amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 1:58 pm
Which double tree do people stay at? What’s the address

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:23 am
Hey123 wrote:
looking to go the week of the 25th. Double tree is booked, thinking to stay at the Wyndham.
Does anyone know if there's minyanim in the Wyndham?
TIA

We went last year at the end of August and had minyanim.
We are planning on going the 25th again, so so far there's us (if you're going at the beginning of the week)!

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 10:24 am
Where can I make a BBQ?
Also, is it ok to use a betty crocker in a hotel?
Thanks!

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 10:32 am
We stayed at the Eden resort. They have an outdoor splashpad that all my kids loved. It was a little tricky with my boys but we got there as it opened and left when ppl started coming. We got a good amount of time (not long) by ourselves and it was very very worth it

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 11:11 am
amother Clear wrote:
Where can I make a BBQ?
Also, is it ok to use a betty crocker in a hotel?
Thanks!

We made a BBQ in Long's Park.
No idea re the betty crocker.

amother
NeonGreen  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 11:32 am
Is hand on house appropriate for all ages 1 through 13?

amother
  Tuberose  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:36 am
wyndham or double tree? which is better? little kids

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:19 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
wyndham or double tree? which is better? little kids

Are rooms still available in both for what you want?

amother
  Tuberose

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Are rooms still available in both for what you want?

yes

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:58 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
yes

We looked into the double tree and were seriously considering it. These were my personal pros vs cons for the doubletree and wyndham

Pros for Wyndham vs Doubletree:
Price for the rooms we need were much lower in total
They said I could call a few days before arrival when the assign the rooms to get connecting rooms
We stayed there last year and were happy
The kids enjoyed the splash pad
We liked that they have multiple pools - one that is indoor and outdoor one also has a couple of smaller pools/maybe hot tubs? I don't remember exactly. So my husband and kids went in one of those last year when it was pretty empty out there in general.
They have (hopefully they still do) a room for little kids to play in (suitable for really little kids, my then 6 and 8 yr olds last year enjoyed it at first, but then it was a little boring, although if there wouldn't have been anything else to do maybe they would have just made do), and a game room
They are across from Dutch Wonderland and near other hotels if we wouldn't have had a minyan there (which we did have...)

Pros for Doubletree vs Windham:
They would have given me connecting rooms when booking, (but for a higher price and the prices in general were higher for the rooms we need)
The hotel looks/is nicer
It's rated better, I think
The water play area is indoors

In the end the receptionists at the Wyndham were very helpful to me, the pricing was more in the range we had wanted to pay, and we ended up going with that. Maybe one day we'll go to a bigger, nicer, resort... but for now the Wyndham seems nice too and suits our needs.

amother
  Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 10:28 am
Just want to point out...for anyone choosing hotels based on proximity to Dutch wonderland
...dutch wonderland is closed next week except for fri/sat/sun

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 10:46 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
Just want to point out...for anyone choosing hotels based on proximity to Dutch wonderland
...dutch wonderland is closed next week except for fri/sat/sun

We are going straight there on Sunday, but really any place should be checked out for their schedule... Cherry Crest Farms is not open on Sunday and Monday, so other places also may have such schedules.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 6:35 am
I wanted to post an update here in case it would help anyone. We went to Lancaster again this year, we stayed in the Wyndham near Dutch Wonderland. There were many yidden there and plenty for minyan. Here is what we did:

Day #1: Drove straight to Dutch Wonderland. Had lunch in the car shortly before arriving. The kids had a great time there, lots of different rides for everyone. It was hot, and a lot of walking, but overall it was really nice. We had plenty of drink/snack stops along the way. We did not go to the water part of the park.

After that we checked into the hotel, had supper (we had bought chicken finger type food with us for supper) and just relaxed after the tiring day.

Day #2: We got bagels for breakfast from the Shul + whatever cereal and spreads we had brought with us + some fruit. We went to the National Train Museum (not Choo Choo Barn). It was really great. There were so many things to look at and buttons to press to make trains go around or other things move or light up, everyone enjoyed.

After that we had lunch in the car while we drove to the Lancaster Science Factory. It was great for everyone, some of my kids could have stayed there for a really long time, there were all different things for the kids to do there.

After that we stopped off at the shul and bought pizza + fries for supper at the hotel. We made a short stop to That Pet Place/That Fish Place and checked out the different animals and critters there. The woman who was taking care of the cats/kittens let my kids come in to that section and pet some of them. There was a lot to look at there, even a section where you could pet a stingray, but we had to make it quick because it had already been a long day out and it was suppertime for the kids.

We got back to the hotel, had supper, and sometime later got ready to go to the outdoor pool. We headed there, there was a splash pad also, and had a great time in the water.

At some point over our stay we also used the toddler play area and the arcade room.

Day #3: We packed up to leave and headed to Cherry Crest Farm. I remembered from last year that after a couple of hours we thought we were done because it was so hot and we were so exhausted, but then we bought some cold drinks and got more energy to stay a while longer. So this year we packed up drinks ahead of time with lots of ice and plenty of snacks and made lots of stops to refresh ourselves while we were there. The kids really enjoyed although it was super super hot and draining.

After that we recuperated from the hear and exhaustion in the air-conditioned car and then we headed towards home. We stopped at Kerr's Park on the way and had a small bbq, and then went home.

All in all, it was a great family trip, a nice break from the usual, and filled with lots of great memories and experiences B"H! I think next year we will be ready to do something new!

Listing here food/drinks we brought with us in case it would help anyone:

Milk
Tons of water
box drinks
some bottled drinks I.e. powerade, sprite, etc.
seltzer cans
small chocolate milks/iced capps
mini snapples
ground coffee (we brought an electric urn with us)
Some of the drinks we froze before we left, some we put in ice the night before we went to cherry crest farm, and then changed the ice in the morning so they would stay really cold throughout the day.

Buns, pita
Cream cheese, tuna, hummus, matbucha, smart balance
yoghurts- regular ones and lots of squeeze ones
squeeze lebens
string cheese, sliced cheese
hard-boiled eggs
hummus+ pretzels

cooked noodles
chicken fingers
deli
some leftovers from Shabbos
tradition soups
cereal
ketchup

crackers
rice cakes
granola bars
fig bars
chocolate granola type bars
craisins
gum
some sticky things like fruit roll ups
snack bags like flutes, corn pops, chips, cookies, onion rings, etc.
squeeze applesauce

apples, plums, nectarines, grapes, cucumbers, lettuce, pickles, grape tomatoes, peppers (all pre-washed)

Hot water urn, tongs, portable grill, fleishig knife, pareve knife, roll of paper towels, box of tissues, plates, bowls, cups, spoons, forks, knives, plastic tablecloths, garbage bags, assorted baggies (gallon, snack size, quart size etc.) Cooler bags, cooler backpack, freezer packs...

I don't know whatever else I left out but hopefully this list is helpful.

amother
  Copper

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:
I wanted to post an update here in case it would help anyone. We went to Lancaster again this year, we stayed in the Wyndham near Dutch Wonderland. There were many yidden there and plenty for minyan. Here is what we did:

Day #1: Drove straight to Dutch Wonderland. Had lunch in the car shortly before arriving. The kids had a great time there, lots of different rides for everyone. It was hot, and a lot of walking, but overall it was really nice. We had plenty of drink/snack stops along the way. We did not go to the water part of the park.

After that we checked into the hotel, had supper (we had bought chicken finger type food with us for supper) and just relaxed after the tiring day.

Day #2: We got bagels for breakfast from the Shul + whatever cereal and spreads we had brought with us + some fruit. We went to the National Train Museum (not Choo Choo Barn). It was really great. There were so many things to look at and buttons to press to make trains go around or other things move or light up, everyone enjoyed.

After that we had lunch in the car while we drove to the Lancaster Science Factory. It was great for everyone, some of my kids could have stayed there for a really long time, there were all different things for the kids to do there.

After that we stopped off at the shul and bought pizza + fries for supper at the hotel. We made a short stop to That Pet Place/That Fish Place and checked out the different animals and critters there. The woman who was taking care of the cats/kittens let my kids come in to that section and pet some of them. There was a lot to look at there, even a section where you could pet a stingray, but we had to make it quick because it had already been a long day out and it was suppertime for the kids.

We got back to the hotel, had supper, and sometime later got ready to go to the outdoor pool. We headed there, there was a splash pad also, and had a great time in the water.

At some point over our stay we also used the toddler play area and the arcade room.

Day #3: We packed up to leave and headed to Cherry Crest Farm. I remembered from last year that after a couple of hours we thought we were done because it was so hot and we were so exhausted, but then we bought some cold drinks and got more energy to stay a while longer. So this year we packed up drinks ahead of time with lots of ice and plenty of snacks and made lots of stops to refresh ourselves while we were there. The kids really enjoyed although it was super super hot and draining.

After that we recuperated from the hear and exhaustion in the air-conditioned car and then we headed towards home. We stopped at Kerr's Park on the way and had a small bbq, and then went home.

All in all, it was a great family trip, a nice break from the usual, and filled with lots of great memories and experiences B"H! I think next year we will be ready to do something new!

Listing here food/drinks we brought with us in case it would help anyone:

Milk
Tons of water
box drinks
some bottled drinks I.e. powerade, sprite, etc.
seltzer cans
small chocolate milks/iced capps
mini snapples
ground coffee (we brought an electric urn with us)
Some of the drinks we froze before we left, some we put in ice the night before we went to cherry crest farm, and then changed the ice in the morning so they would stay really cold throughout the day.

Buns, pita
Cream cheese, tuna, hummus, matbucha, smart balance
yoghurts- regular ones and lots of squeeze ones
squeeze lebens
string cheese, sliced cheese
hard-boiled eggs
hummus+ pretzels

cooked noodles
chicken fingers
deli
some leftovers from Shabbos
tradition soups
cereal
ketchup

crackers
rice cakes
granola bars
fig bars
chocolate granola type bars
craisins
gum
some sticky things like fruit roll ups
snack bags like flutes, corn pops, chips, cookies, onion rings, etc.
squeeze applesauce

apples, plums, nectarines, grapes, cucumbers, lettuce, pickles, grape tomatoes, peppers (all pre-washed)

Hot water urn, tongs, portable grill, fleishig knife, pareve knife, roll of paper towels, box of tissues, plates, bowls, cups, spoons, forks, knives, plastic tablecloths, garbage bags, assorted baggies (gallon, snack size, quart size etc.) Cooler bags, cooler backpack, freezer packs...

I don't know whatever else I left out but hopefully this list is helpful.

Sounds like everything worked out really well for you! That's the dream, to have a trip where everything goes right and everyone enjoys! Thanks for sharing your update.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:57 am
Op sounds really nice.
Is Lancaster doable for Shabbos? Minyan etc
Thanks

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:16 am
amother Copper wrote:
Sounds like everything worked out really well for you! That's the dream, to have a trip where everything goes right and everyone enjoys! Thanks for sharing your update.

Thanks. I think a lot was also adjusting our expectations. Going to a place and knowing one kid is not going to be so interested and probably going to complain, and that's ok, I don't have to get annoyed about it. Knowing it's going to be really really hot and prepare accordingly. Knowing the kids are going to need the bathroom right after we ask if anyone needs it and they say no...Not being in a rush to get to the next exhibit if the kids are having fun right where they are, etc.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:18 am
amother Cognac wrote:
Op sounds really nice.
Is Lancaster doable for Shabbos? Minyan etc
Thanks

I have no idea. Maybe start a new thread about that. You can try calling the shul there (Degel Israel) and ask them. There were many many people there during the week, and there are people who live there...

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 11:08 am
Just curious why don't ppl coming all the way to Lancaster make more of a focus on seeing Amish ppl and speaking to them? Most ppl go to Dutch Wonderland which is an amusement park which u can do anywhere!
I stayed near Amish farms when I went and found their lifestyle fascinating.

amother
  Hawthorn  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 11:32 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Just curious why don't ppl coming all the way to Lancaster make more of a focus on seeing Amish ppl and speaking to them? Most ppl go to Dutch Wonderland which is an amusement park which u can do anywhere!
I stayed near Amish farms when I went and found their lifestyle fascinating.

You know they are Christians- right?

amother
  NeonGreen

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 11:57 am
Yes. It's not their religion that's fascinating, just the way they live.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics