Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Lakewood homeschool
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:11 pm
Are there people who homeschool in Lakewood? If so, do the families get together to have the kids socialize in some capacity?

Frumomsi

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:32 pm
Definitely not common. I know there are benefits of homeschooling and situations when it should be considered but families need to consider the general culture in their neighborhoods and how it will affect the children both now and the future. If all the neighbors attend school, it’s highly unlikely to have well adjusted kids who are home all day.

amother
Broom  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:34 pm
Frumomsi wrote:
Definitely not common. I know there are benefits of homeschooling and situations when it should be considered but families need to consider the general culture in their neighborhoods and how it will affect the children both now and the future. If all the neighbors attend school, it’s highly unlikely to have well adjusted kids who are home all day.

Exactly. In Lakewood they would be considered complete outcasts.

amother
Stoneblue  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:56 pm
Yes, my friend is starting a homeschool pod this year. Upper elementary girls. I think her school closed down.

amother
Nectarine  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Yes, my friend is starting a homeschool pod this year. Upper elementary girls. I think her school closed down.

A school closed this year? Are you sure?

amother
Firethorn  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:13 pm
We need to make this a thing more here. If there are a nice amount of kids in the pod they’ll be well socialized. I’d love to do this when my kids are old enough for school.

PSA: Brett Cooper was homeschooled and she’s extremely well adjusted.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:17 pm
I’d love to homeschool my kids but am too “mainstream”. I kept my kids home this summer and they all thrived in an unbelievable way. And they had a social life in the afternoon/ evenings when their friends were home from daycamp. I think they learned more this summer (without any structured learning) than they did all this school year. We went on so many nature trips and the like…

amother
Wheat  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:23 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
We need to make this a thing more here. If there are a nice amount of kids in the pod they’ll be well socialized. I’d love to do this when my kids are old enough for school.

Who's Brett Cooper?

amother
Slategray  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:32 pm
Most people live in Lakewood specifically for the schools. If I wanted to homeschool, I'd move oot and have some land

amother
Chambray  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
I’d love to homeschool my kids but am too “mainstream”. I kept my kids home this summer and they all thrived in an unbelievable way. And they had a social life in the afternoon/ evenings when their friends were home from daycamp. I think they learned more this summer (without any structured learning) than they did all this school year. We went on so many nature trips and the like…
Just want to say I love this. I'm in lakewood. Don't have the guts to homeschool either, or to keep my kids home from day camp in the summer, but I really admire this. Kol hakavod.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:55 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Just want to say I love this. I'm in lakewood. Don't have the guts to homeschool either, or to keep my kids home from day camp in the summer, but I really admire this. Kol hakavod.

It takes guts to keep your kids home from camp?

amother
  Firethorn  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Most people live in Lakewood specifically for the schools. If I wanted to homeschool, I'd move oot and have some land

Or the jobs

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are there people who homeschool in Lakewood? If so, do the families get together to have the kids socialize in some capacity?
Move to Baltimore, op! There is a thriving community of homeschoolers here.

amother
  Firethorn  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 9:04 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Who's Brett Cooper?

Here’s her YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/@thecommen.....IHPMT

amother
Cinnamon  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 12:05 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Here’s her YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/@thecommen.....IHPMT

Is she frum

Rebs222

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 2:50 am
I heard about the school that closed down. Was it Bnos Sarah? Was wondering what the former students would do for upcoming school year since it was an out of the box school-?

Beautiful

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:17 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Is she frum

No she's not Jewish. She's a conservative.

amother
Kiwi  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:55 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:

Asking an honest question: if you have a group of girls learning together, isn’t that a school? Homeschool is a parent being with the children at their home. School is children going somewhere else to learn.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:24 am
Rebs222 wrote:
I heard about the school that closed down. Was it Bnos Sarah? Was wondering what the former students would do for upcoming school year since it was an out of the box school-?

Was this the montessori style school?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 8:54 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

I don't know Brett Cooper, but one thing I do know - she's not living in Lakewood society, so commenting that she's well adjusted in a Lakewood thread is like, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China.

Right now, a child homeschooled in Lakewood will not likely be well-adjusted to Lakewood standards.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling