Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Lakewood homeschool
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 5:56 am
amother Seashell wrote:
I don't know Brett Cooper, but one thing I do know - she's not living in Lakewood society, so commenting that she's well adjusted in a Lakewood thread is like, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China.

Right now, a child homeschooled in Lakewood will not likely be well-adjusted to Lakewood standards.

I am guessing PP was talking about general social skills, not Lakewood culture.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 5:57 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Is she frum
Brett Cooper works for Ben Shapiro’s company. She gives political commentary. She’s not even Jewish.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 6:32 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Most people live in Lakewood specifically for the schools. If I wanted to homeschool, I'd move oot and have some land

Who moves to Lakewood specifically for the schools? Getting into schools is the hardest part of moving to Lakewood.

amother
  Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 6:35 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Who moves to Lakewood specifically for the schools? Getting into schools is the hardest part of moving to Lakewood.

People from Lakewood will typically not move oot because of the quality of kodesh classes

amother
  Cinnamon  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:18 am
Am I missing something? What's the need for homeschooling in lakewood?

And I'm assuming you're referring to homeschooling your daughters, because for boys that would be problematic.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:27 am

I know people who moved to Lakewood for the schools. For example, they needed services that are offered in Lakewood, or they wanted the quality of Lakewood schools vs. where they had been living. Yes, it's hard to get in, but once your in, you have what they offer.

amother
  Stoneblue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:31 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
Asking an honest question: if you have a group of girls learning together, isn’t that a school? Homeschool is a parent being with the children at their home. School is children going somewhere else to learn.

It's kind of a midwise one. It's not a true homeschool obviously. But it's a far cry from the mass education in every other school.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:39 am

Even once you get in not every one wants their kid in a class of 30. If I ever decided to move or needed to that would not work for my kids. Lakewood has many appealing aspects but for me that is not one of them.

amother
  Broom  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:25 am
amother Broom wrote:
Exactly. In Lakewood they would be considered complete outcasts.

You can hug me all you want, but I speak the truth.

amother
  Firethorn  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:27 am
amother Seashell wrote:
I don't know Brett Cooper, but one thing I do know - she's not living in Lakewood society, so commenting that she's well adjusted in a Lakewood thread is like, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China.

Right now, a child homeschooled in Lakewood will not likely be well-adjusted to Lakewood standards.

Obviously I was talking about well adjusted in general. If someone’s well adjusted in general they can find their spot in Lakewood.

And if they can’t…we’d need to think long and hard if Lakewood is a really place we want to be adjusted to.

amother
  Firethorn  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:30 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
It's kind of a midwise one. It's not a true homeschool obviously. But it's a far cry from the mass education in every other school.

Plus you can save on tuition, have more say in what they’re learning and how they’re learning it (for example, who says homework is a good thing?), don’t have to vaccinate and don’t have to worry about “getting accepted”

amother
  Cinnamon  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:45 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Plus you can save on tuition, have more say in what they’re learning and how they’re learning it (for example, who says homework is a good thing?), don’t have to vaccinate and don’t have to worry about “getting accepted”

You're also removing a tremendous social aspect of their lives. You're making them different.

amother
  Nectarine  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:47 am
mha3484 wrote:
Even once you get in not every one wants their kid in a class of 30. If I ever decided to move or needed to that would not work for my kids. Lakewood has many appealing aspects but for me that is not one of them.

Not all schools here have such big classes. My kids have 24 in a class.

amother
  Nectarine  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:49 am
I don’t think homeschooling in Lakewood is more of an issue than anywhere else. They would play with their neighbors the same as everyone else, go to Sunday clubs if they want, maybe go to camp.. I don’t see the issue. Maybe in super snobby developments, but in most of Lakewood they would be just fine.

amother
  Kiwi

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:50 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

I’m more concerned about the social impact. So much growth and development and social skills evolve by being with other people. And sometimes you need to take breaks from other people.

amother
  Cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:50 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
I don’t think homeschooling in Lakewood is more of an issue than anywhere else. They would play with their neighbors the same as everyone else, go to Sunday clubs if they want, maybe go to camp.. I don’t see the issue. Maybe in super snobby developments, but in most of Lakewood they would be just fine.

It's not socially acceptable in lakewood.

amother
  Nectarine  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:52 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
It's not socially acceptable in lakewood.

It's not really socially accepted in most places. It's really no different here. It has it's pluses and minuses.

amother
  Firethorn

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:53 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
I’m more concerned about the social impact. So much growth and development and social skills evolve by being with other people. And sometimes you need to take breaks from other people.

That’s why I’m thinking a homeschool pod with around 5 other girls her age.

amother
  Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:53 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
That’s why I’m thinking a homeschool pod with around 5 other girls her age.

Pre-Coivd one of my sisters friend had her daughter in Melamed Academy with a few other girls in Lakewood. There are girls who are in such arrangements around Lakewood, I have no idea how you can get in touch with them. I think there is or was a Chat.

For boys the only home school I ever heard about was some parents pulling there kids out for English and hiring a teacher.

#BestBubby  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:48 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
You're also removing a tremendous social aspect of their lives. You're making them different.

Surprised
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling