybe they need to charge a bit more because they don't manufacture as much as h&m does. So charge $20-$25 for a T-shirt, not $45-$60!

And the same for dresses. My friends and I have bought dresses from Shein and Frum stores and I can't tell you the quality differed much.

You're paying for the convenience of Tznius clothes pre-chosen. But some of these prices are laughable. I can't stomach $200 on a dress that has threads hanging.

I have even found that some of the brands that claim to be higher quality are not always but still charging $300 for a dress

ftm1234  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:51 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
I was just browsing non Jewish companies and I don’t mean the dirt cheap ones, and it’s the same price. Unless you buy from China, Amazon shein Ali, or mass produced companies target Walmart h&m, you pay similar.

That’s not true.

I bought all my baby’s winter stuff from Old Navy and Carters, including Shabbos outfits.
Everything was $10-15 besides the Shabbos outfits which were 25-30. Oh and they’re all 70-100% cotton.

No way I would find a 100% cotton outfit for 25 in any Jewish store.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:56 am
papaya613 wrote:
Do you feel like frum basic clothing should be cheaper? Do you think they could make it cheaper or this is really how much clothing needs to be.

Feel free to figure out how to produce frum basic clothing for cheaper and make your own brand!

giftedmom  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:57 am
It feels expensive to me but I’m not the one who runs the company so I don’t know their overhead. I know they stay with lots of stock so I’m guessing that must be something they factor in.

amother
Denim  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:59 am
From a business perspective I have no idea how much they should charge bc I don’t know their expenses.
I personally don’t feel like the quality is as good as what I’ve bought in even cheap non Jewish stores like old navy. My kids primarily shop in nonjewish stores. Until they need to for tznius reasons

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:00 am
I think the expense is directly tied to the assumption that we need frum clothing

There are so many not frum options for babies, toddlers and boys.

Even for myself I barely ever shop frum.
It's mostly my girls in the preteen and early teen years that need exclusively frum clothes.

ftm1234  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:01 am
amother Denim wrote:
From a business perspective I have no idea how much they should charge bc I don’t know their expenses.
I personally don’t feel like the quality is as good as what I’ve bought in even cheap non Jewish stores like old navy. My kids primarily shop in nonjewish stores. Until they need to for tznius reasons

Carters and Old Navy absolutely are better quality than any Jewish store I’ve ever shopped in.

amother
  Blueberry  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:01 am
ftm1234 wrote:
That’s not true.

I bought all my baby’s winter stuff from Old Navy and Carters, including Shabbos outfits.
Everything was $10-15 besides the Shabbos outfits which were 25-30. Oh and they’re all 70-100% cotton.

No way I would find a 100% cotton outfit for 25 in any Jewish store.

Those are cheap companies. All mass produced they have hundreds of store all over the US. You can’t compare them to boutique stores that pay more per item to produce.

ftm1234  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:02 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
I think the expense is directly tied to the assumption that we need frum clothing

There are so many not frum options for babies, toddlers and boys.

Even for myself I barely ever shop frum.
It's mostly my girls in the preteen and early teen years that need exclusively frum clothes.

I was just gonna say that I don’t see a need for “frum clothing” for babies and toddlers.

ftm1234  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:03 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Those are cheap companies. All mass produced they have hundreds of store all over the US. You can’t compare them to boutique stores that pay more per item to produce.

What do you mean by “cheap companies”?

amother
Blue  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:03 am
For kids - no. Between Tottini and other sites with sales (Kidichic, Double Header, etc.) clothing is very reasonable.

For teens and adults, it's much harder. I don't want to say that they can make things cheaper (I don't know if that's true at a small scale), but I find that even the sale prices are still very expensive.

amother
  Blueberry  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:04 am
ftm1234 wrote:
What do you mean by “cheap companies”?

I mean their costs are cheaper and so are their prices. They also only have basic designs, cuts and materials. Can’t be compared to non Jewish or Jewish companies that have more intricate details and designs that cost more to produce.

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:05 am
amother Blueberry wrote:

Ok, so you're only comparing to same price items and concluding it's the same price? Why not the dirt cheap ones? Old navy, walmart, and target have nice tznius clothes often for just a fraction of the price, and honestly the quality is much better thannthe stuf that costs 5x as much at frum stores. Even if the quality were worse, it would still be cheaper to buy the cheaper clothes and replace as needed. But my experience has been that theu outlast the frum products.

The only reasons to buy frum clothes is convenience and supporting frum businesses. But you're paying a premium to do so.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:07 am
I spend the same on jewish clothing as I do on non jewish.

It doesn't have to be expensive if you shop right.

amother
  Butterscotch  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:10 am
papaya613 wrote:

I feel like it's too expensive, but I can't say whether it should be cheaper or not. I would certainly buy it more if it were cheaper, but I'm happy shopping from other stores and finding tznius clothing myself and saving money. There are groups where people share tznius finds from regular stores and it's very helpful.

ftm1234  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:11 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
I mean their costs are cheaper and so are their prices. They also only have basic designs, cuts and materials. Can’t be compared to non Jewish or Jewish companies that have more intricate details and designs that cost more to produce.

I don’t find that they have only the basic cuts and designs. And what other fabrics besides cotton do you want for little kids?

Sorry, but I find jewish brands to be more boring. I didn’t see too many winter outfits that are not black/blue/brown based while my baby’s stuff has a lot more color. In fact, not even one of her outfits is black…
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics